U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,169,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
You said a mouthfull there and how true. I've witnessed the very same thing you described frequently in Michigan, especially in the workplace. And they wonder why thier unemployment is the worst in the nation and blame it on the Governor.
Interesting jab. Go read a book though, seriously. The death of manufacturing that was once very preveltent in Detroit is what has killed that place, not people 'goofing' around at work. Nice way to look ignorant.

Also, it's 'THEIR', not 'THIER'

Reminds me of something I saw on the news last night. A sign made in WV for the coal miners in someone's yard read: "Keeping the miners and thier families in our prayers"

Good job on that education West Virginia. I know yours was just a silly typo, but the WV sign was funny!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 PM

749 posts, read 2,099,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Interesting jab. Go read a book though, seriously. The death of manufacturing that was once very preveltent in Detroit is what has killed that place, not people 'goofing' around at work. Nice way to look ignorant.

Reminds me of something I saw on the news last night. A sign made in WV for the coal miners in someone's yard read: "Keeping the miners and thier families in our prayers"

Good job on that education West Virginia. I know yours was just a silly typo, but the WV sign was funny!
Nice job Minnesota public schools. It's 'prevalent' not 'preveltent'. Yeah, they were such good workers there was never any need to move assembly to Mexico and Toyota and Hyundai just couldn't wait to set up U.S. operations in Detroit. Enjoy your rust.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,088,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You see it because that's what you want to see and are so used to it where you live that you don't notice it.
Apparently you live a vicarious life through me and don't see what I see.

I didn't say the entire Midwest has been like this, just a few places and most definitely Kansas City has been the worst. Living around these infantile control freaks and brats is like taking a step back to the 7th grade.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 04-09-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM

162 posts, read 353,412 times
Quote:

OMG, you just knocked West Virginians after using the made-up word "preveltent". "Thier" could have easily been a silly mistake, made in haste. But "PREVELTENT"? I doubt it!!!!!!! LOL

Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 PM

118 posts, read 111,042 times
Michigan has a lot of beauty if you're into hiking/hunting. It has some small hills that are suitable for skiing and it has some islands that become beautiful in the summer. I'm definitely not going to argue that the midwest (specifically Michigan) has no natural beauty.

The weather boils down to the winters which are brutal. I'm pretty sure the midwest has the worst winters in the USA outside Alaska. Just check some of the temps in Minnesota. Even though I lived in Detroit for all of my childhood now that I've lived all over the USA and parts of the world I no longer can stand the winters in the Midwest.

Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the USA. I'm definitely not going to argue that the Midwest doesn't have some cosmopolitan/urban centers.

What the midwest doesn't have going for it is the culture outside the major cities. The workaholic, closed-in, cold, passive-aggressive, religious, socially conservative, and super family friendly culture becomes absolutely stifling even when you do have a family! It's a culture that definitely seeps into the suburbs and even the major cities of the Midwest. I much prefer even (!) the culture of the South even if the only differences boil down enjoying life/living for being workaholic and being (more) direct instead of being passive aggressive.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Nice job Minnesota public schools. It's 'prevalent' not 'preveltent'. Yeah, they were such good workers there was never any need to move assembly to Mexico and Toyota and Hyundai just couldn't wait to set up U.S. operations in Detroit. Enjoy your rust.

Yeah, because every forum user knows that spelling mistakes mean nothing on here. So you must not be a very decent forum user.

Anyways, MN schools are top notch. Probably better than yours.

I'm not sure what you're arguing, but it's not Detroit City that caused auto makers to leave.

Trade, unions, wages, accessibility and taxes are reasons of outsourcing.

Again, read a book before you come into a public forum and argue. At least open another window and Google it.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
OMG, you just knocked West Virginians after using the made-up word "preveltent". "Thier" could have easily been a silly mistake, made in haste. But "PREVELTENT"? I doubt it!!!!!!! LOL

Right, but a mistake in an internet forum while I'm at work is different than buying a 3'x5' poster and drawing in big bold letters :...AND THIER families.

Yeesh. After watching interviews from some of the locals...Man, WV does look backwards... Holy moly. No dentists in WV? Coal minin' not payin' good Dental Premiums in that crap hole or what?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap121483 View Post
99% of Americans should know how to spell 'THEIR'

I bet less than 50% can spell Prevalent.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM

749 posts, read 2,099,917 times
Quote:
Yeah, because every forum user knows that spelling mistakes mean nothing on here. So you must not be a very decent forum user.

Anyways, MN schools are top notch. Probably better than yours.

I'm not sure what you're arguing, but it's not Detroit City that caused auto makers to leave.

Trade, unions, wages, accessibility and taxes are reasons of outsourcing.

Again, read a book before you come into a public forum and argue. At least open another window and Google it.
First of all, you have a condescending attitude, coming off like some holier than thou grammer expert when you are no better. If spelling mistakes mean nothing, then why did you devote 70% of your original post to the very issue, it sure seems to matter to you.

I'm very well aware of reasons of outsourcing and a big reason is self serving overpaid idiots who have no concept of working to please the customer because without the customer there is no job. I know it's a foriegn concept in many rust belt areas, so perhaps in the very near future you can get a carpool going and drop by your local unemployment office and pick up some displaced Joe Lunchbuckets, go to the library, and you can read to them and you may all learn something, but I doubt it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
First of all, you have a condescending attitude, coming off like some holier than thou grammer expert when you are no better. If spelling mistakes mean nothing, then why did you devote 70% of your original post to the very issue, it sure seems to matter to you.

I'm very well aware of reasons of outsourcing and a big reason is self serving overpaid idiots who have no concept of working to please the customer because without the customer there is no job. I know it's a foriegn concept in many rust belt areas, so perhaps in the very near future you can get a carpool going and drop by your local unemployment office and pick up some displaced Joe Lunchbuckets, go to the library, and you can read to them and you may all learn something, but I doubt it.

Ok, so outsourcing those important customers to deal with call centers in India is so great for customer service? Try and keep up with me, try it.

What are you talking about? Minnesota isn't much of a manufacturing state. Our economy depends on agriculture and tourism. The Twin Cities aren't the rust belt, again, pick up a book. I guess I'll have to drive by the Mansions of CEOs of Best Buy, Target, Cargill, General Mills, 3M, USBANK, Wells Fargo (CEO from MN and still has homes here) and we can discuss why they have their World Wide companies in our backyard and NOT in West Virginia.

And my initial post was me laughing at the sign. Just thinking it was ironic how WV people on C-D will fight tooth and nail to avoid being stereotyped as the back-water, deliverence, toothless redneck area that most of America thinks of WV, and the first media exposure I see on a large scale of WV is a fat, horribly dressed woman with a sign that spells THIER. It was more ironic and anecdotal than anything, and you self-conscious, insecure babies took it the wrong way. To me, I KNOW it was ironic that I spelled a word wrong while calling out somebody who had done so. All I know is if I'm going to take the time to make a sign in big letters, I'm going to make sure I spell THEIR right. When I'm checking up C-D in my few free minutes at work and quickly type something wrong on an internet forum, I couldn't care less.

And I'm condescending? The first person who responded to me said 'Good job MN public schools' because I typed a word wrong. So, Unless you live in Vermont, MA, CT, or ME, you probably DON'T live in a state with better public schools.

Last edited by knke0204; 04-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: I typed a word wrong, better go back and edit or else people will call you an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.