U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM

447 posts, read 277,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Actually there are very very few conservation lands in the Midwest to enjoy being outdoors since many states have a 99% private ownership rate. That is not the case at all in other regions in the country when you have a much higher percentage of public lands or conservation lands. While one can find national forests and conserved lands at the periphery of the Midwest (Northwoods, Ohio Valley, northern Ozarks) not much can be found at all near the core of the region.
Yes, very very few...

In Wisconsin, we only have 51 areas like that... and that is only what the state lists outside urban areas...

Some people just have no idea...

Devil's Lake State Park is one of my favorites and for those who still think that the Midwest is all flat fields of crop:

http://www.devilslakewisconsin.com/3...lsDoorway.html

Last edited by Indyking; 05-11-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,797,561 times
Yeah, even Illinois, with all its corn and soybean fields, has over 123 protected areas in the state:

List of protected areas of Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 AM

33 posts, read 25,792 times
I want people to hate the Midwest. Keep it my best kept secret. Stay out.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM

653 posts, read 350,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You're right. The beaches in Michigan are far superior. I have been to beaches in Florida, Georgia, California, Jamaica, Michigan, and South Carolina; and Michigan beaches were by FAR the most beautiful.

They are much greener than the semi-arid mountains of the West. Also, they are hikable. You don't need to be an experienced climber to enjoy the mountains of the Midwest.

This. I grew up in Ohio, currently live in Montana, my sister lives in Hawaii and I'm hoping to move to Michigan soon. The beaches are better in Michigan and northern Michigan and the UP are some of the most beautiful places I've ever been. The Rocky mountains are great to look at in the spring and winter when they're green or snow covered but they're brown in the summer and fall and most people are too lazy to hike them.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:04 PM

293 posts, read 258,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuscia View Post
I want people to hate the Midwest. Keep it my best kept secret. Stay out.
LOL - Midwestern hospitality? I'm pretty sure everyone who actually wants to live in the MidWest is already doing so

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM

2,724 posts, read 1,317,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You're right. The beaches in Michigan are far superior. I have been to beaches in Florida, Georgia, California, Jamaica, Michigan, and South Carolina; and Michigan beaches were by FAR the most beautiful.

They are much greener than the semi-arid mountains of the West. Also, they are hikable. You don't need to be an experienced climber to enjoy the mountains of the Midwest.
Absolutely no way. More beautiful than Florida, CA, Hawaii (you didn't mention it, I know)? Laughable.

I've seen Great Lakes beaches on Lake Michigan and while they are beautiful, no way are they more beautiful than many ocean beaches throughout the country and world (you mentioned Jamaica). Talk about homerism. Wow.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 549,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Talk about homerism. Wow.
^ From the expert.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM

517 posts, read 201,379 times
The Midwest is the most featureless and boring part of the U.S. That, in short, is why it gets a bum rap.

And, on average, it's cities suck. Take a random Midwest city (Toledo, Flint, Ft. Wayne. etc.) and much worse than similarly sized cities in other parts of the country.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM

1,321 posts, read 549,411 times
Yeah, all you have is the largest chunk of fresh water on the planet (Great Lakes), the biggest river in the hemisphere (Mississippi), the most lakes in the country, Ozarks, Driftless, Chicago, Great River Road, Twin Cities, Voyageurs National Park, Apostle Islands, etc.

By the way, your "random Midwest cities" were quite obviously the worst examples you could come up with. People can see right through your usual ignorance, you may as well drop any pretense from here on out because you're not fooling anyone.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM

517 posts, read 201,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Yeah, all you have is the largest chunk of fresh water on the planet (Great Lakes), the biggest river in the hemisphere (Mississippi), the most lakes in the country, Ozarks, Driftless, Chicago, Great River Road, Twin Cities, Voyageurs National Park, Apostle Islands, etc.
Most people don't care about "largest chunk of fresh water", "biggest river" and the like. Who cares? You want the Rockies, Big Sur, or Lake Erie?
The Great Lakes have some pretty parts, but mostly Lake Superior and a few parts of Lake Ontario. Even then, nothing spectacular. The Mississippi River isn't a scenic river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
By the way, your "random Midwest cities" were quite obviously the worst examples you could come up with. People can see right through your usual ignorance, you may as well drop any pretense from here on out because you're not fooling anyone.
Ok, then why don't you tell me the "random Midwest cities" that are so great? Let's look at the largest cities.

Chicago is the only really top city in the Midwest, and even so, falls short compared to the other largest U.S. cities. Chicago is the murder capital of the U.S. and has the nation's second worst population decline. Most of the city is pretty slummy.

Detroit is the #2 city in the Midwest, and is a basket case in almost every aspect. I don't even think this needs discussing.

Twin Cities are the #3, and don't have horrible urban problems like Chicago and Detroit, but are flat, boring, featureless. Nothing really stands out about the Twin Cities.

St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincy, and Milwaukee are the other major cities of the Midwest. None are really that interesting.

Now compare to the Northeast Corridor, where you have NYC, Philly, Boston, DC in a very small area, and tons of great small cities. Or compare to the West Coast, where you have LA, SF, SD, Seattle, Portland, etc., all of which are close to beautiful nature and scenery, and none of which have urban problems like 90% of the Midwest cities.

Most people, if given a choice, will pick Miami over Indy, San Francisco over Milwaukee, NYC over Chicago, LA over Detroit, etc. It isn't really close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.