U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 02:01 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,429,467 times

Advertisements

My home state? No, I'm originally from Ohio and I have a strong affinity for that state and feel like I fit in just fine whenever I'm there. I have lived in Michigan for the past twenty years and feel equally at home in either state.

I am one of those people who thrives when surrounded by other people who live where they grew up and whom I can identify with immediately regarding things like weather, regional sports teams, favorite regional vacation spots, and just life experiences in general. I would feel out of place if I moved somewhere where everyone is from somewhere else. Actually, I think I would really hate that.

Last edited by canudigit; 07-13-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:07 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times
Born in Manhattan, raised my whole life in New Jersey.

The last place I lived in New Jersey was a soulless exurb of New York in Central Jersey. A place where trees and beautiful forests were and continue to be torn down for bland strip malls and Mcmansions. No walkable downtown or main street, absolutely no sense of community and absolutely no reason to live there except to send your kids to the public schools and have a hellish hour forty five minute to two hour commute to New York each way.

The only truly nice urban areas in New Jersey are waterfront Jersey City and Hoboken, both of which are very expensive and very crowded. The rest of our cities are slums. New Jersey has plenty of beautiful suburban areas but as a 23 year old I have little interest in living in the burbs.

I do miss Island Beach State Park but that's about it.

Columbus is a much better fit for me and it's been home since I moved here five years ago.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:27 PM

8,819 posts, read 4,728,865 times
I don't. I feel I am someone who likes to work and play. Feel as if people hibernate during the summer or go to clubs. Winter is gray, wet, dreary, and depressing. Seems when most people are out and about is winter. Love to be active, but little options to be active. Can drive to hiking areas. Rather be near trails where you can disappear into the wild without going far. Have access to greenways and bike paths that can easily get you from point a to point b 20 or so miles away. Easy access to public transport rails and busses. Be near the ocean. Have warm weather where you can be active 24/7. Place where people smile, ask you how you doing, and hold the doors open. Don't mind a fast paced place. Also political views more Libertarian and probably a little Moderate Conservative that is hard to find now a days.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've never really fit here in Minnesota. I'm so hoping I'll find my place in either Arizona or Tennessee. I'll be visiting them soon. Fingers crossed.

I actually think I'd fit well in Florida but don't think I could take the heat.

But you're going to Arizona?? Ironically I'm from Florida but moving to Minnesota. I don't fit in South Florida at all! I totally fit in Minnesota. I love it there. But in terms of heat, I'd pick Florida over Arizona. Phoenix heat is something else, and even in the milder mountain places I can't do. My sinuses get irritated in dry warm weather. I need some humidity lol.

I do love Tennessee though, its a beautiful state. Mountains in the east, hills in the middle.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My home state? No, I'm originally from Ohio and I have a strong affinity for that state and feel like I fit in just fine whenever I'm there. I have lived in Michigan for the past twenty years and feel equally at home in either state.

I am one of those people who thrives when surrounded by other people who live where they grew up and whom I can identify with immediately regarding things like weather, regional sports teams, favorite regional vacation spots, and just life experiences in general. I would feel out of place if I moved somewhere where everyone is from somewhere else. Actually, I think I would really hate that.

I agree with you 100%. I'm a transplant who grew up in a transplant state lol but even my hometown Miami, is more of an "immigrant city" than a "transplant city." There's still lots of people born or at least raised in Miami to give Miami a strong local culture and identity. Even though I hate Miami, it has a more native born and local identity than somewhere like Boca.

But I love being being in places where most people are natives. Obviously as a transplant myself I don't hold anything against other transplants, but too many transplants mean loss of culture and more blandness. If everywhere is from somewhere else, it loses the local flavour and becomes sterile. Why would I wanna move to Texas to be only surrounded by people from California, New York, Michigan, Florida and Georgia? I wouldn't be getting a proper Texas experience.

Likewise why would I wanna move to Minnesota and have no actual Minnesotans in the area? I love living around natives because then you get a taste of the culture, and you appreciate the cultural quirks like "pop" instead of "coke" or the love of local foods I never heard of or preferring Target over Wal-Mart or Whataburger over McDonald's. Little things you don't get in places where everyone is from somewhere else. Plus, then there's no attachment to the place either. People are less likely to care for it. If the place is deteriorating its seen by natives as a great loss from the past, where as to recent transplants its just a dump they can easily move from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or