U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,242,196 times
Reputation: 910

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Ronnie has created the perfect logical fallacy. Either you agree with him or you are being overly sensitive and insecure therefore proving him right.
Does anyone actually move to Minnesota long-term besides the Somali refugees?

 
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,075,131 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Born in Hawai'i, raised on the mainland midwest, so I have a good understanding of it.

Anything going on in WI besides the Packers lately??
Nope, not a thing...all we do is sleep - so boring here. LOL
 
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 AM
 
320 posts, read 474,299 times
Reputation: 289
U
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm a Midwest native, from the state of Missouri. You can't get anymore Midwestern than Missouri. I love my hometown but I would never move back there.

Racism is the worst in the Midwest. People stereotype racism with the south, but it's far worse in the Midwest.

Midwest lacks a lot of industry. Many major Midwest cities were manfacturing towns. With most manufacturing jobs gone, most Midwest towns don't have a lot of jobs. There are some professional class jobs but they are limited. Very few startups come from the Midwest.


The Midwest is cold. Some of the harshest winters in the country.


The Midwest isn't very scenic, but honestly taking the bus from Seattle to the Bay Area didn't have a lot of scenary either until we passed Mt. Shasta. Washington state is very green with a ton of trees but it gets boring after awhile. Oregon looks like any Midwest state. Cali is desolate until you get to central valley.


Crime is terrible in the Midwest. From St. Louis, Kansas City, Gary, Flint, Detroit, etc, the crime is horrible. Allcities have made their rounds in top 10 murder capital cities plenty of times in the past 20 years. Midwest cities make up some of the highest murder rates in the country.


People in the midwest are provincial. If I wasn't born in the midwest I would hate it. As much as I complained about Seattle being that way, I know for a fact the midwest is far far worse on that regard.

Poverty is the worst in the Midwest. Ghettos in other regions aren't close to being as run down as you'd find in the midwest.


Midwest cities are dangerous. I mentioned crime, which is bad in cities in other regions. But midwest core issue are mind blowing murder statistics. Even outside of Chicago the midwest is just dangerous. Period. Sure property crimes or drug crimes are issues. But a city is truly and legimimately dangerous when you talk about murder.


There aren't really a lot of gangs in the midwest. Crimes are actually committed by desperate people. People blame crime in gangs, but it's really desperate people who murder others. Midwest breeds desperate people.


All in all, the midwest sucks. People mentalities are hopeless there. There are a lot of people on the midwest who aren't well travelled either, leading massive disenfranchisement. The class and race seperation is hands down the worst I've ever seen anywhere. Ovwr the years I had to unprogram myself to the midwest way of thinking.


I love my hometown but there is a reason I don't live there anymore. And haven't moved back.

Weather and crime are probably the main reasons that natives from the Midwest relocate. Lack of jobs and poverty would also cause them to migrate. I do think that the crime rates in Midwest cities are the worst in the country but racism is about the same nationwide. Poverty is not the worse in Midwest cities.
 
Old 08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Does anyone actually move to Minnesota long-term besides the Somali refugees?
You are the worst troll on this entire forum. I can't believe you haven't been banned yet. You must have some sort of personality disorder that makes you do this. Of course people who aren't Somalis move to Minnesota for the long term. I am one of them, there are many others. Minneapolis is not exactly some Deliverance hick town that nobody wants to live in.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-25-2013 at 09:38 AM..
 
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,242,196 times
Reputation: 910
^^^^^

It's not, but it's also Siberia about half the year.

Midwestern transference has definitely gotten to you. It always turns Freudian when someone criticizes even the slightest thing with midwestern cities, or they make an attempt to "flip" whatever was said.

For the record, Minneapolis is one of the few midwestern cities I like. It's also well-known that Minnesota in general has a more insular culture than most places.
 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,796 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Other regions tend to respond to criticism in a not so childish manner. In the midwest (doesn't matter how big the city is), it's often taken as a personal insult, for the most part. There is a heightened sensitivity in the midwest, and this does vary by city as well.
That's because most of the 'criticism' about the Midwest are trollish delusions based on fantasy like yours. Lol.

Its no different from me saying, something like, CA is a total wasteland of no value whatsoever. And then people like you would say something loosely based on reality like say there are farms in the Midwest and use it to then extend it to some completely delusional conclusion about an entire region that isn't based on reality and in my analogy, I'd say oh because CA is completely overrun by Mexicans and Mexican illegals and do you know they even removed the US flag on public buildings in CA and replaced it with Mexican flag, and my conclusion is CA has nothing left, the entire West region in fact, has nothing but jobless Mexican illegals marching for more welfare and burritos..and prisoners in penitentiaries who stuff said burritos into each other's behinds, and that's why people who know that your garbage is based on ZERO reality respond to you in a way that your comment is idiotic and delusional. Because it is.

Its exactly as idiotic as IF I were to say the same thing about CA but I would never coz it's just retarded. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
A lot of this has to do with the fact that most midwestern cities above 100k are still disproportionately made up of "state natives" compared to other cities in the country. Most of the migration to the midwest has been lower-class immigrants, many of whom are not assimilated and/or educated.
This is the biggest croak of turd ever. The Midwest ACTUALLY receives educated foreign immigrants like educators, real immigrants of 'value' and American transplants whereas it's Northeast and West Coast that are getting the bulk of the Hispanic illegals and Viet sweatshop workers in NY. Just look at East Harlem and LA. The ghettos that house these unskilled immigrants in the Northeast and CA (and now they're extending to even Idaho LOL) are so famous there are even ghetto tours in LA.

Yet there's a troll making Somali refugees comments about the Midwest! LOL. Almost all Americans know that the Midwest is known as the most homogenized region among the four and the rubbish immigrants the country gets, the Midwest gets the least of them. No city in the Midwest has ghetto wasteland that houses unskilled immigrants at the scale and proportion of the Northeast and CA. This is so funny!! It's so far removed from reality its simply outlandishly funny!

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-25-2013 at 01:21 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,796 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Weather and crime are probably the main reasons that natives from the Midwest relocate. Lack of jobs and poverty would also cause them to migrate. I do think that the crime rates in Midwest cities are the worst in the country but racism is about the same nationwide. Poverty is not the worse in Midwest cities.
Most thinking people know that crime is associated with poverty.

The Midwest is nowhere "poor" like the South and the funny thing is, in other regions, the crime is as bad and with more dramatic shootouts even in cities that are typically not considered decaying or poor such as LA lol simply because of a disproportional high level of undesirable immigrants and certain domestic demographic groups. Hahaha.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-25-2013 at 01:26 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,242,196 times
Reputation: 910
It's also acceptable to say negative things about CA. If anything, it's promoted in the midwest. Anywhere coastal says something bad about the midwest, now it's the Geneva Convention.

At baseline, there's no point in arguing with anyone from the midwest, they're convinced it's the best place in the world even during their -20 wind chills.

If anything, most midwestern cities would be glad if all those illegal immigrants in CA moved there, then they could brag in a local brochure about their population growing and becoming diversified.
 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,057,613 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
^^^^^

It's not, but it's also Siberia about half the year.

Midwestern transference has definitely gotten to you. It always turns Freudian when someone criticizes even the slightest thing with midwestern cities, or they make an attempt to "flip" whatever was said.

For the record, Minneapolis is one of the few midwestern cities I like. It's also well-known that Minnesota in general has a more insular culture than most places.
Nonsense.

So this city that I live in, that has over a hundred languages spoken in its' public schools, and people from all over the country and the world living in it, is insular? You have constructed a rhetorical version of the Chinese finger trap. You think that Midwestern cities are inherently insular and the people in them prone to take offence when criticized. Then you criticize them and they are offended. Of course they are offended. That is what people do when they are insulted. What you claim as proof is nothing but circular logic. Your critiques are exercises in purposeful obtuseness, and debate with you is both pointless and tiresome.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-25-2013 at 02:36 PM..
 
Old 08-25-2013, 02:35 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,796 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It's also acceptable to say negative things about CA. If anything, it's promoted in the midwest. Anywhere coastal says something bad about the midwest, now it's the Geneva Convention.

At baseline, there's no point in arguing with anyone from the midwest, they're convinced it's the best place in the world even during their -20 wind chills.

If anything, most midwestern cities would be glad if all those illegal immigrants in CA moved there, then they could brag in a local brochure about their population growing and becoming diversified.
I used to live in the Midwest. I don't live there now.

In my experience, there are two groups in the Midwest regarding "saying negative things about the coasts" or not. The first group says you could never pay them enough to move to the coasts, visit yes, live NO. The second group is open about the merits of living anywhere in the country including the coasts, they, like the first group, enjoy going to the different regions for vacations, including the coasts as much as going to Aspen, Colorado or Yellowstone in Wyoming but their preference is to live in the Midwest and just visit other regions. Oh by the way more states than you think are considered coastal, because the coasts do not just consist of water off CA and NY. TX, AL, MS and LA are also coastal, so are South Carolina and other states some people like to call hick.

As for your last statement, definitely no!

People in the Midwest welcome diversity and it most certainly can be proven. Once again, jibber jabber Somali refugees yada yada loses out.(Immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia enjoy the figures, by the way the state with the funny looking 1% at the bottom of the list is a New England state with a coast, and look at the numbers of your favorite states NY and CA..wonder why this is so, perhaps its because so many of their immigrants are the undocumented variety in the sweatshops and GHETTOLAND I was talking about earlier..)

Midwesterners enjoy the presence of immigrants, educators in our universities, oh awesome ethnic restaurants... uhhh but just not the CA illegal ghettoland variety, and they have no qualms saying it. Of course the fact that they don't have this problem helps a lot in being able to say its not something they'll enjoy, not gloating at all.

Immigration by state
Percentage change in Foreign Born Population 1990 to 2000
North Carolina 273.7% South Carolina 132.1% Mississippi 95.8% Wisconsin 59.4% Vermont 32.5%
Georgia 233.4% Minnesota 130.4% Washington 90.7% New Jersey 52.7% Connecticut 32.4%
Nevada 202.0% Idaho 121.7% Texas 90.2% Alaska 49.8% New Hampshire 31.5%
Arkansas 196.3% Kansas 114.4% New Mexico 85.8% Michigan 47.3% Ohio 30.7%
Utah 170.8% Iowa 110.3% Virginia 82.9% Wyoming 46.5% Hawaii 30.4%
Tennessee 169.0% Oregon 108.0% Missouri 80.8% Pennsylvania 37.6% North Dakota 29.0%
Nebraska 164.7% Alabama 101.6% South Dakota 74.6% California 37.2% Rhode Island 25.4%
Colorado 159.7% Delaware 101.6% Maryland 65.3% New York 35.6% West Virginia 23.4%
Arizona 135.9% Oklahoma 101.2% Florida 60.6% Massachusetts 34.7% Montana 19.0%
Kentucky 135.3% Indiana 97.9% Illinois 60.6% Louisiana 32.6% Maine 1.1%

Last edited by sadgirl80; 08-25-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top