U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:49 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,908,213 times
Reputation: 1399

Advertisements

What would be a good place to move to?
I'll be 21 years old just finishing up technical school for automotive technology. I will be moving with 2 of my friends together. Where all fairly young.

Were looking for a place with these type of prerequisites.

1. Good Night Life
2. A place where there's lots of outdoor activities as well as indoor
3. Lots of job opportunities
4. Diverse neighborhood
5. The cost of living is not too high.
6. Being around a younger generation
7. People are a little friendlier

Currently I live in Windsor, Connecticut. Cost of living is ridiculous, no job opportunities, there's no activities; its kind of racially segregated, people are bitter and I live in a neighborhood filled with nothing but old people.

I was looking at Denver, Colorado to move to but what would be some other good places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,715,222 times
Reputation: 3788
Harrisburg, PA (with nearby Carlisle, Lancaster, York) might be a possibility. This area is something of a hub for the trucking industry and also auto auctions nearby so I would think auto technology demand might be higher per capita here. Others say there is nightlife and it seems younger folks are moving in for professional employment. See http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ea-thread.html and search on here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 8,049,058 times
Reputation: 885
Young + cheap + diverse + jobs = all the usual suspects.

Seattle and Portland.

If you prefer a warm climate, you may like Houston or Austin. In your case, I'd say especially Houston, since it's becoming so international.

Maybe Atlanta.

The Tempe area of the Phoenix metro could also maybe work. Anything automotive is huge in the southwest, so on a similar note, I'd also say Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
Reputation: 5662
denver is a good choice if you already have it as a candidate... no reason not to go. that being said... any city which is GOOD at all those amenities is going to have a slightly higher COL. There is no city in the u.s. that is not livable though IMO, just might not live in prime location, and might live in smaller space. As for jobs, the bigger the metro, generally the more opportunity. Denver caters a bit more to the over 25 scene though. 21-25...probably better in Austin... as far as those things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,908,213 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
denver is a good choice if you already have it as a candidate... no reason not to go. that being said... any city which is GOOD at all those amenities is going to have a slightly higher COL. There is no city in the u.s. that is not livable though IMO, just might not live in prime location, and might live in smaller space. As for jobs, the bigger the metro, generally the more opportunity. Denver caters a bit more to the over 25 scene though. 21-25...probably better in Austin... as far as those things go.

Yeah I was reading some information on denver and I like what I saw. I have to save up money and wait until my technical school is over. Me and my friends are going to move out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,615,176 times
Reputation: 1913
off the top of my head. I find two perfect fits. Seattle and Denver. Denver's demographics are White-Black-Hispanic. Seattle is more White-Asian-Black. They're both very White cities but the nod goes to Seattle for diversity. Seattle's going to be younger because the state's flagship university is in the city where as the flagship CU is in Boulder. Plus Seattle attracts a ton of younger professionals just by name recognition alone. Denver is going to be friendlier, if you believe that whole Seattle Freeze thing. not that they'd be rude, just introverted.

I'd personally pick Seattle, but Denver is a nice place too. Maybe you could look into Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 01:05 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,284,905 times
Reputation: 1512
A lot of folks seem to choose Austin for those reasons, but I doubt many of them truly find it all upon arrival. I don't believe any place has LOTS of job opportunities right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,908,213 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
off the top of my head. I find two perfect fits. Seattle and Denver. Denver's demographics are White-Black-Hispanic. Seattle is more White-Asian-Black. They're both very White cities but the nod goes to Seattle for diversity. Seattle's going to be younger because the state's flagship university is in the city where as the flagship CU is in Boulder. Plus Seattle attracts a ton of younger professionals just by name recognition alone. Denver is going to be friendlier, if you believe that whole Seattle Freeze thing. not that they'd be rude, just introverted.

I'd personally pick Seattle, but Denver is a nice place too. Maybe you could look into Austin.

Hmm seattle, washington. I will look into that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2009, 02:39 PM
 
Location: NC
1,673 posts, read 1,530,150 times
Reputation: 523
Seattle - Massive Tech center with a nice downtown. Great outdoors.
Boulder (Denver) - Most "fit" town out of all the choices, college/tech town, lots of outdoors, national park less then an hour away
Raleigh - fastest growing metro, huge college/tech town, 2 hours from mountains and beach, many state parks nearby
Austin - Good music, huge college/tech town, 2nd fastest growing metro, best outdoors in TX IMO
Boise - One of the fastest growing high tech small towns in the nation. A little isolated and not sure on nightlife.
Albuquerque - Fast growing town with unique outdoor environment. Crime is a tad high.
Asheville - Not sure on the nightlife but it is VERY popular with the young, outdoor crowd. Low unemployment.

Larger Cities:
Charlotte - In a year or so after the economy stabilizes a bit, this will be an excellent place. One of the fastest growing metros/downtowns due to being a financial city. However that fact is currently a liability.
Houston - has 'fair' outdoor activities, at best, due to weather and development. If you want a "super large city" feel, this will be one of the cheaper options, though may be more expensive then the smaller ones listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 5,908,213 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Seattle - Massive Tech center with a nice downtown. Great outdoors.
Boulder (Denver) - Most "fit" town out of all the choices, college/tech town, lots of outdoors, national park less then an hour away
Raleigh - fastest growing metro, huge college/tech town, 2 hours from mountains and beach, many state parks nearby
Austin - Good music, huge college/tech town, 2nd fastest growing metro, best outdoors in TX IMO
Boise - One of the fastest growing high tech small towns in the nation. A little isolated and not sure on nightlife.
Albuquerque - Fast growing town with unique outdoor environment. Crime is a tad high.
Asheville - Not sure on the nightlife but it is VERY popular with the young, outdoor crowd. Low unemployment.

Larger Cities:
Charlotte - In a year or so after the economy stabilizes a bit, this will be an excellent place. One of the fastest growing metros/downtowns due to being a financial city. However that fact is currently a liability.
Houston - has 'fair' outdoor activities, at best, due to weather and development. If you want a "super large city" feel, this will be one of the cheaper options, though may be more expensive then the smaller ones listed above.

Appreciate the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top