U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,155,742 times
Reputation: 2774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yet these same people LOVE the South, which is far "less progressive" than the Midwest.
That is entirely debatable. The Midwest and the South have far more in common than any other regions of the country.

To claim the South is far less progressive than the Midwest is a real reach.

 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundforlanguage81 View Post
Maybe I should have been more clear, By beach I mean ocean and by mountains I mean 14,000+ foot snowcapped peaks. This is what appeals to people by what they've seen in photos, however some of the places you described are equally beautiful in the fact you don't see them plastered all over postcards from __________(<---Insert overcrowded tourist hellhole) Take the Iron Range in NE Minnesota and the rocky lakeshore(s) on Superior. Michigan is the worst for preconcieved notions, but in my opinion is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota are widely considered featureless wastelands, and people who draw those conclusions could not be more wrong. I like these areas because most other people don't like them.
Oklahoma is not considered the Midwest, however, and for good reason. Oklahoma has more in common with Texas and Arkansas than with any Midwestern state. Culturally this is also true. Dialect is a similar result. Not to mention, the entire territory considered Oklahoma during the Civil War fought decisively on the side of the Confederacy.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,150,737 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
That is entirely debatable. The Midwest and the South have far more in common than any other regions of the country.

To claim the South is far less progressive than the Midwest is a real reach.
Perhaps the Great Plains states like Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Ohio share commonalities with the Southern US, but the Great Lakes states have zero in common with the South.

Minnesota, Iowa to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Michigan, and Northern Ohio have more in common with the Northeast states like Pennsylvania and Upstate NY than they do with the South or even the Great Plains states.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,155,742 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Perhaps the Great Plains states like Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Ohio share commonalities with the Southern US, but the Great Lakes states have zero in common with the South.

Minnesota, Iowa to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Michigan, and Northern Ohio have more in common with the Northeast states like Pennsylvania and Upstate NY than they do with the South or even the Great Plains states.
Sorry, but I'm originally from NE Ohio and I totally disagree.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,954 posts, read 4,506,779 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Sorry, but I'm originally from NE Ohio and I totally disagree.
Really? I also grew up in northeast Ohio and feel more in my element in states like New Jersey or New York than in states like Alabama or Georgia.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Chicago metro
3,509 posts, read 7,317,426 times
Reputation: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Yet these same people LOVE the South, which is far "less progressive" than the Midwest.

Ummmm I wouldn't say ''far less'' progressive. Outside of Chicago & Minneapolis and maybe a few other Great Lakes, the Midwest & South are comparable. I remember when some Chicago residents were against having the Olympics here. And I was thinking why not? The Midwest need to learn in selling itself a little more to the nation and the world. Even the south had the olympics before. And another thing about pop culture(MTV, Vh1 or w/e). I know a lot of people on here don't care, but I notice the Midwest is generally excluded in that department too. From what I seeing, the south is getting a lot of exposure when it comes to that too and way more than the Midwest in general. The truth is the Midwest(including Great Plains) reputation is plain jane right now.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,155,742 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Really? I also grew up in northeast Ohio and feel more in my element in states like New Jersey or New York than in states like Alabama or Georgia.
5Lakes - My point was that NE Ohio has far more in common with the rest of the Midwest than it does the Northeast.

Your point is well taken, and does make sense - but that wasn't my point!
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times
Reputation: 1973
Modern man is terrified of inclement weather and manual labor.
That's fine, because I don't want the midwest to become any more crowded, especially with the coastal types. Northwest Arkansas can have them.
I've been to every corner of the country, and places in between (but not everywhere), and Minnesota's north shore is as beautiful as any place I've ever seen.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,954 posts, read 4,506,779 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
5Lakes - My point was that NE Ohio has far more in common with the rest of the Midwest than it does the Northeast.

Your point is well taken, and does make sense - but that wasn't my point!
Oh, sorry. Misunderstood what you were saying.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Lawton, OK
139 posts, read 422,542 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Oklahoma is not considered the Midwest, however, and for good reason. Oklahoma has more in common with Texas and Arkansas than with any Midwestern state. Culturally this is also true. Dialect is a similar result. Not to mention, the entire territory considered Oklahoma during the Civil War fought decisively on the side of the Confederacy.
I hate this arguement, I base the midwest largely on geography, and slightly on culture and history. As far as Oklahoma goes, you can cut it into 3rds and assign it to different portions of the country if you want to get technical about it. The panhandle is decidedly more west, the middle 3rd mid-west and eastern 3rd has a lot in common with the south. Texas is the same way. If the state or territory was pro union/confederacy during the civil war really doesn't matter. Does that make Kansas a northern state today due to the fact that the abolishionists came out on top during bleeding Kansas? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top