U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times

Advertisements

^ right. I know countless people in Chicago who are from the top half of Indiana, and they in NO way have Southern accents.

I actually have a few friends from Evansville in the south, and I never thought they sounded any different than Chicagoans or Iowans that I'm use to.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ right. I know countless people in Chicago who are from the top half of Indiana, and they in NO way have Southern accents.

I actually have a few friends from Evansville in the south, and I never thought they sounded any different than Chicagoans or Iowans that I'm use to.
+1 for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,271,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've grown up in the midwest my whole life, but I often get the impression that people don't like it that much. It's not like I have a chip on my shoulder, but it seems like the midwest, overall is maligned more than other regions. We're the "rust belt", boring, with bumpkin-ish people, the land is boring etc...

So why does the Midwest get a bum rap from so many people--or is it just in my head?

mackinac
It's not in your head. The Midwest is maligned because for the most part it really is boring, with "bumpkin-ish" people (I don't even know what that is), and the land is actually boring. Generalizations are called such, because they're generally true.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
It's not in your head. The Midwest is maligned because for the most part it really is boring, with "bumpkin-ish" people (I don't even know what that is), and the land is actually boring. Generalizations are called such, because they're generally true.
The Great Lakes has some phenomenal scenery along its coastlines, and the hill country of the lower Midwest is quite scenic. In addition, there are awesome cities like Minneapolis and St. Louis with plenty to do and educated, polite citizens.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, perception is reality.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:48 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The Great Lakes has some phenomenal scenery along its coastlines, and the hill country of the lower Midwest is quite scenic. In addition, there are awesome cities like Minneapolis and St. Louis with plenty to do and educated, polite citizens.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, perception is reality.
Well also the fact he/she described it as bumpkinish, and then stated that he/she didn't know what that meant. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the opinion of someone who's obviously not happy with their situation.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Well, I know the Ohio Valley doesn't really help much with the Midwest stereotypes.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Hrrmmm Maybe, I am not sure this applies too much in my experience though. And my experience is with the great lakes area... i.e. Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit/Cleveland etc... it does not feel *bumpkinish* at all...Maybe if you are talking about hte plains states like kansas/nebraska/sd/etc, maybe you have a point but I don't have much experience there. People here ask me why I am moving back to Chicago in shock... like o m gz y would u leave cali?!!?! well, they do not know what they are missing. I prefer it much more there as I would say the bos-wash corridor.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,140,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

NW Indiana is essentially Chicago....you should know that. People in Indiana and Ohio DEFINITELY can have southern twangs. It's not necessarily the norm, but I'd actually go as far to say that it's close to 50/50. I always half-joked that Columbus, OH (where I went to school) was the REAL Mason-Dixon because it was like the nexus of North and South. The culture was so strange to me. Cincy was basically Southern, and Cleveland was Northern. Although, I had a couple of Cleveland buddies with thick southern accents -- and evey they didn't know why. I have friends and relatives in just about every Midwestern state and some states definitely do have a propensity to "twang".

Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,678,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
NW Indiana is essentially Chicago....you should know that. People in Indiana and Ohio DEFINITELY can have southern twangs. It's not necessarily the norm, but I'd actually go as far to say that it's close to 50/50. I always half-joked that Columbus, OH (where I went to school) was the REAL Mason-Dixon because it was like the nexus of North and South. The culture was so strange to me. Cincy was basically Southern, and Cleveland was Northern. Although, I had a couple of Cleveland buddies with thick southern accents -- and evey they didn't know why. I have friends and relatives in just about every Midwestern state and some states definitely do have a propensity to "twang".
lol its funny how you Upper Midwestern folks see things. I have a friend who moved down here to Dayton from Waukuasha (spelling) outside of Milwaukee, and he made a comment on the accents. Up in Wisconsin and Minnesota I noticed you guys have a very long "A" if you will, way of saying things. He has a strange accent to me. I really don't notice too much if any accent here in SW Ohio. I am originally from Philly. Now once you get into Kentucky a few miles, you start to notice a differance in accents.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Why does everything have to be Southern for?

Not everyone that speaks with a different accent than you is necessarily affiliated with the South.

Also, all of this is relative. Try telling someone in Jackson, Mississippi that Columbus is in "the South"--they'd find that quite humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.