Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Why do London's eastenders say, "Just 'ad me a gold watch and went down the apples and pairs to find the loo but I slipped and ended up on me Khyber Pass!" ????

This thread is lame.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hmmm ... I think I'll start a new thread. I'll call it:

"Darn it, it's a TRUNK, not a BOOT, for crying out loud!"

Or maybe:

"Why can't you Limeys call it a shopping cart instead of a trolley?"
Or, why can't they call it a line instead of a queue? To me, city fanatic, the word queue just doesn't look right. I think queue must be a commie... no wait, a hippie... no wait, a terrorist. Either way, no matter what it must be, it doesn't sit right with my refined insular sensibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why do London's eastenders say, "Just 'ad me a gold watch and went down the apples and pairs to find the loo but I slipped and ended up on me Khyber Pass!" ????

This thread is lame.

ABQConvict
And at one time, that would have meant only that this thread can't walk. Since it really can't move at all, I suppose it is lame (but that's besides the point - holidays are only for worshipping gawd!)

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Doesn't everybody know that the English English is the right one? American English is a derivative but not near as nice or pretty.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,755,968 times
I would like to point out that City Fanatic started this discussion by talking down and being rude to an Englishman who posted how much he enjoyed his trip to the US and how nice everyone was to him. City Fanatic, you have inspired me to start using the word holiday the same way the Brits do.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:52 PM

116 posts, read 157,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Doesn't everybody know that the English English is the right one? American English is a derivative but not near as nice or pretty.
Tbh, in some cases American English is better than British English, in my opinion, as words are more phonetic. Like centre is center, it just looks better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I would like to point out that City Fanatic started this discussion by talking down and being rude to an Englishman who posted how much he enjoyed his trip to the US and how nice everyone was to him. City Fanatic, you have inspired me to start using the word holiday the same way the Brits do.
I'm Irish, but I do appreicate the sentiment

Different words are used in different regions, its no big deal, we should respect each others customs

Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 AM

294 posts, read 698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am going to take a guess on this. Historically the British were the first to go through the industrial revolution. The working people, formerly from rural areas and small towns crowded into cities under horrible conditions and literally worked their life away 24/7. This was before the safety net, unions and things we take for granted like a 40 work week --- so for some working class people the only time they ever had off was a half day on Sunday and on HOLIDAYS. So people started thinking of Holidays the way we think of mini vacations here in North America.
You are 100% correct.

My town Bolton in Northern England was just like that. the cotton mill industry was once huge in this town and the working hours were anything up to 16 hours a day,the working conditions also bad.
During the summer the mills would shut down for 2 week for repair to machinery etc,etc.

These 2 weeks, last week of June and first week of July became to be known as the Bolton holidays .

Under textile manufacture.

Bolton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
There is more than one English English. Some are nice, some are not (West Midlands, Brummie, Scouse, anyone?)

There is more than one American English, too. Some are nice, some are not.

I agree that the de-frencification of English spelling in America is a good thing. (centre>center, programme>program, etc).

ABQConvict

Old 06-20-2009, 01:46 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Why does City Fanatic call himself that? he must not be american because "fanatic" actually originally meant an insane person......

oh, wait, that's perfect.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
It's funny because I'm an American from the West Coast I've used the phrase "on a holiday" fairly often--and until this thread I've never thought twice about it. I must have picked it up from living in Canada for four years or from all the friendly British travelers I’ve met over the years. And also the use of swear words like "arse" and "boll-ocks" sounds so much better than our American equivalents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.