U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,845 posts, read 21,150,344 times
Reputation: 9420

Advertisements

Wow, this really surprised me - since 1980 the life expectancy for women declined in 12 percent of American counties. In parts of Southern Appalachia the decline is as high as 5 years

U.S. Life Expectancy Declines - Life Expectancy in Some Counties Declines
Life Expectancy Drops for Some U.S. Women - washingtonpost.com

Here is a map of the data from MIT

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2009, 02:30 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,156,050 times
Reputation: 3308
It doesn't surprise me much. My grandmother lives in Kentucky, right on the border of the 3rd world mountains known as Appalachia, in a small town of just 1700. The way people live there is terrible. I just visited 4 weeks ago.

I don't want to insult anyone's lifestyle, but when people are overweight, they smoke, and they just don't take care of themselves, they aren't going to live as long. Appalachia has entire towns where everyone living there is like that. My grandmother had lost every single one of her teeth by the time she was 36. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Until the mentality in those towns changes, things will probably just get worse.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,616,779 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It doesn't surprise me much. My grandmother lives in Kentucky, right on the border of the 3rd world mountains known as Appalachia, in a small town of just 1700. The way people live there is terrible. I just visited 4 weeks ago.

I don't want to insult anyone's lifestyle, but when people are overweight, they smoke, and they just don't take care of themselves, they aren't going to live as long. Appalachia has entire towns where everyone living there is like that. My grandmother had lost every single one of her teeth by the time she was 36. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Until the mentality in those towns changes, things will probably just get worse.
That would explain why it would be low in the first place. But what would explain why it would be getting lower?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
Reputation: 48187
hi increase in mortality on the coast. when women took those "guy jobs". their stress went way up. its now a girls world but #1 killer of women is heart attack.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,872,352 times
Reputation: 980
Maybe it is the sweet tea, fried chicken, ribs, fried okra, etc

Or it could be the little caesars, burger king, sonic, chick fil a, mcdonalds, hardees, kfc, taco bell within a 1/4 mile radius.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,487,190 times
Reputation: 944
Noticing the gender gap.... I'd have to say smoking is a big factor here. All recent studies have pointed towards males smoking less and females smoking more....with that much of a gender gap for declining life expectancies....the cause would have to be something females are starting to do more and males are either holding steady or declining.... and the big one I can think of is smoking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Reputation: 23217
Could it be a difference of who lives there. I lived in an area where most people lived to be 80 or 90. A lot of these people had ancestors from the area of Ireland and Scotland who traditionally had long lives. That area is now getting many people with different ancestors than those. We usually ate very little meat after breakfast and worked in the garden to grow those. Different lifestyles and different ancestors combined can make the statistics change.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,351,048 times
Reputation: 810
Perhaps it has something to do with... oh say access to medical facilities and health insurance...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Reputation: 23217
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Perhaps it has something to do with... oh say access to medical facilities and health insurance...
Statistics show that the further you are from these, the more likely you are to be healthy. In looking at the North Carolina map, the areas with the best medical have the decline. The mountains and the coast where there is little in the way of medical care have no change or improvement. Charlotte has improvement, but again I think that is a change of who is living there. Charlotte has a lot of transplants.

I read that statistic years ago and it stuck in my mind. For instance someone who lives in the wilds of Alaska will probably be more healthy than someone living in Chicago. Eating natural is always good though. When I was growing up on a farm in the mountains of North Carolina, I might get candy once in a few months. Now it is available at the service station less than a half mile away.

Last edited by NCN; 06-15-2009 at 07:45 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 AM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Reputation: 23217
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Could it be a difference of who lives there. I lived in an area where most people lived to be 80 or 90. A lot of these people had ancestors from the area of Ireland and Scotland who traditionally had long lives. That area is now getting many people with different ancestors than those. We usually ate very little meat after breakfast and worked in the garden to grow those. Different lifestyles and different ancestors combined can make the statistics change.
Sometimes I cannot believe what I post late at night. LOL We worked in the garden to grow vegetables, not meat. Somehow I left that out.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top