Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have read a LOT of stupid things on this forum, but this post ranks near the top without question.
Lots of Indianans have Southern accents, the area near Louisville, Kentucky is known as Kentuckiana for Christ's sake. At least 50% of the people I encountered in the Indianapolis area had what I would describe as Southern accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The Midwest is just the vanilla ice cream of regions with that one tasty looking bit on Lake Michigan. Whereas lots of other regions are vanilla too, but they at least have Neapolitan parts.

And it's not even just an ethnic thing. Hokey is a word that describes it pretty well, IMO. It's hard to put the finger on exactly what it is that makes the region much less remarkable than the others. It's a blend of things.

But if you like that Middle America thing...go head..
Historically, the Midwest has been 2nd to the East Coast in terms of national importance. Prior to WWII, the major economic players used to be NYC at the top with cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit right on its heels. The West Coast, Mountain West, and Southern US didn't become extremely desirable until the last 30 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
would argue the bad rap comes from being so isolated in the middle of no where..no ocean...no real mountain ranges...very caucasian-ey....many corn fields(illinois)....bad weather...the overall hokeyness(beer guzzlin, cheese eating broad shouldered "sports fans"),no good driving roads to test out ones 100,000 dollar plus sports cars on the way to the air conditioned garages beneath ones office...ya know
Moderator cut: off-topic FYI, the Rocky Mountain West is far and away the most "caucasian-ey" region in the US. But they have mountains, so I guess it's cool.

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Bo; 06-16-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 03:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Historically, the Midwest has been 2nd to the East Coast in terms of national importance. Prior to WWII, the major economic players used to be NYC at the top with cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit right on its heels. The West Coast, Mountain West, and Southern US didn't become extremely desirable until the last 30 years or so.
I never said it wasn't important. Just for all that historical importance, very few of the Midwest cities have an effective brand.

I mean, how many people can really tell you the difference between Indianapolis, Columbus, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha etc compared to how many people could readily point out what makes LA different from San Francisco and gives each of them their own personality. Or what makes Baltimore different from New York, and so on. Sure Midwesterners can differentiate, but someone outside of the Midwest would be an exception to the rule. Which brings me back to my point that Midwestern cities are very easy to gloss over and bunch together.

Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit are really the only truly name brand cities.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Super liberal... Perhaps by Kansas standards. Actually, Lawrence and a good deal of the State of Kansas are located in the Bible-Belt.
That wikipedia map is quite generic and I don't necessarily agree with NE Kansas. Lawrence did not strike me as being part of the Bible Belt at all. In fact, I think the city has more Catholics, Lutherans, and Presbyterians than Baptists. Lawrence is a typical University town with lower church attendance than a typical small agrarian town.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Lots of Indianans have Southern accents, the area near Louisville, Kentucky is known as Kentuckiana for Christ's sake. At least 50% of the people I encountered in the Indianapolis area had what I would describe as Southern accents.
If you are Indianapolis, you don't hear words such as "y'all" or "reckon" and you don't hear people saying "l i b m r ducks." I've lived in Kentucky, I've lived along the Indiana/KY border, to think Indianapolis has a southern accent is to expose complete ignorance on the subject you are talking about.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I have to agree, people in Indianapolis do speak with a southern accent, not all just a majority.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
For the most part, the Midwest does not have the same interesting features as the East of West Coasts.

I realize someone will post some nice pics of the Midwest, but seriously, while it has some beautiful areas; most are going to find their excitement on the East or West Coasts (which will have in the neighborhood of 150 million).

Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If you are Indianapolis, you don't hear words such as "y'all" or "reckon" and you don't hear people saying "l i b m r ducks." I've lived in Kentucky, I've lived along the Indiana/KY border, to think Indianapolis has a southern accent is to expose complete ignorance on the subject you are talking about.
Seriously, it boggles the mind. Reckon? Reckon? Lmmmfao.

I've never heard David Letterman, Marc Summers, or Kurt Vonnegut say reckon before. Have you?

How these people are arguing with natives who have lived there for years and encountered each other on a daily basis is beyond me.

I think these people are just using the opportunity to belittle the city for various reasons, since anything remotely related to the South is an insult on this forum.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
For the most part, the Midwest does not have the same interesting features as the East of West Coasts.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
I realize someone will post some nice pics of the Midwest, but seriously, while it has some beautiful areas; most are going to find their excitement on the East or West Coasts (which will have in the neighborhood of 150 million).
Perhaps if you combined the populations of both the East and West Coasts you'd come up with 150 million people, but the West Coast by itself is only home to 50-60 million people, and that greatly depends on whether or not states like Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, and Arizona are included. The Midwest, on the other hand, is home to nearly 70 million people.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

I'd argue that both the Great Lakes, the great plains, and the many long rivers are very interesting features. And like the rest of the country, there are places that are very notable, and there are places that are less so. The Midwest is a great region.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
why does the midwest get a bum rap.....Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.