U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,174,071 times
Reputation: 1809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You are clearly a Minnesota cheerleader who wants to sugar-coat anything Minnesota.

Lets see, you clearly also do not know anything about Cleveland or Pittsburgh, and judge it off of what you have seen on t.v or read. Truly pathetic on your part. Onward, job losses? Once again, read up on your facts. Major job losses in Cleveland and Pittsburgh stopped in the 1980s, (jobs losses still happen just like anywhere else) the 1990s were pivotal turning points for the cities. If you want to talk about major job losses today, then like I said, look at Detroit. Based on one industry, the auto industry, they are shedding jobs left and right.

Duluth is still loosing people! For 30 years now they have been. Like I said, rust belt characteristic. Pittsburgh and Cleveland are larger cities, I would expect probaly bigger population losses from them, more people, so you will see more people moving out. Duluth is a smaller city, so they will loose smaller RAW numbers in their population. Its common sense.

Now, clearly "boo hoo" , its time for your bedtime!

Good night...

Woah. I live in Duluth, I know it says TC, but I'm here for a temporary position, so I know all about it. Don't believe me, go check out my regular Duluth and Minneapolis threads that date back.
And no, Duluth IS NOT losing people.
Population in 1990 was 85,000.
2000 it was 86,000.
2008 Estimate is at 84,000.
But do you know what's unique? Suburbs of Duluth have GROWN! Hermantown, Proctor and surrounding townships all have been GROWING! FAST!

Next, I said 1970s-onward, because there were significant job losses throughout the 'rust belt' from about the mid 70s ONWARD throughout the 80s. Yeah, so from the 70s onward there were job losses in those cities, where do I need to brush up on facts? And yeah, it's clearly from what I've read. What's wrong with reading published articles from PhDs from around the country? Because that's what I did while gaining my degrees

And If being a cheerleader means telling an ignorant, senseless fool that the state I have lived in my whole life ISN'T really the Rust Belt like one would consider Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and PA to be, then hell yes I'm proud to be a cheerleader of my awesome state.

 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,174,071 times
Reputation: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Lets see, you clearly also do not know anything about Cleveland or Pittsburgh, and judge it off of what you have seen on t.v or read. Truly pathetic on your part. Onward, job losses? Once again, read up on your facts.

Thank you for making my night. I have to leave at this. Sorry, this is just too good.
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Blue Ash, Ohio (Cincinnati)
2,786 posts, read 5,680,684 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Woah. I live in Duluth, I know it says TC, but I'm here for a temporary position, so I know all about it. And no, Duluth IS NOT losing people. Population in 1990 was 85,000. 2000 it was 86,000. 2008 Estimate is at 84,000. But do you know what's unique? Suburbs of Duluth have GROWN! Hermantown, Proctor and surround counties all have been GROWING! FAST! So, you're wrong.

Next, I said 1970s-onward, because there were significant job losses throughout the 'rust belt' from about the mid 70s ONWARD throughout the 80s. Yeah, so from the 70s onward there were job losses in those cities, where do I need to brush up on facts? And yeah, it's clearly from what I've read. What's wrong with reading published articles from PhDs from around the country? Because that's what I did while gaining my degrees

And If being a cheerleader means telling an ignorant, senseless fool that the state I have lived in my whole life ISN'T really the Rust Belt like one would consider Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and PA to be, then hell yes I'm proud to be a cheerleader of my awesome state.
Suburbs growing?!?!? Holy crap, suburbs in Detroit are growing too! It's called suburban sprawl, not a good thing. Its the exodus of people leaving the city, and heading to the suburbs. So yes, Duluth is loosing people, and is considered a rust belt city.

Once again, yes, the Rust Belt has been shedding jobs, but YOU FAIL to read articles on Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Those are the two cities I am talking about. Maybe if you read so called "recent" articles, you would see that Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have metro area unemployment rates below the national average of metro areas. You would see that they have diversified their economies and are home to some top notch universities. Carnegie Mellon, Case Western, UPMC, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Heinz, Progressive, Key Bank, PNC, etc... ring a bell? All based in these two very underrated cities. Not to bash Detroit, but they have GM, Chrysler, and Ford, and we know how the auto industry is doing. Its called diversification, and I am pretty proud with how Pittsburgh and Cleveland have done trying to transform themsevles. Cities all over the country have problems, and working on those issues should be top priority.

I think Minnesota is a great state, and Minneapolis like I stated, is one of my favorite cities. But Duluth is considered a rust belt city. Just because you are labeled with that doesn't mean you are a bad city. You sit here and talk about rust belt cities like they are some horrible place to avoid. Minnesota needs to work on bringing Duluth back, and not sugar-coating the problems like you seem to do. Minneapolis is not rust belt, same with Cincinnati and Columbus, but Ohio is not going to ignore Cleveland. Philadelphia and Harrisburg are not rust belt, but they are not going to ignore Pittsburgh.

Second off, don't sit there and call me an "ignorant, senseless fool." You do not know me, so do not sit there and act like you do. You just lowered yourself severely by acting like you did. You lost a lot of credibility. Calling names on the internet is really classy and mature.

I have visited Minnesota many times. So I know what is there to offer. But I am from PA and recently moved to Ohio. These states are beautiful, offer great diversity, amazing cities, and large corporations and universities are here. My company is expanding like crazy, and I live in a metro area that was ranked best mid-sized metro area for expansion in business. I will stick up for Ohio and PA when someone is throwing BS all over them.
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Blue Ash, Ohio (Cincinnati)
2,786 posts, read 5,680,684 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Thank you for making my night. I have to leave at this. Sorry, this is just too good.
Oh trust me, this isn't over. I will be waiting for a PM from you tommorow. How old are you, 17? This had been fun.
 
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
9,397 posts, read 13,696,080 times
Reputation: 6234
Nothing says hypocrisy like getting mad at people for generalizing your state and then generalizing another state.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Yeah
3,191 posts, read 5,841,870 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I live in the Midwest, and in a town that is Hillier than anywhere in Pennsylvania. So there.
Obviously you have never been to Pennsylvania and you reply with the mentality of a ten year old.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Yeah
3,191 posts, read 5,841,870 times
Reputation: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
And If being a cheerleader means telling an ignorant, senseless fool......
I love hypocrites. Someone who thinks they have lived in a town in the Midwest that's hillier than anywhere in PA.......now that's ignorant and senseless.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Can you people please read better.

I never said that MN DOESN'T rely on Manufactuing. What I said was that comparing MN to the Manufactring devestation of places like PA, OH, IN, and MI, there isn't even a comparison. MN was merely hurt by the rust belt phenomenon, other than the Iron Range, but still nothing that compares to places like Cleveland, Pitts, Detroit...

I guess we're just the leading state in producing corn, soy beans and other agriculture for nothing..

And I mentioned Bob Dylan because some douche mentioned Robert Fripp in WV, so ask him what Robert Fripp has anything to do with um, anything.

Ha, and I've been to New England, you can keep it.
My reading comprehension is fine. You stated MN is NOT a manufacturing state when it most definitely is.

You have the imagination of a Clam and the IQ of a turnip that has been sitting in the ground about six months beyond harvest. OK? Your snotty little barbs directed at people that obviously not only have more real world experience and are better informed than you is laughable at best and only showcases your limited knowledge and pretentious and shallow personality.

Robert Fripp is an acclaimed guitarist and one of the founding members of a progressive rock group called King Crimson. Someone of his stature would not start a music school in a backwater.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 04-15-2010 at 08:15 AM..
 
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 AM
 
5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Reputation: 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I don't know what you're arguing, and your links are cute, but the post i responded to a user that said "There are hills in PA that are bigger than ANYWHERE in the midwest, you clearly have NEVER been to PA"

And I responed with "Actually, I live in one of the hilliest bigger cities in America, and Ironically it's in the Midwest" and I have been to PA. So I pwnd that user's post.

According to C-D, not Google. Pittsburgh's highest point is 1,223 ft and lowest point is 696 ft, difference of 527 ft. Duluth's highest point is 1,485 ft and lowest point is 605 ft, difference of 880 ft.

I'm not talking about sizes of cities, but Duluth is a hilly city. And it's in the Midwest. So, the BS that the user said was wrong. And sorry, not using 'Google Maps' as imperical evidence that Duluth IS a hilly city. It's built on a hill. We have 2 weather temperatures because THATS how much the temp varies from the bottom to the highest point.
As long as we're going to have to continue to read to your inane babble, I'd like to point out that the word "imperical" is spelled "empirical".

And what kind of word is "pwnd"? Even people in West Virginia can spell better than this. And you have the nerve to come down hard on the entire state as being inferior?

Now where did you get your college degrees?

Last edited by WILWRadio; 04-15-2010 at 08:15 AM..
 
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 AM
 
11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
As long as we're going to have to continue to read to your inane babble, I'd like to point out that the word "imperical" is spelled "empirical".

And what kind of word is "pwnd"? Even people in West Virginia can spell better than this. And you have the nerve to come down hard on the entire state as being inferior?

Now where did you get your college degrees?
If you're on the web for any decent amount of time, you'll see pwnd everywhere. Google it. It's just internet slang, and has nothing to do with not being able to spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top