U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

804 posts, read 2,168,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
So you have NEVER been to the Midwest, yet you are an authority in how flat, boring, and cold it is. LOL You just keep getting more absurd. That would be like me commenting and running down Alaska because I heard it was too buggy and cold. I like to think for myself and not believe a bunch of BS from people that probably don't know first hand either. How do you KNOW what you hear is true without going? How do you KNOW your point would be proven, and not shown to be a load of horse droppings? People here on this forum are telling you, your perception is wrong. Who are you going to believe, people who have actually SEEN the places they are describing or those who have not.
Dude I am only kidding I like to get on peoples nerves. Ignorance is Bliss.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Dude I am only kidding I like to get on peoples nerves. Ignorance is Bliss.
You must be very happy.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM

92 posts, read 155,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Have to disagree here. The unglaciated part of the Midwest (i.e. The Porcupine Mountains, Northwestern Illinois, Southwestern Wisconsin, Northeastern Iowa, Southeastern Minnesota, the Missouri Ozarks, and the Shawnee Forest of Southern Illinois/Illinois Ozarks) are quite hilly to mountainous. Not to mention some of the river bluffs along the Mississippi and Missouri can be mountainous too.
Most of the areas you mentioned were glaciated! I see that you live in St. Louis. Perhaps, when you leave St. Louis, these areas look hilly to mountainous from your perspective. Some of them are hilly, but they are definitely not mountainous. The idea that a two hundred foot tall river bluff-like those on the Missouri river around the university I attend- should be described as mountainous is hard for me to fathom based on my experience in mountains both east and west. I'll give you an example, in Tennesse Mt. Leconte has an elevation of 6,592 feet and rises 5,000 feet above the land below it. Mountains out west are even more massive! It can snow on top of mouintains and be in the 60's at their base. This cannot be said of river bluffs and the porcupine mountains. The porcupine mountains on Michigan's UP are gorgeousand hilly, but they are not truly mountains. I think you should visit the mountains out west or the Appalachians, were you can experience mountains that continually have a prominence of 1,000 feet to much higher.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've grown up in the midwest my whole life, but I often get the impression that people don't like it that much. It's not like I have a chip on my shoulder, but it seems like the midwest, overall is maligned more than other regions. We're the "rust belt", boring, with bumpkin-ish people, the land is boring etc...

So why does the Midwest get a bum rap from so many people--or is it just in my head?

mackinac
It's the same with the South. A lot of people who've never visited the area, or only driven through on the interstate, or maybe made one 2-day business trip to one town suddenly become experts on the region. It's always amazing to me. I don't know. Maybe they watched too many episodes of In The Heat Of The Night.

Having lived in both regions, as well as the West Coast and the East, I can say that the Midwest and South both have some very strong positives--and I'm not just speaking about COL, either.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
I really like the Midwest! I am particularly fond of Chicago and the state of Iowa.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 12,781 times
Indiana is BORING! I grew up here, moved away, came back to take care of my parents and can't wait to leave again! It's a great (easier) place to raise a family and depending on the area the people are nice. But when you live where we do and the closest grocery is a 15 min drive and civilization is a 40 min drive you get really tired of it. Especially when the only decent non-factory jobs are 40mi. (I have lived in 4 larger cities in IN too including Indy - still lacking)
Top that with the horrible winters(drifting snow & ice) and the Highway Depts. that don't clean the roads well and this place can be a pain.
The rivers & streams are so polluted that I wouldn't do anything but canoe in any of them north of Indy. Much different from when I was growing up here.
I've lived in OH, FL, TX(Dallas) & NYC too. I much prefer NYC where on a whim I can find or do something different everyday of the year - including the beach and mountains a train ride away. The winters don't seem as bad because of the buildings, no car necessary and the people are friendlier. (Yes, I just said New Yorkers were friendlier) Dallas was great too btw.
I guess if you wanted wide open spaces, a very simple existence and didn't need much cultural stimulation Indiana would be fine. (The expense and crime in Indy isn't worth what you get in return.) For me I'd rather put the money I spend for heating and transportation into a nice condo in New England or the West Coast. I just enjoy the diversity I find on the coasts.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,550,903 times
Most of the Midwestern cities(Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati) are falling apart. I hate and love the Midwest but the Midwest wouldn't be the same if Chicago didn't exist.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Most of the Midwestern cities(Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati) are falling apart. I hate and love the Midwest but the Midwest wouldn't be the same if Chicago didn't exist.
Cincinnati? That's not the impression I got when visited it. It's not as recovered as places like Indianapolis and Columbus, but it is definitely doing better than either Cleveland or Detroit. I don't know if it's making a comeback though...I know that places like St. Louis and Milwaukee at least are doing slightly better, to what extent Milwaukee is I'm not sure. Kansas City, Omaha, and Minneapolis/St. Paul didn't suffer nearly to the extent that places like St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Detroit did, most likely because they were not as big on manufacturing.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,335,259 times
I was thinking about this thread after I finished watching Badlands, which is the movie about the original spree killer, Charles Starkweather. Today, in fact, the last 20 or so years, there has been an ever increasing or pervasive 'glamour' factor that has made its way into mainstream American culture. Star worshipping, etc, fawning at the altar of celebrity. In that vein, I think the midwest produces a murderous disappointment which in turn, often turns into murderous resentment (ala Starkweather, Tim McVeigh, etc). The disappointment and ultimate resentment stems from what I believe is a lack of glamour in the regon and the associated culture. After all, if the American mass media promises us anything, it is glamour. Everywhere, everyday we look, we see it, on TV screens, on our home computers, billboards, it' everywhere. Glamour has become part of the American promise, but it's hard to scare up much of it in the midwest. Kids and adults that live in this region, though, like every other region, only have to turn on the TV, read a magazine, and see people in other places wearing better clothes than they wear, eating more interesting food than they eat, and having a better time than what they are having. Kids in the midwest might only gain modest exposure to glamour if they were to foray into some of the regional cities, Kansas City, Omaha, Minneapolis, etc. In some, this lack of glamour festers. Flash back to Starkweather. After he was captured, he was asked why he did what he did. He had this to say: "I've never been in a high class restaurant before. I've never seen the NY Yankees play. I've never been to Los Angeles".

There, in a sense, you have it. A longing for prettier things, prettier places, prettier people. The glamour of Park Ave, Rodeo Drive, Spago, is as remote to a lot of midwestern people as Camelot or Troy. What do boys do when another family farm is lost? You turn to other blue collar pursuits, perhaps, fixing cars or engines, working in a feed store, etc. Unless one has enough scholastic or athletic ability to get scholarships and leave, that is the reality for many.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Yep, you're right; we are all serial killers and crazy as **** house rats because we are not like either coast.

What a load of horse droppings. Taking a few total whack jobs and attributing what they say as the reasoning and feelings of everybody else in a region. Why don't we just judge the Coasts by the likes of: Edmund Kemper III, Bobby Joe Long, David J Carpenter, Henry Louis Walker, Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, or the Zodiac Killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.