U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,331,339 times

Advertisements

Actually between train, car and air I find the train to be the easiest way to travel. You don't have the airport security, you can eat and drink, walk around. You don't have to stop for food, gas, bathroom breaks or hotels and your not worn down from the drive afterward. Comparing the planes and trains I have been on, the train seats are much larger, have more foot room and are more comfortable.

The downside to the train, it is slow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM

604 posts, read 1,666,314 times
i think the only place that would be worth it would be in the bos-wash corridor (and maybe ones from like st louis, milwaukee and indianapolis to chicago). America is not nearly as dense as Europe or Japan , so a train really isn't really efficient/useful. And the standard of living in china is much lower so not everyone has a car

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
i think the only place that would be worth it would be in the bos-wash corridor (and maybe ones from like st louis, milwaukee and indianapolis to chicago). America is not nearly as dense as Europe or Japan , so a train really isn't really efficient/useful. And the standard of living in china is much lower so not everyone has a car
It works well in the northeast, just most people don't know about it, or would rather drive. Think about how close the cities are to another, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Ithica, Albany, NYC are all 1.5-2 hour stops between each other. And then even stops to Pittsburgh and Philly are not that bad either.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

844 posts, read 1,816,532 times
It is so much faster and cheaper to travel by air.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,828,812 times
For rail to work on a nationwide basis, it needs three elements:

1. Convenience
2. Lower cost
3. Speed

Anybody have any ideas how to get there?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,493,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Why spend 5 hours flying cross-country when you can do it by train in 2 days?

Yes, this is true but what about people who do not like to fly? i.e John Madden

Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,493,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
For rail to work on a nationwide basis, it needs three elements:

1. Convenience
2. Lower cost
3. Speed

Anybody have any ideas how to get there?
1. more railroads more routes
2. the cost of a train trip is already cheaper than a plane and little more than a bus
3. take your time sit back and enjoy america in all of it's beauty

Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM

16,950 posts, read 22,263,271 times
I do prefer trains over air travel. More relaxed and enjoyable (you can actually see the land you're travelling through). However, there's some major problems with our rail system. Mainly, the limited routes and times, inconvenient locations of many stops, the freight trains get preference and the tracks are not up to higher speeds.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Someone mentioned cost too. The last time we went to NYC we used our AAA discount and the train ended up being cheaper than flying. We didn't really even consider driving because of the cost to park and the hassel of driving in Manhattan.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
I can still remember at 13 or 14 taking the old Texas and Pacific southern belle to New Orleans from Shreveport back 40 years ago. Thought I was going stir crazy that night. Never again; too much waiting for tracks to clear. However, one upside to it was the most beautiful sunrise in the middle of nowhere down in South Louisiana. Although trains are miserably slow, some of the scenery is just beautiful; things you can't see along the freeways. But they're not for people who need to be somewhere like yesterday. I suppose the trains in the Bos-Wash corridor are very fast, but that wouldn't be the case everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or