U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,224,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCiticen View Post

3) Hidden:
A friend of mine - carpenter - was shocked by the low quality of many houses, cheap, but substandard houses; big suburb houses, that are built for only 10 or 20 years
He hit a nail on the head (pun) with that observation, too.

Atlanta's HUGE building boom over the years of course came to a near grinding stop with everyone else's recently. But for a good long while it was hard to go to any area and not see several subdivisions of homes going up.

The company I work for in construction-related, and I have been in homes costing well over a million dollars that were very literally, built like crap. Substandard wood, nails, brackets missing here and there, cheap plywood and insulation, poorly poured foundations with sub par concrete... the list goes on. Many people didn't have a clue when they saw the finished and beautifully decorated model home that they were not much better built than a mud and straw house - I figure those people (in the thousands) are now starting to figure this out... and with the recession most likely those particular builders are now out of business, so, no compensation for them, either. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Yes, many British friends of mine have commented that when they first came to the USA they were absolutely terrified and one even got a license to carry a concealed weapon because they were all afraid that they would get shot! On the contrary the majority of the USA is a pleasant place to live and visit - most of the crime exists in concentrated centers of most major cities and you try to avoid them.
Actually, this is changing in a number of cities. Cities like Atlanta are tearing down the "housing projects" in the inner city, and helping the people who lived in them get special vouchers and assistance to rent homes in many of the surrounding suburban areas. As a result, in the last few years, we're seeing the crime trend "flip" - once bad neighborhoods intown don't look so scary anymore, and some of the once desirable suburbs are turning into slum areas. I think this trend is happening more in the South, and Southern midWestern cities more than the North, but where it is happening it's hard to tell you're in a "bad" neighborhood, because the areas now look like typical suburban neighborhoods - until night.

This is confusing to foreigners who actually move here. They expect bad neighborhoods to LOOK bad. So they'll hit a suburban area, think it looks very nice, buy a home, only to find out there are a dozen Section 8 households on their street, all with teens with long police records. Bad neighborhoods are no long identified with graffiti, fallen brick walls, and kids breaking a fire hydrant to play in.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:55 PM

22,120 posts, read 23,634,230 times
At least they're new! That's really what matters, you know. Who wants to live in an old house, I mean, they're old.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:06 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
At least they're new! That's really what matters, you know. Who wants to live in an old house, I mean, they're old.
They don't make 'em like they used to. Old houses are better detailed, have more character, and will probably outlast the newer ones. Most of those old houses here in the U.S. are built like bomb shelters. If you update the insulation, windows, etc. and maintain them they're so much nicer.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,264 times
Mexicans, Haitians, and Cubans are shocked by all of the "freedom"

Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
You don't have to be rich to shop at whole foods, you might have to cut back on your meat, frozen dinners, snacks, alcohol and cheese though. This stuff is more expensive and now you will actually see real costs of production when you shop there and not deflated factory farm frankenmeat prices. Processed dairy and factory farm meats/eggs are NOT helping your health. You can actually get bulk stuff and their 365 brands cheaper than you would buy at say, Safeway/Publix/etc. It would probably be healthier to eat vegetarian/vegan diet staples that you know are quality anyway. But hey if you have the money go for the organic meats/dairy/eggs and wild caught fish or buy it less often. For what I buy I save way more money buying staples at WF, TJs and ethnic stores than supermarkets. I'm not saying to go all vegan/vegetarian, hey I LOVE meat, I just don't eat much of it because I can't afford it and know the usual stuff is not good for you w/ traces of pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, unnatural diets, skewed fatty acid ratios, etc.

Last edited by grapico; 06-14-2009 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You don't have to be rich to shop at whole foods, you might have to cut back on your meat, frozen dinners, snacks, alcohol and cheese though. This stuff is more expensive and now you will actually see real costs of production when you shop there and not deflated factory farm frankenmeat prices. Processed dairy and factory farm meats/eggs are NOT helping your health. You can actually get bulk stuff and their 365 brands cheaper than you would buy at say, Safeway/Publix/etc. It would probably be healthier to eat vegetarian/vegan diet staples that you know are quality anyway. But hey if you have the money go for the organic meats/dairy/eggs and wild caught fish or buy it less often. For what I buy I save way more money buying staples at WF, TJs and ethnic stores than supermarkets. I'm not saying to go all vegan/vegetarian, hey I LOVE meat, I just don't eat much of it because I can't afford it and know the usual stuff is not good for you w/ traces of pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, unnatural diets, skewed fatty acid ratios, etc.

Wow one of the first posts I agree with you o.O

So, there's good genetic engineering and cross breeding and then there's bad. The good ones are what helped Pakistan and many other third world nations feed their own people. I forgot the name of the dude, but he won the Nobel Peace prize for saving, by some estimates, 1 billion people from starvation due to his cross-breeding wheat that is resistant to bugs and is able to grow in many places.

The bad is when huge factory farms use genetic engineered crops which require tons of one particular type of pesticide.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,530,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There are plenty of heavy older women in Europe... they just don't get out much...

Friends have mentioned to me that over weight American Women really stand-out in Europe because they wear pants suits and make-up...

I guess over weight European Women don't wear pant suits and make up
Yeah plenty, but not everywhere you go..

Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
Another friend of mine who is from Belgium said he was shocked to see so many churches and religious fundamentalists when he went to the Deep South.

It made him wonder just what was wrong with the USA to have fostered that. I couldn't answer for him.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:34 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
im a fake foreigner was born here but out of the country many years.
when i came back i flew to oakland ca for the 1st time went to a BART station pretty girl with nice clothes inc nice jeans sitting cross legged on the cement sidewalk, of course i came up asked her if she was hurt and needed assistance.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,607,848 times
my ex girlfriend came from a village in the philippines and she pretty much expected the streets to be made of gold. she also didnt understand why everyone worked so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or