Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by niceguy19125
Take a somewhat non-American view of Michigan and Detroit's location in the state via an actual look on the map. Detroit is on the extreme southeast side of the state. Michigan is a very large state. One can live two hours from Detroit in an area worlds away in terms of environment, similar to any other 120 mile apart comparisons
The Western U.P. is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Detroit, and culturally they're more tied to WI/MN than us in the Lower Penninsula.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Here are some ads that we're running around the country to get people to come here for tourism. I was pleased to see them in North Carolina last week. I wonder if anyone else has seen them.

View Our Ads - Pure Michigan Travel

Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Here are some ads that we're running around the country to get people to come here for tourism. I was pleased to see them in North Carolina last week. I wonder if anyone else has seen them.

They're airing nationwide, and one of the best (if not the best) travel/tourism campaigns ever put together in my opinion. I was planning to move to SW Michigan anyway, but now I'm even more inspired. Great imagery.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Just wait. A think a lot has to do with where people think is the "in" place to be. Once the West and East coasts get so overfilled and over populated that they are unliveable anymore, everyone will be heading YOUR way. Count yourself lucky for now.
Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan are all in the top 10 for most populated states, FYI. There ARE people in the midwest.

And the stereotype that the geographically the region is the same is pretty darn ignorant... Northeast Ohio is pretty cool - having lived on the East and West coast prior to my move to the area
http://www.youtube.com/v/JduQv7xUZFs

Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,631,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I never said it wasn't important. Just for all that historical importance, very few of the Midwest cities have an effective brand.

I mean, how many people can really tell you the difference between Indianapolis, Columbus, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha etc compared to how many people could readily point out what makes LA different from San Francisco and gives each of them their own personality. Or what makes Baltimore different from New York, and so on. Sure Midwesterners can differentiate, but someone outside of the Midwest would be an exception to the rule. Which brings me back to my point that Midwestern cities are very easy to gloss over and bunch together.

Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit are really the only truly name brand cities.
And I ask.. how can you even compare Columbus to the likings of Omaha? If you have visited these areas, they are entirely different.

There is an abundance of ignorance in this thread, it's almost laughable!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
They're airing nationwide, and one of the best (if not the best) travel/tourism campaigns ever put together in my opinion. I was planning to move to SW Michigan anyway, but now I'm even more inspired. Great imagery.
You seen them in Philadelphia? I have seen the Michigan ads also in NY(there are a couple of them) and you are right they are very good! Maybe not the best time to do them in a recession and gas prices going up --- but simply worth the money anyway, if nothing else to counter the Detroit stereotype of Michigan.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WeSoHood
Ohio, Illinois, and Michigan are all in the top 10 for most populated states, FYI. There ARE people in the midwest.

And the stereotype that the geographically the region is the same is pretty darn ignorant... Northeast Ohio is pretty cool - having lived on the East and West coast prior to my move to the area
http://www.youtube.com/v/JduQv7xUZFs
You know, I was driving across eastern Ohio this past saturday and was surprised at how much I liked it. I stopped and saw Marietta, and had a great drive down the National Road (U.S. 40) through Zanesville to Columbus. The rolling hills and farms were very scenic--like something out of a Grandma Moses painting.

Nice video by the way.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Smile The Straits of Mackinac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

I assume Mac you picked your screen name after the MACKINAC area. I desperately want to get up there some day, with the two historic forts, the islands and the entire UP! Its funny but your state reminds me alot of Upstate New York, lots of public land with the lakes, forests, wild streams, and even the dairy farms. Wisconsin does as well.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LINative
You seen them in Philadelphia? I have seen the Michigan ads also in NY(there are a couple of them) and you are right they are very good! Maybe not the best time to do them in a recession and gas prices going up --- but simply worth the money anyway, if nothing else to counter the Detroit stereotype of Michigan.
Exactly! When I go out of state, I'm amazed at how many people think that Michigan is one big Detroit. And even if people don't come this summer, at least we'll have put something in their head that says "hey, Michigan actually looks nice. We should go there someday."

When I was a kid, I saw some tourism commercials for North Carolina and the images of the Outer Banks and Mountains stuck in my mind. I always wanted to go to visit NC after that, and those commercials were over ten years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by LINative
I assume Mac you picked your screen name after the MACKINAC area. I desperately want to get up there some day, with the two historic forts, the islands and the entire UP! Its funny but your state reminds me alot of Upstate New York, lots of public land with the lakes, forests, wild streams, and even the dairy farms. Wisconsin does as well.
Right you are. I'm actually from SW Michigan, but to me the Straits and the Northwest Coast are what make Michigan "Michigan". I'd recommend a drive up the Northwest coast. from Traverse City to the Straits. The coastal towns are amazing and Mackinac island is awesome, especially watching a sunset behind the bridge...The U.P. has a certain wild beauty to it too. So many cedars....

I've only driven through upstate NY once, (NYC to Rochester) but remember it being very pretty. I heard the Adirondacks are pretty amazing too, and hope to get up there someday.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
And I ask.. how can you even compare Columbus to the likings of Omaha? If you have visited these areas, they are entirely different.

There is an abundance of ignorance in this thread, it's almost laughable!
I didn't compare Columbus and Omaha. That you gleaned that from my post illustrates a deficiency of reading comprehension on your part rather than ignorance on mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.