U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Lynchburg, VA
63 posts, read 77,045 times
Reputation: 61
It's simple for me: the midwest is devoid of mountains. Most of the rivers are muddy and dirty looking outside of the Ozarks and a few other isolated areas. The great lakes are nice, but again the topography doesn't compare to the rest of the country. That being said, I do like the people since I graduated in Gower MO!

 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 AM
 
1,219 posts, read 2,313,768 times
Reputation: 529
Agree with the river. The Mississippi river in Minneapolis (especially the section across the U of M)is very dirty. The Chicago river doesn't not look pleasant either, except in photos. Smaller cities in Midwest don't have as many jobs as small cities in California or the Northeast. In Midwest there is a big distinction between cities and small towns. Most states have a large land area, but only one or two big cities and the rest are very isolated therefore attract less jobs. The big cities are not close to the sea or the mountains (except Chicago and Milwaukee are close to Lake Michigan). The weather is the harshest here except maybe Alaska, hence the worst road conditions, full of potholes even on highways and not well lit. Most housing and buildings in cities look as grey and crappy as the old Northeast cities, but with less density and don't provide as many amenities. Lots of Industrial wastelands in cities are identified as having historic value and have to be preserved but in fact look ugly as hell. Living costs and job options fall short compared to rising Texas cities and the Sunbelt area in general.

Generally speaking, most cities in the Northeast are old and grey looking but they are dense and walkable, have superb rail transit, a lot more to offer. They have really beautiful historic buildings, with longer history, but better maintained and better looking than some warehouse or industrial wasteland. They are also clustered together, forming a very urban region. Cities in the South and West are newer and more colorful and more pleasant looking. California is uniformly dense, is the largest job market and the largest retail market as well. The cities in Pacific Northwest have developd well (Both Seattle and Portland are considered examples of what a city should be). The South are also developing all the amenities fast according to their growth. The largest cities in the South already surpassed most Midwest cities in terms of retail, transportation and art options. On the contrary, most Midwest cities are anti-development and backwards. And everywhere else in the country have better weather (except the Dakotas and Montana, of course, but these states don't actually have any reputation because most people only visit there and know very little about them). I guess that's why Midwest (except Chicago) does not get a good reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
It's simple for me: the midwest is devoid of mountains. Most of the rivers are muddy and dirty looking outside of the Ozarks and a few other isolated areas. The great lakes are nice, but again the topography doesn't compare to the rest of the country. That being said, I do like the people since I graduated in Gower MO!

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-29-2009 at 04:18 AM..
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 3,270,621 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
And to me, I don't find Columbus and Cleveland that alike. Columbus is pretty midwestern in it's look and charm. Architecturally, Cleveland has an east coast/mid-atlantic feel.
Cleveland does NOT have an east coast or Mid-Atlantic feel...absolutely nothing like the east coast. It feels far more like Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Chicago than New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia. I agree it doesn't feel all like Columbus, but only because it is a Great Lakes city. And it doesn't feel that different from Columbus either.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,746 posts, read 3,270,621 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
It's simple for me: the midwest is devoid of mountains. Most of the rivers are muddy and dirty looking outside of the Ozarks and a few other isolated areas. The great lakes are nice, but again the topography doesn't compare to the rest of the country. That being said, I do like the people since I graduated in Gower MO!
Have to disagree here. The unglaciated part of the Midwest (i.e. The Porcupine Mountains, Northwestern Illinois, Southwestern Wisconsin, Northeastern Iowa, Southeastern Minnesota, the Missouri Ozarks, and the Shawnee Forest of Southern Illinois/Illinois Ozarks) are quite hilly to mountainous. Not to mention some of the river bluffs along the Mississippi and Missouri can be mountainous too.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 6,989,222 times
Reputation: 2940
Also, don't forget the black hills in South Dakota.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
 
2,050 posts, read 3,936,784 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
It's simple for me: the midwest is devoid of mountains. Most of the rivers are muddy and dirty looking outside of the Ozarks and a few other isolated areas. The great lakes are nice, but again the topography doesn't compare to the rest of the country. That being said, I do like the people since I graduated in Gower MO!
I disagree. Everything you said is pretty dependent on where you are in the region. The Metroparks in Ohio (aka the Valley), rolling Appalachian hills in South east Ohio. There are so many beautiful parts of Michigan I don't even know where to begin.... I don't know, my feelings are most people haven't been to most of the midwest, only isolated areas where they get their impressions from. That OR they drove through a region and assumed to much. Northeast Ohio in general is pretty hilly as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Cleveland does NOT have an east coast or Mid-Atlantic feel...absolutely nothing like the east coast. It feels far more like Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Chicago than New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia. I agree it doesn't feel all like Columbus, but only because it is a Great Lakes city. And it doesn't feel that different from Columbus either.
Well I am entitled to my own opinion, and having lived in Washington DC and NYC for some extended time, I find more similarities to those areas then say anywhere in the midwest outside of Chicago or Detroit. Even the commercial architecture boom was similar to NYC and Chicago in design an layout of the region. I guess my nostalgia is that of cities like Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and Lakewood - all inner ring suburbs of Cleveland.
http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/...fghistory.html

Last edited by WeSoHood; 06-29-2009 at 10:44 AM..
 
Old 06-29-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,858,229 times
Reputation: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
The midwest is great. Lots of nice people. I don't like the cold weather there and I think many areas are too conservative for my liking. Otherwise I would definently consider moving there.
I think that is one of the reason why Midwest get a reputation of being boring, because of places like Indiana(conservative country) and the whole cornfield thing that I think is not a good look for the Midwest.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: 46201
6,767 posts, read 7,696,800 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think that is one of the reason why Midwest get a reputation of being boring, because of places like Indiana(conservative country) and the whole cornfield thing that I think is not a good look for the Midwest.
Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota............. they ALL have rural farmland, not just Indiana.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,476,828 times
Reputation: 2608
It's just another misconception in a long line of misconceptions...people with little or no information about the Midwest get an image of it in their little minds, and the only way to squash that image is personal experience.
 
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,142 posts, read 21,676,316 times
Reputation: 16187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota............. they ALL have rural farmland, not just Indiana.
We don't have nearly the cornfields in Michigan people picture though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top