U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times

Advertisements

lol i like how this thread turned into midwesterners adamantly defending their respective states. every state in the US is great!

but the original question was "how did the midwest get such a bum rap?", so the opinions of people from outside the midwest should be accounted for as well, not being put down by (defensive) locals. their opinions reflect the perceived reasons how the midwest got a bum rap, and though they may not be right (and the midwest is actually pretty fun/amazing/beautiful/whatever you want to call it), it certainly answers the original question..

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
For as many things and stereotypes/misunderstandings about the Midwest that you hear from people on the coasts or down south - I've noticed no one in the Midwest really worries about how they're viewed. I grew up in Iowa, which is the butt of a lot of jokes and has a LOT of stereotypes. If anything we almost liked it, it was kinda funny, and people tended to just leave us alone to live our lives in peace. I liked growing up without any worries or issues, crime, homelessness, traffic, congestion, budget deficits, social problems, etc.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,108,683 times
Having no mountains, no beaches, and too many white people is apparently too boring.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Yep, boring. There's your answer.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM

22,154 posts, read 23,683,428 times
This is a bit of a curveball theory, but I think it's worth considering:

The Midwest had very heavy german immigration compared to all other regions of the US and were one of the main components of what made up various midwestern cultures. These were often very tight knit communities that kept many traditions going and experienced fairly decent continuation of tradition, and in some cases immigration, from various regions of Germany and German-speaking countries. However, the two world wars started a very strong anti German culture movement within the US for various reasons and forced a lot of homogenization and eroding of those traditions forcing much less vibrant and diverse communities.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,321,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is a bit of a curveball theory, but I think it's worth considering:

The Midwest had very heavy german immigration compared to all other regions of the US and were one of the main components of what made up various midwestern cultures. These were often very tight knit communities that kept many traditions going and experienced fairly decent continuation of tradition, and in some cases immigration, from various regions of Germany and German-speaking countries. However, the two world wars started a very strong anti German culture movement within the US for various reasons and forced a lot of homogenization and eroding of those traditions forcing much less vibrant and diverse communities.
Well, although I like your creativity, at least two things aren't correct about your theory: 1.) the Midwest IS diverse in many places, and 2.) many communities do NOT have a high % of German descent, and the ones that do often aren't noticeable because the culture is completely gone (due to animosity from WWII).

The reason the Midwest has FEWER immigrants in general is because it does not border Mexico or is not the 1st place the plane or boat stops when crossing the ocean. That's the "fallback" when you are in the middle. Look at the cities/states with large immigrant populations and the nationalities that generally make up the regions:

West Coast is by far the most Asian (closest to Asia)
East Coast/NE is by far the most European and African
The South is by far the most black (for reasons that don't have QUITE as much to do with location, but still does)
Florida has by far the largest Caribbean Hispanic population (Central America)
The Southwest has by far the most Mexican Hispanic population

Besides, if Minnesota bordered Mexico, do you really think that the Hispanic population wouldn't be MUCH bigger, just because it's in the Midwest? I don't.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM

189 posts, read 341,143 times
I've always been puzzled when people tell me that Ohio is nothing but cornfields. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a lot, but as of 2000 over one-third of the state was covered in forest, and that number is steadily increasing. We're also one of the most urban states in the country. I feel like people assume I live in the country when I tell them where I'm from.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM

475 posts, read 400,374 times
Because the Mid West has nothing to offer except for hicks, rednecks, stupid conservatives and republicans. And they still live in the 1950's and refuse to progress. Who would want to live there ?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:29 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Because the Mid West has nothing to offer except for hicks, rednecks, stupid conservatives and republicans. And they still live in the 1950's and refuse to progress. Who would want to live there ?
Oh look, the clueless wonder has blessed us with one of their totally stupid posts.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
All sarcasm aside though, there are actually plenty of ignorant people out there who actually think those things about the midwest. Sad, but true. Most people who live in the area just laugh at the ignorance, since they're spared from a lot of the crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.