U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM

3,798 posts, read 8,166,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
As long as we're going to have to continue to read to your inane babble, I'd like to point out that the word "imperical" is spelled "empirical".

And what kind of word is "pwnd"? Even people in West Virginia can spell better than this. And you have the nerve to come down hard on the entire state as being inferior?

Now where did you get your college degrees?

I focus on spelling in real-life situations. Not when I'm flipping through windows at work in a cheap internet forum. Don't flatter yourself

Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I love hypocrites. Someone who thinks they have lived in a town in the Midwest that's hillier than anywhere in PA.......now that's ignorant and senseless.

Hey Scott, go back and read man. Just flip through and read.

The guy I was responding to said "There are places of PA that are hillier than AnYWHERE in the Midwest"

and I said that I live in Duluth, most certainly not a place that isn't hilly. I've been to PA too and didn't see many hills.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM

2,200 posts, read 3,791,120 times
Here is a good example of what some mountains in PA look like: http://www.earthfoot.org/places/uspa01a.jpg

In fact, a very large portion of PA looks like that.

Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. are NOT flat as a pancake either, as an earlier poster alluded to. They are filled with rolling hills, and many areas have much higher hills as well.

Quote:
I've been to PA too and didn't see many hills.
Philadelphia isn't all of PA, in case you didn't know.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
Native Minnesotan here. Yes, Pennsylvania is definitely VERY hilly. I think anyone who has spent any amount of time outside of just the immediate Philly area realizes that.

And, of course, Duluth has hills, too.

I guess if this gets into whether or not there are places in PA that are hillier than anyplace in the Midwest gets pretty silly: do you mean amount of land covered by hills? Steepness? How do you measure? PA beats MN in terms of quantity (by far: that's what happens when you have a couple of mountain ranges running through the state), but that doesn't mean there aren't also areas of MN that also have hills, including some pretty steep ones around Lake Superior.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Here is a good example of what some mountains in PA look like: http://www.earthfoot.org/places/uspa01a.jpg

Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, etc. are NOT flat as a pancake either, as an earlier poster alluded to. They are filled with rolling hills, and many areas have much higher hills as well.

The guy is incredibly ignorant. Pure and simple. After reading his latest posts it is obvious he cannot accurately convey his thoughts to "paper" and get his message across. He types one thing and believes he is saying one thing, but virtually everyone that reads what he posts interpret his message as something different than he intends.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,983,896 times
Another Minnesotan here.

Northeastern Minnesota is very much a part of the rust belt. Gt to Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Chisholm, Virginia, Eveleth, or Duluth and try and tell me it is not a part of the rust belt; it's as rust belt as you can get. This isn't a bad thing either; old rust belt cities can be amazing places if managed right. I hope someday Duluth can be revitalized - the location is too good to spoil. That being said, it is true that Minnesota's economy is not nearly as dependent on manufacturing and mining as other states. Agriculture is larger and the Twin Cities MSA has the seventh highest concentration of Fortune 500 HQ's in the US.

And yes, MN has some of the best schools in the country. Of all the states that primarily take the ACT (basically the South and Midwest/the flyover states), MN has the highest average score.
ACT Scores
Only schools in New England and the rest of the Upper Midwest rival ours in terms of the sheer percent of schools that are good. There are no bad school districts in the state while it is common in other states where people pay double the prices for similar houses less than a mile away just to get in the better district. You don't have that in MN.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:06 AM

92 posts, read 312,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Hmm I am of mixed race and moved to Cleveland a couple years ago. Most of what you said hasn't applied to me here, and I don't notice it. I do believe though that Cleveland and Indianapolis differ in terms of diversity and culture (Cleveland has far more).
Cleveland is a different story. Heck, I don't consider Cleveland to be part of the midwest. It's more like a great lake city near Detroit. Cleveland and Indianapolis is like comparing apples to bananas. Cleveland is more "diverse" whereas Indianapolis, although diverse, still has this "old school" mentality where minorities are looked down upon.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:07 AM

92 posts, read 312,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
And most will be home in bed by 11:30. Need to catch the waves the next morning
I hope you're not talking about L.A. because downtown L.A. is a ghost town after 8PM. The good clubs are in West L.A. and Santa Monica.

If you want real 24-7 traffic and action, go to NYC.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Another Minnesotan here.

Northeastern Minnesota is very much a part of the rust belt. Gt to Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Chisholm, Virginia, Eveleth, or Duluth and try and tell me it is not a part of the rust belt; it's as rust belt as you can get. This isn't a bad thing either; old rust belt cities can be amazing places if managed right. I hope someday Duluth can be revitalized - the location is too good to spoil. That being said, it is true that Minnesota's economy is not nearly as dependent on manufacturing and mining as other states. Agriculture is larger and the Twin Cities MSA has the seventh highest concentration of Fortune 500 HQ's in the US.

And yes, MN has some of the best schools in the country. Of all the states that primarily take the ACT (basically the South and Midwest/the flyover states), MN has the highest average score.
ACT Scores
Only schools in New England and the rest of the Upper Midwest rival ours in terms of the sheer percent of schools that are good. There are no bad school districts in the state while it is common in other states where people pay double the prices for similar houses less than a mile away just to get in the better district. You don't have that in MN.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. I was never claiming that MN has no ties to the Rust Belt, heck Duluth is often referred to the City where the Rust Belt began, and I certainly did not intend to say MN has NO ties to Manufacturing what-so-ever.

I just don't think it's fair to places like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit to say Minneapolis is on the same page in terms of Job Losses from Manufacturing. The 1970s hit jobs hard, especially in the manufacturing sector. Due to the EPA, and environmental concerns, outsourcing for cheaper land and wages, and the evolution of our economy from Manufacturing to Retail/services, MPLS just simply did not get hit as hard. You don't see the "Brownfields" of former manufacturing places in the Twin Cites as much as you would in other places that were hit harder by the Rust Belt phenom. Places like Iron Range and Duluth/Superior were hit, but they weren't 500,000 - 900,000 pop. cities when they got hurt. What's the old saying "the higher the climb the harder the fall?"

I also never said that MN wasn't a manufacturing state. That's people's lack of willingness to read or to comprehend what I was writing. I get that MN's economy relies on Manufacturing, duh, much of our country does as we are a developed 1st world nation. It's what drives the economy as a whole, but MN also uses argriculture for bringing in monies, and we're not consisntently one of the leading Corn and Soy Bean producers in the USA for nothing.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

Ok, well then don't say that PA has more hills than anywhere in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.