U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,075,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
With the exception of Chicago, it is boooorring.
Oh, stop...this shows such ignoraaaaance.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM

43 posts, read 47,776 times
To each is own, but I'd take Michigan over NY,Cali or FL anyday

Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

and the adirondacks look like this
I grew up less than an hour from the Adirondacks. The photo you posted was of the high peaks, most of the Adirondacks don't look like that. The western half looks like this, still nice but less spectacular:

Old Forge, New York by Dougtone, on Flickr

Old Forge New York by hunter_and_danielle, on Flickr

Actually they look a lot like Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan. Now for the same fix I drive down the Mississippi, and for the doubters, almost all of the Mississippi in this part of the country looks like this (photos mine)

mnoct201218 by afsmps, on Flickr

mnmay201204 by afsmps, on Flickr

trempeleau 13 by afsmps, on Flickr

trempeleau 12 by afsmps, on Flickr

fountain city 21 by afsmps, on Flickr

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,394,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You're the typical coaster who has zero experience with areas of the country he still feels the need to LOUDLY and incorrectly stereotype. Example:

Great River Road National Scenic Byway (Wisconsin):

Similarly beautiful pictures could be posted from Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. I challenge anyone to take the Great River Road and come away with anything less than admiration.
Hmmm, from the looks of your past posts you seem to harbor quite the scathing hatred towards us coasters. Interesting.....

Nice pics btw.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I grew up less than an hour from the Adirondacks. The photo you posted was of the high peaks, most of the Adirondacks don't look like that. The western half looks like this, still nice but less spectacular:
Well the point was the high peaks like that aren't in the Midwest. Of course it isn't all like that, but it does exist. Similarly to how the pictures being shown for midwest aren't all like that, the rest is actually lower in elevation as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That isn't a big deal to people on the east or west coast though. There are 500 foot cliffs right across from the Bronx. There are over 1000 foot directly up sub 1 mile hikes within 40 miles of NYC... If you are venturing all the way to the driftless from a major city like Minneapolis/Milwaukee/Chicago you'd already be in the Adirondacks or something.

Umm the areas in Appalachians are like 6000+ foot mountains dude. You are comparing this to 1000-1700 foot driftless region? A joke, surely, right? You need to get your eyes checked I think, they are way different in terms of feel and in person that your stats you chose to match up don't tell you.

Appalachian heights look like this...

summitpost

Ben Magro

While these areas are scenic and nice, I wouldn't say they are really impressive in a country where you have the rockies, cascades, sierras, etc. And in the Western U.S. and certain parts of the Eastern Seaboard somewhere like New England or in NC/TN/WV/Upstate NY they are a dime a dozen.
+1 I love being within a 2-hour drive of the Appalachians Gorgeous pictures!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not confusing them at all. The 1000 foot in NYC is a straight climb in .8 miles, it's right outside the city in the suburbs...

and the adirondacks look like this

weekly art

As somebody who has driven and climbed in elevation through both regions they are definitely different. Maybe you could compare that are to like Central Pennsylvania or something around Altoona, but they will be noticeably different than Eastern TN, Western NC smokies/blue ridge or mountains in New England.

You just aren't going to find stuff like this in Midwest

This is about a 3 1/2 hour base hike from NYC or about 4 from Boston in the Adirondacks and over 5000 feet.
+2 Who ever says the Eastern Seaboard doesn't have real mountains ought to get their heads examined. I'd say their eyes, but its their brains that I'm more worried about LOL

Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hmmm, from the looks of your past posts you seem to harbor quite the scathing hatred towards us coasters. Interesting.....

Nice pics btw.
More in response to an irritation than my actual outlook - I love East Coast cities and think the Appalachians are beautiful and wrongfully disregarded by Westerners. Which makes it ironic that the same East Coast folks who are up in arms about that are doing the exact same thing here. Driftless, Ozarks and Canadian Shield (WI/MI/MN) regions don't have the massive peaks that the Appalachians do, but the Appalachians peaks can't compare in height to the Rockies, and the Rockies are tiny next to the Himalayas. When did beauty become so dependent on math?

It's clear that PCH hasn't really been anywhere in the country, certainly not the Driftless areas he's attempting to denigrate.

I know that grapio hasn't ventured more than an hour or so outside Chicago, but has very strong opinions regarding Midwestern nature regardless. The Driftless begins outside Madison, it's not in the Dakotas or anything. Actually do a drive some day. Go through Madison and hit Hwy 60 through Lodi:

Drive the "90 miles of sand" along the Lower Wisconsin on the way to the Mississippi (or, better yet, canoe it and camp on miles of beach, sand bars and islands):

Drive up the Great River Road (enough pics of that already). Head through the Driftless, any road will do:

Maybe hit up the Kickapoo Valley (Kickapoo River is the oldest and windiest river in the world) and Wildcat Mtn State Park:

Hit the highway and drive back home along the edge of the Driftless in order to check out the only buttes and mesas east of the Mississippi (there are tons to choose from):

I left out Devil's Lake (most popular State Park in Wisconsin), Wisconsin Dells (most popular vacation spot in the Midwest), the only sand prairies/deserts east of the Mississippi, all kinds of unique micro-climates like goat prairies/gorges, not to mention the best cheese in the world across the whole area (hit up a cheese factory!). The Driftless would be bigger on its own than many Eastern states, and it's unique (entirely unique geologically to the continent) and scenic throughout. However, very few people know anything about it, even in the Midwest.

And the Driftless is just a single pretty area of the Midwest I've been focusing on because some bitter dude claimed the Mississippi is "not a scenic river."

Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,372,799 times
I just wanted to interject, these pics people are posting are beautiful. Carry on.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,739,478 times
Quote:
But it does go through a pretty big canyon...

nyu.edu
More math, I see. Do you really think that's more beautiful than the Upper Mississippi? It's certainly not more inviting. It doesn't appear hospitable at all. I'd certainly rather live in Fountain City with fish and eagles and trees than along the river above. This is about scenery, not weights and measures. All I see above are rocks, mud, a few bushes and death. And yes, the vast majority of the Driftless looks like the pictures posted. Read up on the history of the area (the glaciers went around it and left a rugged landscape un-eroded). Here is an aerial that shows the geography:

Every region of the country has varied and beautiful landscapes whether people want to admit it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.