U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM

925 posts, read 2,292,763 times

Advertisements

You go on "holiday"?

You can take a trip on a holiday (holy day).

You don't go on a holiday. (A holiday is not a vacation, nor is it some type of motorized craft.

Last edited by Bo; 06-17-2009 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Posts 1-13 were moved from the General US thread "Thoughts about America/Americans after my visit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
You go on "holiday"?

You don't go on a holiday. (A holiday is not a vacation, nor is it some type of motorized craft.
Psssst, CF, Moderator cut: off topic
A holiday most certainly IS a vacation: WordNet Search - 3.0
holiday - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Holiday - definition of Holiday by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

It is also motorized crafts: Motorhome: Holiday Rambler: A Premier RV Manufacturer
Boat:1982 Holiday 39 Mansion Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Aircraft: Photos: Starck AS-80 Holiday Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

It is also used in place names: Welcome to Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana!
Holiday Valley | Ski Snowboard Golf Resort & Conference Center in WNY
Whitewater River Rafting in Colorado, Utah and Idaho - Holiday Expeditions

Last edited by Bo; 06-17-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,129 times
Quote:
You go on "holiday"?

Holiday is the British/Irish/General European English word for vacation or time off.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 AM

Ignorance has nothing to do with it.

Holiday means "HOLY DAY". It is a special day, nothing more.

A vacation and a special day are two different things, regardless if one has been used inappropriately for many, many years.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Quote:

A vacation and a special day are two different things, regardless if one has been used inappropriately for many, many years.
Oh spare, me, so if one doesn't speak American English, he or she is speaking incorrectly? The entire field of linguistics laughs in your general direction.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh spare, me, so if one doesn't speak American English, he or she is speaking incorrectly? The entire field of linguistics laughs in your general direction.
Am I incorrect in saying that holiday mean "Holy Day"?

Can you go on a holy day, any more than you can go on a Monday?

You can go on a trip on a Monday or a Holy Day, but there isn't anything tangible in saying you're going on a Holy Day? It's like saying, I'm going on Christmas or Easter. The "on" part is relating to something you're doing on the day, not the day itself.

By the way, if you want to speak incorrectly, and support fallacious speech arguments, then go right ahead.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Quote:
Am I incorrect in saying that holiday mean "Holy Day"?

Can you go on a holy day, any more than you can go on a Monday?

You can go on a trip on a Monday or a Holy Day, but there isn't anything tangible in saying you're going on a Holy Day? It's like saying, I'm going on Christmas or Easter. The "on" part is relating to something you're doing on the day, not the day itself.

By the way, if you want to speak incorrectly, and support fallacious speech arguments, then go right ahead.
No, you are incorrect for refusing to acknowledge that the meanings of words change over time, and in fact change depending on regional/cultural areas said language is spoken.

The etymology of 'holiday' is that it originally meant holy day (a day set aside to acknowledge something of religious significance), but the reality is that the word has taken on new meanings over time (and can mean different things depending on where it is spoken) and the new meaning is just as legitimate as the original meaning.

Hell, even here in the US days we call 'holidays' aren't even slightly 'holy' or religious in nature.

What is next for your disdain, are you going to start ragging on those who use the word 'boot' to mean the 'trunk of a car' because clearly that word is in reference to something one wears on his or her foot, and any other use or meaning is clearly inappropriate.

Good lord.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,680,252 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure if you scanned all the words Americans use, there would be some inconsistancies as well. How about a flashlight? Does the light actually flash? No, not unless you flick it on and off quickly, which would defeat the purpose of it. It's a steady light, not a flash light.

The meanings of words change over time in every country/language. I can get on board with a little playful banter about which country uses the "right" word (my husband and I do this all the time) but you sound strangely serious about this. It comes across as very petty and intolerant.

Fact is, the entire nation over here calls it a "holiday" and you griping about it isn't going to change it. Get over it, it's just a word!

To the OP: I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the States. I do think you haven't really got a good picture of America outside the major tourist area - you may have gone to surrounding areas but just like any major tourist place, the surrounding areas do also get tourists too. But all the same, it's always refreshing to hear someone talk positivity about America because there IS a lot of good things about it and great places to visit or live.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,217,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm pretty sure if you scanned all the words Americans use, there would be some inconsistancies as well. How about a flashlight? Does the light actually flash? No, not unless you flick it on and off quickly, which would defeat the purpose of it. It's a steady light, not a flash light.

The meanings of words change over time in every country/language. I can get on board with a little playful banter about which country uses the "right" word (my husband and I do this all the time) but you sound strangely serious about this. It comes across as very petty and intolerant.

Fact is, the entire nation over here calls it a "holiday" and you griping about it isn't going to change it. Get over it, it's just a word!

To the OP: I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the States. I do think you haven't really got a good picture of America outside the major tourist area - you may have gone to surrounding areas but just like any major tourist place, the surrounding areas do also get tourists too. But all the same, it's always refreshing to hear someone talk positivity about America because there IS a lot of good things about it and great places to visit or live.
The term flashlight was derived from an 18th century Halloween tradition. Young folks would go door to door, in protest of "trick or treat", and flash their private parts to the homeowners.

However, their amusement was very limited as the home owners had a very hard time seeing their genitals due in part to poor lighting conditions.

This is how Joshua Cowens flashlight invention, which was originally designed for lighting fixtures for potted plants, was able to finally be commercially manufactured.

Hence the term, "Flash Light".

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or