U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I like your attitude! And that's funny.

I sort of feel like that poster. I don't feel like I fit in with people in general (I'm much different than most people lol), but I do feel like I fit in in NY. Never felt like I fit in anywhere else though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
New York is a very diverse place but I feel like I don't fit in. I'm a laid back calm person and all the people I have come across love to party and live fast paced lives. I'm sick of seeing everybody on the bus drinking coffee (that bothers me for some reason), people rushing past me and bumping in to me. And Manhattan is not the center of my life as it is for a lot of people. This does not represent my state as a whole though.

I belong somewhere relaxing beachside or poolside with Palm trees in the background.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
I don't feel like I fit in in Kentucky. At all. Okay, scratch that...I don't fit in here. And I'm a conservative guy raised in a Southern Baptist church and with a Southern accent.

Areas that appeal to me more:

1. Houston--including Houston proper and Galveston. Like these areas.

2. Fort Worth

3. Austin...although my opinion is beginning to wane on Austin somewhat. I like it, but it might be more like Central Kentucky than I prefer.

4. Southern California...not necessarily Los Angeles, unless I got an incredible job offer. I do like Venice (part of the City of L.A.,) Pasadena and parts of Orange County. Orange County does have a pretentious feel in some of the coastal communities, sure, but I feel like some of the inland cities (i.e.: Anaheim, Tustin, Orange) are/would be more down-to-earth and friendly; I didn't expect much out of Orange County, but now I will return for a visit! San Luis Obispo and Santa Cruz also perk my interest, especially SLO, although they're not as much "SoCal"...not that that's a bad thing.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,192,067 times
No, I don't fit in New Jersey, never did, never will, can't stand the place, and can't wait to leave.

Hate all the arrogant, nasty, always in a rush NYC commuters that populate half the state, people that cut you off and then flip you off while driving, and can't even checkout in a store without their cellphones glued to their heads. It's really a state that caters to a bunch of self-important yuppies who want to live a fast-paced lifestyle.

Horrible people, horrible cities, bland soulless towns, everything revolves around how much money you make, and massive ignorance about the overwhelming corruption. I can't stand it here.

I want a slower paced lifestyle, a more friendly and hospitable community, to be closer to nature, to live in a place where it's alright to fish and hunt, where one can protect themselves without relying on Big Brother, where women aren't all feminist tools who abandon their children to some urban care center, where people have common sense and where the food is good 'ol fashioned American instead of some overpriced tea from Rangoon.

I need to get out of here!!! I was meant to be born in the South.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Perth, Western Australia might be one of the most mind-numbing places you could live. Thousands of miles (literally) from the nearest metropolis, it's a city for those who like to spend all their time on the beach, or bushwalking or water-skiiing (which are all fun, but there's more to life imo) - despite the fact we're still a bunch of lazy slobs.

I wouldn't mind moving almost anywhere, really, after having lived here my whole life. Somewhere on the East coast of Australia would be good or, better yet, the United States. I've always felt I belonged in New England, lol.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,139,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
No, I don't fit in New Jersey, never did, never will, can't stand the place, and can't wait to leave.

Hate all the arrogant, nasty, always in a rush NYC commuters that populate half the state, people that cut you off and then flip you off while driving, and can't even checkout in a store without their cellphones glued to their heads. It's really a state that caters to a bunch of self-important yuppies who want to live a fast-paced lifestyle.

Horrible people, horrible cities, bland soulless towns, everything revolves around how much money you make, and massive ignorance about the overwhelming corruption. I can't stand it here.

I want a slower paced lifestyle, a more friendly and hospitable community, to be closer to nature, to live in a place where it's alright to fish and hunt, where one can protect themselves without relying on Big Brother, where women aren't all feminist tools who abandon their children to some urban care center, where people have common sense and where the food is good 'ol fashioned American instead of some overpriced tea from Rangoon.

I need to get out of here!!! I was meant to be born in the South.
I can safely say amongst someone who grew up in North Jersey, I feel the same sentiment. I got out when I was 18 for CA for college, went back for 3 years in my early 20s and went back to CA. I hated it even in my early 20s, which is funny because a lot of people from my high school stayed in the area.

Currently in Denver now and this place drives me crazy sometimes. Talk about the opposite of NJ - flakey, passive aggressive on the surface and nasty when they get intoxicated. Not a professional city by any means.

Currently re-evaluating going back to CA, for sanity sake alone

Old 07-11-2017, 06:40 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,458,710 times
I've never really fit here in Minnesota. I'm so hoping I'll find my place in either Arizona or Tennessee. I'll be visiting them soon. Fingers crossed.

I actually think I'd fit well in Florida but don't think I could take the heat.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,772,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well, I fit in when I was younger, but, over the past 30 years it's been taken over by ******* Communist freakazoid carpetbaggers, colonists from Communist Red China and illegal aliens, so, now I don't fit in.
Well, I'm Asian American and I never felt I fit in any of the states I've lived in (Missouri, Michigan, Texas, even California.) And ditto to China and the Asian countries.

Honestly, I fit in more with "Millennials" around the world than people of any state or nationality.

Last edited by ragnarkar; 07-13-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM

17,683 posts, read 4,073,386 times
I live in Texas and I feel like i fit in here.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:46 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,984,533 times
I was an Asian guy growing up in south Texas......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or