U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,504 times

Advertisements

Sure I feel as though I fit in. Then again, it doesn't take as much effort to fit in here as I imagine it would if I lived in rural Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,503,116 times
I currently live in the Mid-Atlantic region, and you would think a person of my personality would fit here, but in all honesty, that's anything but the case. I always felt that with all of the options of places I would fit in much better in a Western Metropolitan Region like Denver, Seattle, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Portland, Minneapolis, or Houston, why in the Hell would God allow me to be born and raised in the DC area?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM

34,689 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
I have lived in Jackson, Mississippi my whole life and have never felt like I shared the same goals, hobbies, and likings as those who live around me.

There is a lot of good in my home state but the bad outweighs the good substantially IMO. People here seem very unmotivated, close-minded, and not very health conscious.

So I guess my question boils down to this...

Do you feel as though the attitudes, lifestyles, and over all demeanor in your home state make you feel like you didn't fit in or belong there??

Any input is appreicated.

Thx.
The whole state or just where you live? I've lived in 3 states and parts of each state are as different as night and day.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,134 times
a true mas$hole

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,448,699 times
Yes. I am very Conservative and NY is horribly Liberal. I also hate crowds and congestion. I need to move out west but my wife doesn't want to go that far. I'm thinking VA as a compromise.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 27,964 times
I am definitely not a good fit for my region. I live in rural Northern Louisiana and I'm fairly liberal, college educated (which isn't all that uncommon here), oh and I'm openly gay also. Twenty years ago I would not have been able to remain here, but now with changing attitudes (even in the South) and all the modern technology we have now, I am ok here. I am sort of torn in between staying where I'm from and moving away. California has always appealed to me. The problem is, however, that in spite of my liberal-ness and other things that make me different from most of my neighbors, I still very much love where I'm from. I love the great sense of place and culture of the South. There are ideas of manners and class that you don't often find in other areas. I even like the summers, lol.

So, I will probably stay here and remain the fish out of water that I am. I wonder if it ever occurs to people who are unhappy with the area they live in that maybe that area needs people like them, and divergent ideas, and that instead of fleeing they should try to stay and make the area a better place?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM

106 posts, read 342,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The whole state or just where you live? I've lived in 3 states and parts of each state are as different as night and day.
Just Jackson. All my family is from the MS gulf coast and its a whole different vibe down there...more laid back and open minded.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,287,057 times
I feel like I don't fit in anywhere.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM

304 posts, read 802,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I feel like I don't fit in anywhere.

I like your attitude! And that's funny.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,440,438 times
Yeah I feel like I fit in my home state. I just feel that I do not fit in the state that I'm living now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or