U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 26,199 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much for your suggestions so far. They are all very helpful, especially the last few posts that described what living in those areas FEELS like. Having lived in Europe and SoCal for a number of years, we're used to an international flair with differing cultures and tolerance. Thus a very conservative--with that I mean non-tolerant and not open to the new and different--atmosphere would probably be a bad fit for us, I think.

So far Charleston, SC seems to be a unanimous winner with only a few other suggestions. As said, we don't need to live right by the ocean, that is not a prerequisite for us if there are other towns further inland that meet most of our ideas/hopes/wishes. Just in case a few more places come to your mind, what seems to be most important to us based on your replies so far is the general feel of a place, i.e., does it feel country, backwards, conservative or hip, young, vibrant, etc. We are certainly not looking for a party town like Miami, but somewhere that encourages you to go out on a spontaneous note and meet other people in cafés, at a jazz bar, at a performing arts show ... where people's pastime does not consist of staying to oneself on one's own property or in one's house. We find a lot of that here in Oregon.

Also if somewhat smaller towns fit the bill, we're interested. Charleston for example has more than half a million inhabitants. Ideally we're looking for something up to about 150,000. But if smaller towns can't offer what we are looking for, a bigger town will be worth a visit.

We enjoy all your posts. Thanks a lot for helping us pinpoint a few places to visit in person.

Last edited by sleath; 06-15-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,742,289 times
Although outside of the east coast you may also want to consider Austin Texas.

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Although outside of the east coast you may also want to consider Austin Texas.

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB
From the OP: My wife and I--both in our early 30s w/o kids (for now)--will move to that area in a few months because I need to be in the closest time zone to Europe due to my work

Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,779,765 times
Delray Beach, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.