Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Also helps when the war occurred 150 years ago.
It also helps that during the decades after the war, the political and cultural leaders, plus the people all made a conscious effort to heal the rift which caused the war. This desire to heal the rift had some unfortunate consequences, such as northern acquiescence to Jim Crow, but overall it helped to rebuild a solidly united country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
I'm surprised by the difference in architecture when I cross the border from Quebec into New England. The style of houses changes immediately as you cross the border. I'm always surprised by how strong regional American accents are. I'm used to seeing General American accent spoken on TV which happens to be very close to my own regional Anglo-Quebecker accent, so I forget that most Americans generally have a very different accent from mine in the real world. I get surprised by toll roads and gated communities, both of which are quite foreign to me. We only recently got our first toll bridge in my city and gated communities don't exist, most people haven't even heard of them, I only found out because my very middle class uncle lives in one in Orlando.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
The variation in accents comes from the various immigrant cultures populating America. I think it isn't as widespread in Canada except for Quebec because most Canadians until recently descended from English or Scots Irish. Of course now Canada is far more diverse, but the accent became uniform due to 200 years of migration from similar locales.

The general American accent is preferred on television because it is easy to understand. News stations and radio stations used to prefer Midwestern Americans (usually from the Great Plains or Northern Midwest) as reporters and news anchors because of that accent.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
I was just in China with my wife visiting her relatives this last week- and one of them who just came back from a visit to the US said he was actually surprised by how crappy some things looked. Such as the New York subway system- it looks so dirty, so run down- so opposite of the rich, fancy impression they have of the US- and so opposite to the clean, ultra modern subways they have in the big Chinese cities.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
That we still do not show x rated commercials on public TV...

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm surprised by the difference in architecture when I cross the border from Quebec into New England. The style of houses changes immediately as you cross the border. I'm always surprised by how strong regional American accents are. I'm used to seeing General American accent spoken on TV which happens to be very close to my own regional Anglo-Quebecker accent, so I forget that most Americans generally have a very different accent from mine in the real world. I get surprised by toll roads and gated communities, both of which are quite foreign to me. We only recently got our first toll bridge in my city and gated communities don't exist, most people haven't even heard of them, I only found out because my very middle class uncle lives in one in Orlando.
There is also a definite difference in regional architecture within the US, especially in terms of residential housing, for example if you compare New England with the stucco-colored ranch houses in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. I would assume the Quebec buildings are more French? Is English Canada's architecture similar to the northern and midwestern US? I don't know why there are no gated communities in Canada.

Toll roads are a very East Coast thing, btw, you do not see many in places in the South, and when you see them, the tolls are much more reasonable than in New Jersey or Delaware, or here in Maryland where our liberal governor is doubling all tolls.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I was just in China with my wife visiting her relatives this last week- and one of them who just came back from a visit to the US said he was actually surprised by how crappy some things looked. Such as the New York subway system- it looks so dirty, so run down- so opposite of the rich, fancy impression they have of the US- and so opposite to the clean, ultra modern subways they have in the big Chinese cities.
New York is famous but its by no means the most modern city in the US. Places like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Charlotte, and Atlanta are MUCH more modern, also Los Angeles has a nice modern subway system.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,320 times
I am from France and the thing that shock me about the US is the way you see the world.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:51 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There is also a definite difference in regional architecture within the US, especially in terms of residential housing, for example if you compare New England with the stucco-colored ranch houses in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. I would assume the Quebec buildings are more French? Is English Canada's architecture similar to the northern and midwestern US? I don't know why there are no gated communities in Canada.

Toll roads are a very East Coast thing, btw, you do not see many in places in the South, and when you see them, the tolls are much more reasonable than in New Jersey or Delaware, or here in Maryland where our liberal governor is doubling all tolls.
That may be the case with government funded toll roads, but privatized toll roads are ideal for conservatives since they are not funded by tax dollars. I'm not sure if there are any privatized toll roads in the U.S., since they are all part of the federal interstate system, but in Japan a private company called NEXCO owns the toll roads. That company might be subsidized though. A few years ago, the prime minister wanted to remove the tolls, but many people were against it since they would be paying taxes for something they don't use (because many people in Japan commute via rail or drive on the regular roads).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New York is famous but its by no means the most modern city in the US. Places like Houston, Dallas, Miami, Charlotte, and Atlanta are MUCH more modern, also Los Angeles has a nice modern subway system.
NYC and other NE cities are older so much of their architecture is "classic" (ex: Empire State and Chrystler Building), while Southern and West Coast cities are newer and most of their buildings were constructed in the last few decates. Although the new skyscrapers in NYC including the Freedom Tower will give the city a more modern look, and blend with the aforementioned classic structures.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
People from many parts of Asia are surprised that almost no one has a maid or a cook like most succesful families have in their country. They are also surprised that we have to work so much with so few holidays to make a living. Their perception was that we Americans are "rich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.