U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-16-2009, 10:48 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,912,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are Indianapolis, you don't hear words such as "y'all" or "reckon" and you don't hear people saying "l i b m r ducks." I've lived in Kentucky, I've lived along the Indiana/KY border, to think Indianapolis has a southern accent is to expose complete ignorance on the subject you are talking about.
I agree completely. The same thing applies to St. Louis and Kansas City. You don't hear pronunciations like that anywhere near the I-70 corridor. You have to get about 100 miles to the south or more in some cases just to hear terms like "y'all" and "reckon."

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:34 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,609,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree completely. The same thing applies to St. Louis and Kansas City. You don't hear pronunciations like that anywhere near the I-70 corridor. You have to get about 100 miles to the south or more in some cases just to hear terms like "y'all" and "reckon."
An accent refers to how a person says their words, not what specific words they are using. Besides, I've never heard anybody from the South use the word "reckon" in my life. That sounds more like an Old West cowboy-type of expression to me.

Unread 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM

2,420 posts, read 1,714,799 times
What I found interesting about the word reckon is that there are quite a few British people who use that term.

Unread 06-17-2009, 02:20 AM

3,746 posts, read 2,912,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
An accent refers to how a person says their words, not what specific words they are using. Besides, I've never heard anybody from the South use the word "reckon" in my life. That sounds more like an Old West cowboy-type of expression to me.
Regardless of what it is, you have misplaced the Southern accent by about 100 miles too far north. You don't hear anything even close to a Southern accent around Indianapolis. They speak about as standard American English as I've ever heard. It may not be what you are used to hearing being from the Great Lakes region, but Southern accents are in the minority north of the Ohio River and U.S. Highway 50. West of the Ohio River where it hits the Missisippi they are not in the majority above U.S. Highway 60, which roughly runs the on latitude of the Ohio River where it hits the Mississippi. Most Southern dialect maps more or less coincide with this explanation, and traveling this transition zone myself have found it to be quite accurate.

Unread 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM

8,184 posts, read 10,276,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
For the most part, the Midwest does not have the same interesting features as the East of West Coasts.

I realize someone will post some nice pics of the Midwest, but seriously, while it has some beautiful areas; most are going to find their excitement on the East or West Coasts (which will have in the neighborhood of 150 million).
Maybe those that post beautiful pics of the Midwest, understand that
1) beauty is in the eye of the beholder....and
2) there is beauty throughout the entire country.

Unread 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM

12,397 posts, read 12,475,289 times
^ or they have too much pride?
I grew up mostly in FL and first to admit the topography and scenery sucks compared to the ne and west coasts, rockies, etc. I've lived in the midwest too and well, it also sucks in comparison. And yes, the winters are harsher. I always thought these were obvious no brainers and usually reflected in the costs of living...
we are one big world with lots of great parts, some are just better than others, I claim no affiliation to any region, city, etc.

Unread 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,784,653 times
Many people think "Midwest" and the images that come into their minds are the inner/core cities of Detroit, Cleveland, Flint, East St. Louis, the South Side of Chicago, Gary...

Those places that are the poster-child of American decline in industrial production.

If you add up the population of those areas though you get around 2-2.5 million people. Throw in another 1.5-2 million people who live in depressed areas of Youngstown, Rockford or other small areas and you have 4 million people.

The Midwest has always been growing in population from day 1 (it's not DYING for god's sake) and today has around 66.2 million people in the main core area. So if you think about it a VAST majority of people in the Midwest are obviously not living in economically depressed and dying neighborhoods or cities. Most of them live in suburbs just like everyone else in the country.

The other factors are the weather and fact there are no mountains or oceans. I've never really been too concerned about the geography myself. I guess mountains would be pretty to look at, but it's not really going to change my life. I know people who live in California and Colorado, and they go up into the mountains for whatever reason about 3-4 times a year. Ironically that's about how many times I do in Chicago when I take trips out West for little vacations.

The weather sucks in winter, but its certainly survivable. It's not like people just sit along indoors watching the clock for spring. I stay in a little more in winter, but honestly I LOVE that, since I can relax and nest 3-4 nights a week as opposed to summer when I seem to have plans and be out doing things 6 days a week. It's not like people are stuck here, if they hate the weather that much they can and certainly do move away. At the end though a vast majority of people in the Midwest prefer to stay as oppose to leave. If people want to leave no one blames them, we just roll our eyes when people stand on the coasts and made stupid comments that it's just so HORRIBLE here - that everyone is too stupid to leave or wasting their lives.

Unread 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM

2,531 posts, read 2,424,115 times
Quote:
Now you're the one who's generalizing here. I know plenty of people in small towns all over Wisconsin who aren't the slightest bit conservative. In fact, places like Stevens Point, Superior, and Viroqua are full of super-liberal hippies. All the Scandinavians and Northern Europeans who inhabit the Upper Midwest states are generally very secular and very progressive. Organized labor also has a huge presence in this part of the Midwest and makes for a much less conservative populace.
OK. The "generalization train" stops here.

I can't speak for Wisconsin, but rural Michigan is very conservative. You can't just look at the fact that it's a "blue state." Michigan has a lot of medium-sized urban areas that provide a ton of liberal votes. The rural areas are still very conservative, and aren't much different than rural Indiana or whatever. I grew up in rural Michigan. Trust me, there is nothing "progressive" about it. (Thank goodness, because that word actually makes me a little ill.)

The difference between Michigan and Indiana is that Michigan is less rural, not that the rural areas of Michigan aren't conservative. And I'm not sure what Northern European ancestry has to do with anything. The Dutch descendants in western Michigan are some of the most conservative people that you'll find anywhere in the U.S.

Unread 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM

3,674 posts, read 4,407,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Regardless of what it is, you have misplaced the Southern accent by about 100 miles too far north. You don't hear anything even close to a Southern accent around Indianapolis. They speak about as standard American English as I've ever heard. It may not be what you are used to hearing being from the Great Lakes region, but Southern accents are in the minority north of the Ohio River and U.S. Highway 50. West of the Ohio River where it hits the Missisippi they are not in the majority above U.S. Highway 60, which roughly runs the on latitude of the Ohio River where it hits the Mississippi. Most Southern dialect maps more or less coincide with this explanation, and traveling this transition zone myself have found it to be quite accurate.
Huh?

I lived in Indy for a while and in fact I lived with a family from Tennessee. They seemed to speak with a southern accent. In fact I met a lot of people in the region that originally hailed from Kentucky and Tennessee but moved to the area for work. I heard plenty of my co workers speaking in a southern dialect when I was there and also while shopping in stores and going to restaurants.

Certainly Indiana is a Midwestern state but clearly a lot of people from the South have moved into some areas of the state, especially central Indiana and have been there for a generation or longer and in many cases they still speak with their original dialect.

Unread 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM

2,249 posts, read 3,680,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I met a lot of people in the region that originally hailed from Kentucky and Tennessee
See? That's the thing. They aren't from there.

Just out of curiosity, what stores are you shopping at and where are they in the city? I'll have to make a trip down there and see for myself.

Also, I'm originally from the Lansing, MI area, so there's no perceived bias on my part.

On an unrelated note, I have officially reached 1000 posts. Go Colts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.