U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,673 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Reputation: 51867

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lawrence, KS is super liberal, and it is not in the Bible Belt. Most people there judge on performance and qualifications over sexual orientation.
Isn't Lawrence, Kansas the town that was bombed in the 1983 movie, "The Day After?"

 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I'm well aware that Indiana isn't a Great Plains state, I included Indiana, Downstate Illinois, and Southern Ohio in my list because they are culturally more similar to the Great Plains and the Southern US. Indiana is technically a Great Lakes state but it sure as hell doesn't act like it IMO. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Chicagoland, NW Indiana, and Michigan are about as similar as you can be, but everything south of the Chicagoland area and south of I-80/90 in Indiana is like another universe to me. Much more conservative and rural than what I'm used to.

I disagree about there not being a big difference between the Great Lakes and Great Plains. To me they're like night and day. Milwaukee has had three socialist mayors in its history, I highly doubt that feat would have ever been possible in cities like Indianapolis or Cincinnati. Madison elected Tammy Baldwin, the first member of congress who was openly gay from the outset and wasn't outed or came out after being elected, I don't think that would be possible in college towns like Lawrence or Lincoln.
Night and day to you, perhaps. Here's a newsflash for you: rural Midwesterners, no matter where they are, tend to be conservative. Rural and southern are not mutually exclusive, same for conservative and southern, or big city and crime.

Fort Wayne isn't anywhere near a lake, but it's probably more midwestern than say, the UP of Michigan if judging by raw Midwestern-ness.

I mean, by your logic, Cincinnati may as well be the Deep South because it's conservative and not near a lake.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Indiana more in common with the South? LOL!!!! What are you basing that on exactly? Southern Illinois, Southern Missouri, and Southern Ohio I agree may be Southern influenced, but they are not more similar to the South than the Midwest. At most it's a 50-50 split. Conservative and rural does not equal Great Plains or Southern. There is a huge difference between those two. I-80 and I-90 are not the northern ends of Southern influence, the northern end of that is well to the South. Downstate Illinois is down-to-the-line Midwest outside of Southern Illinois.
Honestly ajf, I don't know why I even bother to try anymore.

It's funny how the people who say these things tend to think the same way and come from virtually the same areas. Perhaps conservative is a euphemism for stupid on these forums? Rural for unsophisticated? But hey--nothing gets the point across better than crude stereotypes!

Quote:
Far Southern Indiana is the only part of Indiana that may be more Southern than Midwestern.
Having lived here for so many years and driven through much of the state, I can honestly no part of Southen Indiana is more Southern than Midwestern. At best it's 50-50. I can say this because I went to school with kids from all over this state, and trust me when I say the Ohio River is still generally an accurate dividing line. Especially in the Evansville area.
 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,573,044 times
Reputation: 8290
Here's what Megan Fox, the co-star of the Transformer movies had to say about Middle America recently when being interviewed by Total Film UK:

"When asked how she would stop the ruthless Megatron from demolishing the world, Fox first said that she would “barter with him.” She then, however, went on to say, “... and instead of the entire planet, can you just take out all of the white trash, hillbilly, anti-gay, super bible-beating people in Middle America?"

Does that qualify as a bum rap?
 
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Isn't Lawrence, Kansas the town that was bombed in the 1983 movie, "The Day After?"
I don't know. I'm not a huge movie watcher
 
Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 AM
 
Location: Cold Frozen North
1,928 posts, read 4,630,657 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Isn't Lawrence, Kansas the town that was bombed in the 1983 movie, "The Day After?"
I believe that it was Kansas City, although they did mention Lawrence once or twice in the movie. Excellent movie BTW; I've watched it numerous times.
 
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,146,935 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lawrence, KS is super liberal, and it is not in the Bible Belt. Most people there judge on performance and qualifications over sexual orientation.
Super liberal... Perhaps by Kansas standards. Actually, Lawrence and a good deal of the State of Kansas are located in the Bible-Belt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Night and day to you, perhaps. Here's a newsflash for you: rural Midwesterners, no matter where they are, tend to be conservative. Rural and southern are not mutually exclusive, same for conservative and southern, or big city and crime.
Now you're the one who's generalizing here. I know plenty of people in small towns all over Wisconsin who aren't the slightest bit conservative. In fact, places like Stevens Point, Superior, and Viroqua are full of super-liberal hippies. All the Scandinavians and Northern Europeans who inhabit the Upper Midwest states are generally very secular and very progressive. Organized labor also has a huge presence in this part of the Midwest and makes for a much less conservative populace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Fort Wayne isn't anywhere near a lake, but it's probably more midwestern than say, the UP of Michigan if judging by raw Midwestern-ness.
Exactly, it's typically Midwestern. Unlike the Great Lakes states that are more Canadian/Northeastern in terms of culture and appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I mean, by your logic, Cincinnati may as well be the Deep South because it's conservative and not near a lake.
It might as well be. Haven't you ever noticed that people in Cincinnati and Indianapolis have southern accents?
 
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,340 posts, read 14,093,273 times
Reputation: 5958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Haven't you ever noticed that people in ... Indianapolis have southern accents?
I have read a LOT of stupid things on this forum, but this post ranks near the top without question.
 
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
 
322 posts, read 704,387 times
Reputation: 171
would argue the bad rap comes from being so isolated in the middle of no where..no ocean...no real mountain ranges...very caucasian-ey....many corn fields(illinois)....bad weather...the overall hokeyness(beer guzzlin, cheese eating broad shouldered "sports fans"),no good driving roads to test out ones 100,000 dollar plus sports cars on the way to the air conditioned garages beneath ones office...ya know
 
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,613,972 times
Reputation: 1913
The Midwest is just the vanilla ice cream of regions with that one tasty looking bit on Lake Michigan. Whereas lots of other regions are vanilla too, but they at least have Neapolitan parts.

And it's not even just an ethnic thing. Hokey is a word that describes it pretty well, IMO. It's hard to put the finger on exactly what it is that makes the region much less remarkable than the others. It's a blend of things.

But if you like that Middle America thing...go head..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top