U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,293 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old female who is single and trying to decide whether to stay in Birmingham or relocate to Salt Lake City. My sister has a place for me to stay for free in SLC while I look for a place, but the reason I would be going would be to just experience something new. I have a cheap apartment here in Birmingham and would be putting my schooling at UAB on hold to live in another city. I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons, but I fear I might regret not taking on an opportunity to live somewhere new even though I would be putting school on hold and leaving friends and a nice paying job at a local and very popular restaurant. Help me decide!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM

11,873 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinatingsleep View Post
I am a 22 year old female who is single and trying to decide whether to stay in Birmingham or relocate to Salt Lake City. My sister has a place for me to stay for free in SLC while I look for a place, but the reason I would be going would be to just experience something new. I have a cheap apartment here in Birmingham and would be putting my schooling at UAB on hold to live in another city. I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons, but I fear I might regret not taking on an opportunity to live somewhere new even though I would be putting school on hold and leaving friends and a nice paying job at a local and very popular restaurant. Help me decide!!!!
Salt Lake City is stunningly beautiful. Birmingham has some hills, but SLC has mountains. SLC is also a lot cleaner and has a lot less crime. The cost of living, however, is higher, and SLC is also more remote (Birmingham is within driving distance of a lot of other cities whereas SLC isn't). On the other hand, the natural beauty of Utah is hard to beat.

But I don't think anyone can tell you what you should do. If it were me, I'd choose SLC.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Driving distances: Denver 530 miles. Boise 340 miles. Las Vegas 530 miles. Not exact but approximate depending upon the route you take.

I'd say give SLC a shot. Since you have a place to stay and don't need a job from the get go, why not try something different. The unemployment rate in SLC is much lower than Birmingham and you should have a better shot at finding work more quickly along the Wasatch Front.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM

32,341 posts, read 55,131,075 times
I prefer Salt Lake of these 2.

But you are in school and are already settled where you are. Why not finish school and then decide what you want to do. In these bad economic times, Im not sure putting your education on hold is the right thing to do.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM

She didn't mention what she is studying but I imagine she could easily transfer her credits to one of the schools in the area. I do know that BYU, Utah and Utah St. are excellent schools.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 06-17-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM

32,341 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I do know that BYU, Utah and Utah St. are excellent schools.
Indeed they are.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM

925 posts, read 2,290,772 times
I'd stay in Birmingham. It's a much nicer metro area, and a lot of students who "take a break" let it be a forever break, never going back, as relationships and other facets of life tend to be found along the way.

I'd advocate staying in Birimingham and going to UAB.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM

This may help you to make an informed decision.

Where Struggling Americans Can Find a Fresh Start - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM

And here is where the most layoffs are taking place.

America's Pink-Slip Capitals - Yahoo! Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or