U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
 
390 posts, read 784,383 times
Reputation: 504

Advertisements

I want to like the Midwest, but it has more unenviable qualities than any other region in the US.

- Population decline (i.e. Great White Flight)
- Weather extremes (very cold, windy and snowy in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer)
- High violent crime (Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc)
- High unemployment
- Poor public educational systems
- Poor infrastructure (remember the Minneapolis bridge collapse?)
- Cities are isolated

 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Most people don't care about "largest chunk of fresh water", "biggest river" and the like. Who cares? You want the Rockies, Big Sur, or Lake Erie?
The Great Lakes have some pretty parts, but mostly Lake Superior and a few parts of Lake Ontario. Even then, nothing spectacular. The Mississippi River isn't a scenic river.



Ok, then why don't you tell me the "random Midwest cities" that are so great? Let's look at the largest cities.

Chicago is the only really top city in the Midwest, and even so, falls short compared to the other largest U.S. cities. Chicago is the murder capital of the U.S. and has the nation's second worst population decline. Most of the city is pretty slummy.

Detroit is the #2 city in the Midwest, and is a basket case in almost every aspect. I don't even think this needs discussing.

Twin Cities are the #3, and don't have horrible urban problems like Chicago and Detroit, but are flat, boring, featureless. Nothing really stands out about the Twin Cities.

St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincy, and Milwaukee are the other major cities of the Midwest. None are really that interesting.

Now compare to the Northeast Corridor, where you have NYC, Philly, Boston, DC in a very small area, and tons of great small cities. Or compare to the West Coast, where you have LA, SF, SD, Seattle, Portland, etc., all of which are close to beautiful nature and scenery, and none of which have urban problems like 90% of the Midwest cities.

Most people, if given a choice, will pick Miami over Indy, San Francisco over Milwaukee, NYC over Chicago, LA over Detroit, etc. It isn't really close.
I don't know where to even start with this diatribe.......wow, insane!

Here are some of my favorite comments:

"The Mississippi River isn't a scenic river"
"Chicago....falls short compared to the other largest U.S. cities"
"Twin Cities.....are flat, boring, featureless"
"LA, SF, SD, Seattle, Portland, etc....none of which have urban problems"


I'll just let this fester without responding...
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
The Mississippi River isn't a scenic river.
You're the typical coaster who has zero experience with areas of the country he still feels the need to LOUDLY and incorrectly stereotype. Example:

Great River Road National Scenic Byway (Wisconsin):





.





Similarly beautiful pictures could be posted from Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. I challenge anyone to take the Great River Road and come away with anything less than admiration.
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I want to like the Midwest, but it has more unenviable qualities than any other region in the US.

- Population decline (i.e. Great White Flight)
- Weather extremes (very cold, windy and snowy in the winter and very hot and humid in the summer)
- High violent crime (Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, etc)
- High unemployment
- Poor public educational systems
- Poor infrastructure (remember the Minneapolis bridge collapse?)
- Cities are isolated
Compared to.................................?

............The Northeast? Ok, got us. Now what about the rest of the country? Besides Florida there aren't areas in the United States of America with the number and variety of cities that exist in the Midwest, especially between Chicago and Pittsburgh ("Chi-Pitts" megalopolis").
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Similarly beautiful pictures could be posted from Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. I challenge anyone to take the Great River Road and come away with anything less than admiration.
People seem to think that places without mountains can't be beautiful. I can't think of any other reason for these comments.
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
Reputation: 946
Both those dudes are completely clueless. I think Tor_Nado does it on purpose, though, not sure if that makes it better or worse.
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
 
517 posts, read 560,946 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You're the typical coaster who has zero experience with areas of the country he still feels the need to LOUDLY and incorrectly stereotype. Example:
Again, the Mississippi isn't scenic. Obviously a river traveling thousands of miles will have some variety, but most of the Mississippi sucks.

Just because you can post some pics showing that .01% of the Mississippi looks less than ugly doesn't make it scenic overall. It's generally flat scenery, muddy water, and you can't even see the river because of all the flood control. We aren't talking the Rio Grande or the Columbia River or the Hudson here.
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
As if scenery were the #1 requirement for "best places" in the 1st place! I love scenery as much as the next person, but I'll live if I don't have a sweeping view of mountains or the ocean (has to be salt water, right?). Chances are you can't even see these things from your home anyways, but even if you can it doesn't add THAT much value to your quality of living, not when other things are concerned (i.e. jobs, schools, safety, community, culture, etc.).
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
1,314 posts, read 1,736,634 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Again, the Mississippi isn't scenic. Obviously a river traveling thousands of miles will have some variety, but most of the Mississippi sucks.

Just because you can post some pics showing that .01% of the Mississippi looks less than ugly doesn't make it scenic overall.
Great River Road National Scenic Byway travels along the entirety of the river along the Wisconsin border, or 250 miles. The pictures I posted are from various spots along the river, the whole drive is beautiful and framed with giant bluffs and quaint river towns. On the other side of the river you have MN's Hwy 61, made famous by Bob Dylan, equally as beautiful. The Byway then extends through Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. Do I have to post pictures from every 5 miles along the way? This is what the Upper Mississippi looks like, the northern half is gorgeous and you didn't know the first thing about it, yet you have an opinion regardless, don't you?
 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM
 
517 posts, read 560,946 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Great River Road National Scenic Byway travels along the entirety of the river along the Wisconsin border, or 250 miles. The pictures I posted are from various spots along the river, the whole drive is beautiful and framed with giant bluffs and quaint river towns.
Your pics aren't even beautiful. They're nothing special. And those are the best pics you could find for thousands of miles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
This is what the Upper Mississippi looks like, the northern half is gorgeous and you didn't know the first thing about it, yet you have an opinion regardless, don't you?
If these pics are your definition of gorgeous, I think you would have a heart attack if you visited the Columbia River in Oregon or the Hudson River north of NYC. Or, God forbid, you visit the Rio Grande through the Grand Canyon. Holy crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top