U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Ozarks are the Ozarks, like the Appalachians are the Appalachians. They fall into several categories with the census, but they're definitely closer to their own than to some general Midwestern or Southern culture.
Actually not really. The Appalachians stretch from New York to Alabama. They are comprised of both North and South...but Southern Appalachia is definitely more aligned with the south. The same thing applies to the Northern Ozarks vs. the Southern Ozarks.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:39 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,739,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Ozarks are the Ozarks, like the Appalachians are the Appalachians. They fall into several categories with the census, but they're definitely closer to their own than to some general Midwestern or Southern culture.
I dunno about that......having grown up in what is classified as northern Ozarks, I can say that there isnt any mountain culture in Ste Genevieve county, MO.
I also lived in Butler county, MO, no mountain culture there, either, just southern.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Except that Iowa was the one of the first states to legalize gay marriage, the first state to allow woman's suffrage. Step out of your stereotypes
Yeah, I normally think of parts of the Midwest, especially the upper Midwest, as being fairly progressive.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, I normally think of parts of the Midwest, especially the upper Midwest, as being fairly progressive.
Yes, ENORMOUS differences between the upper Midwest and lower Midwest- particularly rural areas. Most rural areas in the upper Midwest are fairly well maintained with higher incomes, educational attainment, and lower unemployment. The lower Midwest fares far worse in all regards mentioned above.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, ENORMOUS differences between the upper Midwest and lower Midwest- particularly rural areas. Most rural areas in the upper Midwest are fairly well maintained with higher incomes, educational attainment, and lower unemployment. The lower Midwest fares far worse in all regards mentioned above.
As far as your claim that rural areas in the lower Midwest are not as well maintained, you wouldnt mind providing some credible data to back that up, would you?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,516,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
One can only suppose you've never heard of the Ozark Mountains.
Southern Missouri is technically the South, and besides they're nowhere near as majestic as the Rockies or Cascades.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Southern Missouri is technically the South, and besides they're nowhere near as majestic as the Rockies or Cascades.
I dont suppose you noticed my post that contained a link about the northernmost point of the Ozarks starting in ST LOUIS COUNTY?
Thats not southern MO, nor is it the south.
Honey, I'm from SE MO, so I do believe I know what I am speaking of.
The Ozarks are far older than the 2 mountain ranges you mention, if those 2 were the same age, they would be just as worn down.
Doesnt make the Ozarks not mountains.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,486,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
The issue isn't "which mountains are more majestic?" but rather people that assume that since they've seen an Indiana cornfield or a Kansas wheatfield that there is no topographical diversity in the Midwest, and that it is all flat, boring, and ugly. I think the problem is further exacerbated when people assume that because the Midwest doesn't have mountains like the West that there's nothing to do outdoors in the Midwest, which is absolutely inaccurate. We're not trying to subjectively decide which terrain is more "majestic"...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
The issue isn't "which mountains are more majestic?" but rather people that assume that since they've seen an Indiana cornfield or a Kansas wheatfield that there is no topographical diversity in the Midwest, and that it is all flat, boring, and ugly. I think the problem is further exacerbated when people assume that because the Midwest doesn't have mountains like the West that there's nothing to do outdoors in the Midwest, which is absolutely inaccurate. We're not trying to subjectively decide which terrain is more "majestic"...
Agree 1000% with this post!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Quote:
Actually there are very very few conservation lands in the Midwest to enjoy being outdoors since many states have a 99% private ownership rate. That is not the case at all in other regions in the country when you have a much higher percentage of public lands or conservation lands. While one can find national forests and conserved lands at the periphery of the Midwest (Northwoods, Ohio Valley, northern Ozarks) not much can be found at all near the core of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.