Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Accuracy of Southern Speech Map
Completely Accurate 5 6.49%
90%+ Accurate 33 42.86%
75%-90% Accurate 22 28.57%
Less than 75% Accurate 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM

925 posts, read 2,598,014 times

Advertisements

Here is the map of Southern Speech that I constructed. It is based on my travels all across the south, as well as my trips to every state within the U.S.

I've seen a lot of maps before, and I've felt that they do not do justice to the realities of the south.

Anyhow, here is the map.

Brownish-Red/Burnt Sienna: Appalachian Twang/Drawl: Strongest identifiable southern speech.

Red: Deep South Drawl: Second strongest most identifiable southern speech.

Orange: Medium Southern Accent: The typical southern accent. Not as strong as the Appalachian Twang or Deep Southern Drawl.

Yellow: Upper South southern accent: A mild southern accent. Typical or the upper regions of the south.

Bright Green: Diluted Regions: Areas where transplants have settled in great numbers, to the point where many people (transplants) do not have an identifiable southern accent, or where native older adults speak with a strong southern accent, whereby the influence of the transplants have weakened the accent of the native younger adult and teen population to a mild southern accent.

Purple: French-Influenced Southern Speech and/or Cajun.

Olive: Southern speech with an interspersed large population of Spanish speakers.

Blue: Western Speech/No Discernible Southern Speech with an interspersed large population of Spanish Speakers.

Light Blue: Population consist primarily of Spanish Speaking residents with a majority who can also speak English. No discernible southern speech outside of a small minority.

Gray: No Discernible Southern Speech.

So tell me, how accurate is it?

Southern Speech Map-southern-speech.jpg

Last edited by City Fanatic; 06-15-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,809,717 times
Interesting map city. Thanks for posting. I think it's pretty accurate myself.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 AM

542 posts, read 1,493,413 times
-There should be a little more yellow in Southern Maryland & the Eastern Shore(Lower Half in particular), and arguably far Western Maryland
-Gray should encompass a little more of Northeast Virginia
-The Cincinnati accent has always reminded me of the Baltimore one, but I can see why you put each respective area in its color scheme

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,611,824 times
I think it is very accurate, I'm impressed.

I would not call it an Appalachian "Drawl/Twang", just a twang.

I like the concept of "Diluted Regions," but I would not consider Greenville or Columbia to be diluted. In NC I would just have the Charlotte CSA and the Raleigh-Durham CSA. The Piedmont Crescent (including the Triad) is not so thoroughly diluted, you still have some strong, twangy, piedmont accents outside the cities. I would add more dilution up and down the SC and NC coasts, but it can shift drastically as you move inland away from the beaches.

If I remember correctly, Florida's orange areas should be red like Georgia and LA.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,297,017 times
90% + accurate in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,155,604 times
90% accurate IMO... How did you come up with the actual borders? Documented data or just gut feeeling based on personal experience?

One thing... It would be a lot better if the legend in the map itself was more legible, so that I don;t have to bounce back and forth between your post and the map.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,357,158 times
The yellow needs to extend much further into Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. The Southern-influenced accent doesn't stop until you are above I-70, in the center of those states.

Also, I've never been to Texas, but I find it hard to imagine that the Southern accent excludes South Texas.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM

542 posts, read 1,493,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I think it is very accurate, I'm impressed.

I would not call it an Appalachian "Drawl/Twang", just a twang.

I like the concept of "Diluted Regions," but I would not consider Greenville or Columbia to be diluted.
Or Memphis. There are some transplants, but not enough to dilute the accent there, or amongst the younger citizens.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM

925 posts, read 2,598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The yellow needs to extend much further into Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. The Southern-influenced accent doesn't stop until you are above I-70, in the center of those states.

Also, I've never been to Texas, but I find it hard to imagine that the Southern accent excludes South Texas.
The reason I placed the accent line where I did in the states of Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio is because:

Illinois: In places such as Mt. Vernon and Carbondale, as various smaller towns, I didn't sense that much of a southern accent. If it was there, it was a faint southern accent. I did, however, notice the accent south of the I-57/I-24 merge. North of that, not so much.

With Missouri, even Kansas (eastern portion), I've heard southern accents farther north, up to around I-70, but they aren't in the majority (say, no more than 20% of the people I spoke with).
Indiana: I did notice the accent a little farter north in this state than Illinois, as shown on the map, but it wasn't that pronounced, if at all, beyond thirty or forty miles north of Louisville.

Ohio: I didn't notice the southern accent in the Cincinnati area, beyond a few individuals on the Ohio side, and a minority population on the Kentucky side. Only in southeastern Ohio did I sense a majority southern speaking population, and that was a very mild southern accent.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,297,017 times
^kazoopilot - That region of South Texas is very Latin dominated. You would hear more Spanglish than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.