U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,728,537 times

Advertisements

The gators have finally organized and are striking back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,061,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Steve Irwin inspired I'm sure...
I remember watching a show on Animal Planet or Disc. and he was in FLA and just snorkeling and diving with alligators in some pond. I was surprised the water was so clear but he even pulled one up that has a damaged front leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Gator population has skyrocketed in FL since gator hunting is way down in FL. Some genius declared gators an "endangered species" a while back and the massive hunting ended, and even today FL gator hunting is heavily restricted. Yet I remember a study that said that there was one gator for every 18 people in Florida.

gator hunters go to LA now because of less restrictions and regulations and the lower cost of a permit. A gator hunting permit in FL costs over $1,000 for an out of state resident and I believe the limit is 2 gators.

World Environment News - Florida Alligator Comeback May Ease Hunting Rules - Planet Ark
I think this is the number one reason. the bigger alligators are always the ones that do the attacking, counting up this decade for gators where size was given in the link the avg. gator involved in fatal attacks is almost 10 feet long.

I believe they used to automatically cull them when they were 6 feet or more for a while in FLA, on Sanibel Island they didn't do that and there was an outbreak of attacks there.

the best thing they could do is manage the bigger ones, I heard of a jogger being taken 15 feet off a path. That's an aggresive gator that comes that far out to take somebody, and a big one for sure.

I understand swimmers and people being attacked at the waters edge but more and more people are being attacked when they are far from the water. A sure sign that bigger alligators are out there.

if you read the circumstances that people are attacked it's amazing that anybody would swim in any body of water in florida. They are potentially anywhere , in any body of water.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,233,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I bet a similar study of fatal maulings by mountain lions and bears, here out West, would yield similar results. There has been a population boom of predators.
If by "Predators" you mean, "Urban human beings," I agree that there's been a population boom in these areas of relative wilderness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
First of all, the whole premise sounds a little questionable to me, since it's usually Crocodiles that KILL people when they attack, and very rarely alligators.
Gators you find in the swamp are terrified of people. They just float and stare, or chill out in the sun. The only gator attack I remember where I grew up, was some guy went noodling for catfish in the wrong place, and stuck his arm in a gator's mouth.

If you go develop a golf course or a housing development in their habitat, though, then sooner or later some fool is going to feed them, or harass them, or generally give them a reason to interact with people.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
Look at it this way:

Florida population grew by 270% since 1970....

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
I've heard that Super WalMarts are very easy places to defend against gator attacks.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,995,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

If you go develop a golf course or a housing development in their habitat, though, then sooner or later some fool is going to feed them, or harass them, or generally give them a reason to interact with people.
That is probably the #1 reason attacks are on the rise. People generally swim in lakes and rivers infested with gators all the time and nothing happens. But once you feed one, they lose their fear and people get attacked.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,969,544 times
I still don't know why someone would want to be that close to a wild alligator or swim in Florida lakes.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,995,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I still don't know why someone would want to be that close to a wild alligator or swim in Florida lakes.
Its worth it. Florida is hot and the chances of getting attacked are low. Just don't swim at night, or during mating season. Having a lot of people and/or watercraft around helps to.

I love to see the reaction of tourists when they see Floridians swimming in a lake or river. They always have the same question. "Are there alligators in there? People are afraid of what they don't understand.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,674,512 times
I think the number went up 200% for this decade because a higher rate of people were killed by alligators in this decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.