U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Your pics aren't even beautiful. They're nothing special. And those are the best pics you could find for thousands of miles?

If these pics are your definition of gorgeous, I think you would have a heart attack if you visited the Columbia River in Oregon or the Hudson River north of NYC. Or, God forbid, you visit the Rio Grande through the Grand Canyon. Holy crap.
Ah, but you said it "wasn't scenic." You never said "it isn't as beautiful as the world's largest canyon." Are you still going to hold onto the "opinion" that the Great River Road National Scenic Byway "isn't scenic" or are you ready to admit you were mistaken?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 PM

517 posts, read 561,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Ah, but you said it "wasn't scenic." You never said "it isn't as beautiful as the world's largest canyon." Are you still going to hold onto the "opinion" that the Great River Road National Scenic Byway "isn't scenic" or are you ready to admit you were mistaken?
I said the Mississippi River generally sucks, and isn't scenic. Your pics aren't scenic, and they show the best part of the river. 99% of the river looks nothing like your pics.

So, yeah. The Missisippi sucks. It isn't beautiful.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

The northern HALF looks like the pictures I posted, making it around 50% scenic. We're talking about the Midwest here, which you've clearly never been to, not the deep south. Stay on topic. You were wrong, now be an adult about it.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The northern HALF looks like the pictures I posted, making it around 50% scenic. We're talking about the Midwest here, which you've clearly never been to, not the deep south. Stay on topic. You were wrong, now be an adult about it.
Your pics aren't scenic, and, no, the northern half does not look like that. Most of your pics show the exact same bend in the river, and the same hills.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Minnesota:

Iowa:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Illinois:

Missouri:

This is the northern 50% of the river.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Your pics aren't scenic, and, no, the northern half does not look like that. Most of your pics show the exact same bend in the river, and the same hills.
They're certainly scenic by anyone's definition, and no, every picture is from a different area along the road in Wisconsin. I grabbed quick pictures of the Mississippi along 4 different states to further illustrate. Just give it up, you're embarrassing yourself.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
They're certainly scenic by anyone's definition, and no, every picture is from a different area along the road in Wisconsin. I grabbed quick pictures of the Mississippi along 4 different states to further illustrate. Just give it up, you're embarrassing yourself.
Sorry, your pics aren't impressive, and, no, that isn't representative of the Mississsippi.

I know that actual topography is rare in that part of the country, so anything that isn't a flat cornfield is considered scenic, but most people would not consider a random hill to be particularly scenic.

I lived enough years in Illinois and Michigan to know the Midwest definition of "hilly". It means anything not completely flat.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Breakdown of the initial pictures, all different locations:

1. Not sure, but where are the islands in the other pictures?
2. This is clearly identified as Mt. Trempeleau.
3. This is near Alma.
4. Not sure, but you'll notice no islands.
5. Pepin area (the widest natural spot on the Mississippi).

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,726,844 times
Quote:
Sorry, your pics aren't impressive, and, no, that isn't representative of the Mississsippi.

I know that actual topography is rare in that part of the country, so anything that isn't a flat cornfield is considered scenic, but most people would not consider a random hill to be particularly scenic.

I lived enough years in Illinois and Michigan to know the Midwest definition of "hilly". It means anything not completely flat.
But does everyone have a negative outlook on things as you do? No (and thank god)
They arent scenic to you, but to the rest of us who enjoy more things in life, do find it scenic and impressive.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:

You've never been to the Driftless, which surrounds the Upper Mississippi. Again, and for the last time, the entirety of the Upper Mississippi is scenic; you've never been there, yet you continue to backpedal even though you're trapped in a corner with no way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.