U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,546,295 times
Reputation: 615

Advertisements

Those mountains and beaches are not close to any major city except that Chicago has fine beach. Then Chicago is totally out of the league of any other major midwest city and is totally on par with the coasts. Michigan's scenary is good but the economy especially in Detroit sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Most people think of the Midwest as flat, landlocked, and boring; but this is not true. We have several mountain ranges, including the Appalachians in Ohio, the Porcupines (Porkies) in Michigan, the Ozarks in Missouri, and the Black Hills in South Dakota. We also have more coastline than the west or east coast, with the great lakes. Specifically, Michigan has mountains and beaches, but is often overlooked because it's NOT on one of the coasts and has a temperate climate. If Michigan was next to Florida or California, it would probably be a huge vacation spot.

 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,134,637 times
Reputation: 3117
Rural Michigan is actually one of the most beautiful places in the country in my opinion.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
 
1,263 posts, read 3,546,295 times
Reputation: 615
I don't think so. They are so different from the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Perhaps the Great Plains states like Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Ohio share commonalities with the Southern US, but the Great Lakes states have zero in common with the South.

Minnesota, Iowa to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Michigan, and Northern Ohio have more in common with the Northeast states like Pennsylvania and Upstate NY than they do with the South or even the Great Plains states.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Perhaps the Great Plains states like Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Ohio share commonalities with the Southern US, but the Great Lakes states have zero in common with the South.

Minnesota, Iowa to a lesser extent, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Michigan, and Northern Ohio have more in common with the Northeast states like Pennsylvania and Upstate NY than they do with the South or even the Great Plains states.
Those Southern commonalities are limited at best though. The Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest comprise the Midwest. The Upper Midwest in my opinion has some Canadian influences, not Northeastern ones. The Midwest is its own distinct region though in most parts of it, by and large. Also, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are NOT Great Plains states. They have Southern influences to be sure, but are all overall Midwestern states.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
 
39 posts, read 91,732 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Because people are stupid and believe what they hear instead of what they experience.
Agreed!
 
Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Those Southern commonalities are limited at best though. The Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest comprise the Midwest. The Upper Midwest in my opinion has some Canadian influences, not Northeastern ones. The Midwest is its own distinct region though in most parts of it, by and large. Also, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are NOT Great Plains states. They have Southern influences to be sure, but are all overall Midwestern states.
Northern Wisconsin, northern Michigan, and northern Minnesota have strong Canadian influences in culture, accent, and landscape. It is not even remotely like the agrarian Midwest.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Key West
767 posts, read 1,149,020 times
Reputation: 339
Midwest gets a bum rap mostly because there are some who have never visited that region and base their opinions on stereotypes by certain Hollywood "celebs" that call it "flyover country". Personally, I like the Midwest areas of America. Interesting places and truly Americas heartland
 
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Reputation: 13287
My favorite large Midwest cities are Chicago and Minneapolis. My favorite rural areas of the Midwest are the North Shore of MN and Northern Wisconsin (Vilas and Oneida counties in particular).
 
Old 06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Reputation: 3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Those mountains and beaches are not close to any major city except that Chicago has fine beach. Then Chicago is totally out of the league of any other major midwest city and is totally on par with the coasts. Michigan's scenary is good but the economy especially in Detroit sucks.
The Appalachians are near Cleveland and Columbus. The Great Lakes beaches are near Green Bay, Milwaukee, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, South Bend, Lansing, Cleveland, Toledo, and of course, Chicago. The Porkies aren't far from Green Bay and Minneapolis. The Ozarks are near St. Louis. Finally, the Black Hills are near Rapid City.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The Porkies aren't far from Green Bay and Minneapolis.
The Porcupine Mountains are quite a drive from Minneapolis. A mega destination area for MPLS residents is the Brainerd Lakes region which is a 2.5 hour drive to the north. You have Gull Lake, Pelican Lake, Resorts, golf courses, sandy beaches, and great fishing. Many have cabins up there. Ice fishing and snowmobiling are popular in the winter. Fall foliage is also fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top