U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 02:24 PM

517 posts, read 561,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
That's like saying once you've been to Paris, NYC and every other city is just a cheap knock off.
Bad comparison. NYC and Paris are competitive in terms of beauty and attractions. Indiana and California are not competive in terms of beauty and attractions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I really think the Midwest is underrated. Especially Michigan.
Most of Michigan is ugly. The UP and a few parts of the NW Lower Peninsula are nice. But overall, Michigan is an ugly state, with run-down cities, too much sprawl, and not very scenic. Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Jackson, Muskegan, etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM

517 posts, read 561,618 times
Right, by a reader poll. The same one that called Traverse City, MI the most beautiful place in the U.S.

Torch Lake is a generic lake. If that's beauty, you must pass out visiting anywhere in the Western U.S.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Right, by a reader poll. The same one that called Traverse City, MI the most beautiful place in the U.S.

Torch Lake is a generic lake. If that's beauty, you must pass out visiting anywhere in the Western U.S.

I live in the Western US. I can see the brown mountains through the wildfire smoky haze as we speak. I try not to walk outside because it smells like burnt trees. I could go to the lake tonight but that's a good 45 minute drive to one of the few lakes in my state.

Who should vote if not actual human beings?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,478 times
Some of us appreciate both what the West has to offer and the Midwest, and don't need to vilify the area where we grew up in order to feel better about ourselves. You had a bad childhood and moved away, boo hoo!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM

21,338 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
You know what I meant. The point is the Mississippi is not a scenic river, and the Colorado, Hudson, Columbia rivers are scenic rivers.
nice try at trying to hide your lack of knowlegde on probably the most iconic geographic feature in the country, how could someone possibly not know what river flows through the Grand Canyon?!

point is, you're all hat and no cattle and probably haven't ventured beyond the internet to actually see anything you've been blustering about.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:39 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,478 times
Quote:
You know what I meant. The point is the Mississippi is not a scenic river, and the Colorado, Hudson, Columbia rivers are scenic rivers.
The Great River Road National Scenic Byway isn't at all scenic.

All these tautologies. Why do you keep coming back for more abuse?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
In case you haven't been following the thread, that was sarcasm!

Nope, just wanted to point to a pot gesturing wildly at a kettle.
I'm a homer? For what? The ever popular with the general American state of NJ? New York City, the major city I happen to live by? You're too much.

While I would call NJ beaches beautiful, I would never claim they're more beautiful than CA, HI, or FL beaches. In a few aspects I prefer FL beaches to NJ's.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Quote:
I think the Mississippi River is scenic. I would love to take a riverboat cruise along it, it's a vacation I would like to do sometime in the future. The major cities and smaller towns along it all seem to beautiful and charming, and the Mississippi is obviously a historic and important river.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
hey genuis...the Rio Grande doesn't flow through the Grand Canyon...Holy Crap indeed.
But it does go through a pretty big canyon...

nyu.edu

Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,322,771 times
Quote:
Besides the Hudson, they do not carry barge traffic either (there's nothing scenic about a river barge). Besides, you keep mentioning the Hudson River, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't take long to find some very UNSCENIC portions of the Hudson River in New York, just like some posters found very scenic (sorry, they're gorgeous, and I've been almost everywhere) shots of the Mississippi. The Driftless region in the Upper Midwest is littered with hills with vertical peaks between 500 and 750+ feet, or about 1/3 the size of your average Rockies ski resort, and half the size of resorts in the Appalachians. They're no mountains -- nobody will argue that -- but they aren't too significantly different than some "scenic" Appalachian areas you seem to be so fond of.

Between the Driftless/Mississippi River, Ozarks, Great Lakes, Hocking Valley, North Woods/North Shore (with their own small "mountains"), UP and tens of thousands of small lakes scattered throughout primarily three states (MN, WI, MI), I think the Midwest is fairly scenic.

The truth is very few places on Earth aren't beautiful in their own way. Every time I've tried to come up with one I've seen pictures or seen the area in person and I've taken back my words. A lot of people will claim that mountains are universally gorgeous, which is simply not true. The Cascades in Oregon, Washington and California are quite gorgeous, but you pay (dearly) for that beauty, both in terms of COL as well as relative isolation from the rest of the country. What's one person's trash is another's treasure, so to speak.

To each their own, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.