U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM

47 posts, read 79,080 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for a sweet walkable town in the northeast that is good for families. Willing to drive to a few things, especially to get a full load of groceries and big malls, but are there are walkable heavens out there? I think a town center has sidewalks and places like a great library, post office, bank, and anything else you may thing of on Old main street. Not a huge bar scene, but food places are nice. Extra stuff like a public school, playground, or park are great! Plaza's, strip malls (park and go) and fast food centers that you have to cross a 5-6 lane road is not helpful. Great schools and community are helpful, as is a city near-by for jobs and major museums, zoos, bus system, etc. Organic is a major plus! And the village neighborhood should be great about holidays for kids, etc and have more owners than renters. Thank you!

Walkscore is a great website, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM

56,985 posts, read 81,344,865 times
I would go with Ithaca NY. It has the Downtown area called the Commons, which is very pedestrian friendly. It's a college town of about 32,000 with Ivy League Cornell University and Ithaca College. It has a very good school district in the Ithaca city School District. It's a very diverse and cosmopolitan city for it's size and is an area known for being "liberal" too.

Here's some information you might like to check out on the city: Complete guide to Ithaca, NY hotels, attractions, dining, shopping and recreation with maps and driving directions. The official web site of Ithaca, New York and Tompkins County Convention and Visitors Bureau in the Finger Lakes.

Ithaca

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Ecovillage at Ithaca

Cornell University

Sciencenter, Ithaca NY

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/gr.../14havens.html

Ithaca Farmers Market

Ithaca Hours - Local Currency - Ithaca, New York

Museum of the Earth

Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet

Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

Ithaca City School District - Home

http://www.greenstar.coop/

http://www.tcatbus.com/

You might also like the Elmwood Village area of Buffalo:
The Elmwood Village Association

Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau

My Elmwood Village New York : Buffalo New York Neighborhood Information & Events

PS 56 Frederick Law Olmsted

Welcome To The Buffalo Zoo

Lexington Co-operative Market

http://www.nfta.com/metro/ (broken link)

You might some other communities like Oneonta, Binghamton, parts of Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and Albany and some sleepers might be Watertown, Glens Falls, Plattsburgh, Oswego, Schenectady, Troy, Rome, Saratoga Springs and Auburn, among others as far as Upstate NY goes.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-14-2009 at 07:02 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 07:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,772,326 times
Look into West Chester PA, Media PA, Collingswood NJ, and Haddonfield NJ, these towns should meet all your needs.

Downtown West Chester PA - The Perfect Town, Downtown West Chester Pennsylvania and West Chester BID

Welcome Home: Media, PA

Collingswood, New Jersey | Collingswood, New Jersey

Haddonfieldnj.org - A website all about Haddonfield, New Jersey, featuring updates on Haddonfield events and happenings as well as important community information.

Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 AM

4,251 posts, read 9,748,738 times
If you're checking out Ithaca you might also look at nearby Cortland. It offers a different approach to walkable livability without the "scene," if you will. I grew up between the two, also spent some time living in each and walking to employment in each, and just feel there's more traffic, crowds, stress in Ithaca than in Cortland. City of Cortland Official Web Site

Old 06-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
If you're checking out Ithaca you might also look at nearby Cortland. It offers a different approach to walkable livability without the "scene," if you will. I grew up between the two, also spent some time living in each and walking to employment in each, and just feel there's more traffic, crowds, stress in Ithaca than in Cortland. City of Cortland Official Web Site

I thought about Cortland too. It is closer to Syracuse and accessible due to I-81. It's close to Binghamton as well. So, that might be a good choice due to it's location in terms of jobs and cultural events to those cities.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Another place to consider is the village of Liverpool NY, just north of Syracuse. It has a very walkable business district with parks, a grocery store, library, an elementary and middle school down the street, has places to eat, is located on Onondaga Lake, has Bus lines that go through the area, you can get to Downtown Syracuse in 10 minutes tops and more. Village of Liverpool Home Page

Liverpool, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liverpool Central School District

Some other smaller communities/villages you might like Upstate are: Baldwinsville, Fayetteville, Manlius and North Syracuse outside of Syracuse; East Rochester, Pittsford, Fairport, Webster and Spencerport outside of Rochester; Kenmore, Depew, Lancaster and Williamsville otside of Buffalo; Scotia, Ballston Spa, Colonie, Altamont and maybe Waterford in the Albany/Capital District area; Johnson City, Endicott, Endwell, Port Dickinson, nearby Owego and parts of Vestal in the Binghamton area; Clinton, New Hartford, Herkimer and NY Mills in the Utica-Rome area and maybe even Dryden in the Ithaca area, Elmira Heights and Horseheads in the Elmira area, as well as Hudson Falls and South Glens Falls in the Glens Falls area.

Some cities and villages I left out are Jamestown, Corning, Fredonia, Lockport, Olean, Bath and Hornell.

Here's some more info. you might like:
USA Zoos: Zoos in New York

Coop Directory Listing

APTA: New York Transit Links

United States Museums by State: New York , New York State Museums and Historic Sites, New York History Net , Culture & Museums

I LOVE NEW YORK - The Official New York State Tourism Website

http://www.nymainstreet.org/

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-15-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,238,376 times
Be careful with "walkscore" and don't rely on their lists too much.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Thank you!

I have researched Rochester, NY a lot. I love the town of Pittsford the best and would move there. The proximity of the library(and BTW has a major children's wing that is A+ and you can eat in the library), to the high school, and everything else...located near houses that have nice size lots, about .2-.25 acres, is really ideal! There school district is A+ too, high schools are in the top 100.

I was hoping to find something in another region because the snowfall (high) and sunshine (kind of low). I was hoping for more leads in Vermont or Massachusetts, etc. I am still researching what dailyjournalist wrote...so far West Chester doesn't look hopeful because of the lack of children's culture, civic life there...

I have lived in Buffalo and, well, the schools are not as great as the Rochester area, and that area compared to Rochester is not as green. So many farms and parks in the area, great museums for kids, great indoor play gyms for kids and the routes you drive around Rochester seem to be pretty.

Ithaca, well I totally agree! They have enough museums to support the community and is a really beautiful little town. The job market would be hard though and I am concerned about more renters and students being in the community than would be fun. I mean, I would want to own in the town square, so.

I am careful with walkscore....you need to get on the street view a lot to believe it and see if it is really walkable. And I am unsure how much info is missing! I think everyone should try to the improve the walkscore in their community or at least check on it.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post
I have researched Rochester, NY a lot. I love the town of Pittsford the best and would move there. The proximity of the library(and BTW has a major children's wing that is A+ and you can eat in the library), to the high school, and everything else...located near houses that have nice size lots, about .2-.25 acres, is really ideal! There school district is A+ too, high schools are in the top 100.

I was hoping to find something in another region because the snowfall (high) and sunshine (kind of low). I was hoping for more leads in Vermont or Massachusetts, etc. I am still researching what dailyjournalist wrote...so far West Chester doesn't look hopeful because of the lack of children's culture, civic life there...

I have lived in Buffalo and, well, the schools are not as great as the Rochester area, and that area compared to Rochester is not as green. So many farms and parks in the area, great museums for kids, great indoor play gyms for kids and the routes you drive around Rochester seem to be pretty.

Ithaca, well I totally agree! They have enough museums to support the community and is a really beautiful little town. The job market would be hard though and I am concerned about more renters and students being in the community than would be fun. I mean, I would want to own in the town square, so.

I am careful with walkscore....you need to get on the street view a lot to believe it and see if it is really walkable. And I am unsure how much info is missing! I think everyone should try to the improve the walkscore in their community or at least check on it.
If you like Pittsford, you would like Fayetteville, Manlius(both in the very good Fayetteville-Manlius SD), Baldwinsville or Skaneateles in the Syracuse area. Can't forget Cazenovia in Madison County as well.

In the Albany area, Bethlehem and Colonie would be good picks. In the Utica area, New Hartford or Clinton would be perfect. Williamsville in the Buffalo area would fit too.

Vestal in the Binghamton area, Saratoga Springs and maybe Lansing or possibly Dryden in the Ithaca area would be fine as well.

Another community I forgot about, but could fit is Cooperstown.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 AM

Default Wow!

These were all great suggestions! So far Webster is showing to be not so walkable, but I haven't been able to dive into all of the suggestions yet.

The "dailyjournalist" has given a great list of sites...I think Haddenfield is getting a serious look, but the lot sizes are tiny...still the town has a lot to offer for a walkable place. I am going to start looking at school scores now.

And I wish every city had a "greater towns" site! What a great idea!!!!! Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or