Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Accuracy of Southern Speech Map
Completely Accurate 5 6.49%
90%+ Accurate 33 42.86%
75%-90% Accurate 22 28.57%
Less than 75% Accurate 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Supper is fairly universal for dinner. In fact, it predates the word "dinner" by about 24 years (1275 vs. 1297). However, these days, dinner does tend to be used more often outside of the South, and even in the South it's about 50/50 with dinner. Historically, in the South, Supper was always "dinner" and "dinner" is what most people call "lunch". In today's south, Lunch has eclipsed "dinner", though you'll still hear a fair number of older adults and rural residents refer to Lunch as dinner.
My grandpa and a man I work with still use the dinner for lunch and supper for dinner. I use supper for dinner I guess since I lived in my grandparent's household 'til I was 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Story time.........

When my mother first moved to Kentucky (from Michigan), she invited her two brother in laws (life long Kentuckians) over for dinner on Saturday. They both showed up around noon. My mother was not prepared, in fact, she wondered "why they were 6 hours early" for dinner.

Ahh, the good old days. That was one of the first of many, many "welcome to the south" moments.
LOL Well, at least they showed up!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My grandpa and a man I work with still use the dinner for lunch and supper for dinner. I use supper for dinner I guess since I lived in my grandparent's household 'til I was 14.
I use both Supper and Dinner interchangeably. Growing up, my parents always said "Supper". That was what I always called it. My wife, however, who grew up outside the South says "Dinner", so her, along with popular culture, has rubbed off, I suppose.

By the way, we never called lunch dinner. My dad, however, said that growing up in the 50s, they called lunch dinner.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,569 times
I've always called the evening meal supper and many people in my area call it supper. But there are some who call it dinner. I call the meal at noon lunch but my grandparents call it dinner.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately I guess this is another example of how Southern speech is changing.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
I have NEVER used supper to describe dinner. We just said dinner in our family and in our neighborhoods.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
We just say come eat.....we never use lunch or dinner. We use breakfast though.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We just say come eat.....we never use lunch or dinner. We use breakfast though.
We also say come eat. But around the people we know or if we asking or mom on the phone we ask, what we eating for dinner tonight or what we eating tonight or what are you cooking tonight. Supper never comes out.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,020 times
Take a look here as well:

The atlas of North American English ... - Google Books

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I use both Supper and Dinner interchangeably. Growing up, my parents always said "Supper". That was what I always called it. My wife, however, who grew up outside the South says "Dinner", so her, along with popular culture, has rubbed off, I suppose.

By the way, we never called lunch dinner. My dad, however, said that growing up in the 50s, they called lunch dinner.
Very interesting sub-topic on it all, CF!

I grew up calling the three meals of the day breakfast, dinner, supper. But nowdays, I very often say breakfast, lunch, and supper just because it has grown on me and -- being a teacher -- I find many younger people don't even know exactly what I mean when I say "dinner" at mid-day! LOL

I will still often still use "dinner" for the noonday meal, but at the same time, anymore (*sighs with regret*) I use "lunch" with increasing and disturbing frequency!

I suppose that just as has the mass-media culture and chain fast food diluted the use of regional terms such as "po'boy" (Southern) and hoagie (generally Midwest) and "grinder" (Northeast) into a more widespread national use of "sub"? So has (starting, I think, with the federal school lunch program) "lunch" replaced dinner in popular use in Texas/South, as well as other rural areas where, theretofore, "dinner" was commonly used.

*grins a bit in remembering* A couple of years back, at "lunch time" I told my classroom aide, that I was going to go home and "eat dinner". One of my students asked if I meant "lunch".

I was a bit taken aback as the mistranslation in generations was something I hadn't thought of before. Anyway, when I explained somewhat, the kid told me something like "Dont worry, Mr. ***, my grandmother still calls lunch dinner" Oh man..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.