U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
I just bought a house in Levittown on Long Island. I think it's pretty "mayberry". Lots of movies and books take place in Levittown in the 50s and 60s. Maybe it isn't so much now, but definitely back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,158,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I just bought a house in Levittown on Long Island. I think it's pretty "mayberry". Lots of movies and books take place in Levittown in the 50s and 60s. Maybe it isn't so much now, but definitely back then.
Except that instead of Aunt Bee, you'll have Marie Barone.

I'll take Aunt Bee, any day.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Except that instead of Aunt Bee, you'll have Marie Barone.

I'll take Aunt Bee, any day.

And a very influential Vietnam vet, along with others in history

YouTube - Born On The 4th Of July - Trailer

Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
I would sure love to find it, my wish would be for a town with diversity, where everybody said hi, where your political party wouldn't matter, where you would pick the man not a party, where you could go for walks and see people on there porches, or working in there gardens,--- WOW I can almost smell aunt bees apple pies.
Go to the deep south for the bold

Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,653,507 times
A word of caution: Mayberry (well, all of its small town equivalents throughout the United States) is in the throes of a serious methamphetamine epidemic. The dangers of this drug are a persistent and insidious problem for small town america. If you are looking for a place that is relatively umblemished by the scourge of meth, you would be well-served to look at more affluent small town communities (Jackson, WY, Vail, CO, etc). Of course, the wealthier you get, the less "Mayberry" the small town. Not trying to be a buzzkill, its just that every place has its problems. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:07 PM

56,675 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Here's information on the town that inspired "Mayberry" and is Andy Griffith's hometown: Mount Airy, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mayberry days rfd in mount airy, north carolina - the andy griffith show nc

City of Mount Airy Website

Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Go to the deep south for the bold
As well as the Midwest/Great Lakes region.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 PM

56,675 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
As well as the Midwest/Great Lakes region.
and Upstate NY, for the most part.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,051,879 times
Mayberries are not "diverse, progressive, and tolerant". They do however have a homey feel and a small town charm so rare in these days of Wal-Mart and chain restaurants. Your best bet would be to look in the rural New England states, like Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. The area commonly mistaken for Mayberry i.e. the South is not so much these days.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,591,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
I would sure love to find it, my wish would be for a town with diversity, where everybody said hi, where your political party wouldn't matter, where you would pick the man not a party, where you could go for walks and see people on there porches, or working in there gardens,--- WOW I can almost smell aunt bees apple pies.
The whole picture you paint above is so not "Mayberry". Mayberry was a small quiet all white southern town in the 1960's. ( I remember being shocked during one of the color episodes that you could actually see a black man walking on the sidewalk in the background). There's nothing diverse are tolerant about that. Yeah it was a friendly town but that was because everybody there was mostly the same (some just a little countryer or more idiosyncric than others).

I don't know where you would find the type of town you're talking of but Mount Airy North Carolina or any other true type Mayberry town wouldn't be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or