U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,097 posts, read 5,878,824 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of Amish in Ohio. Although, I never actually see them unless I am going to an Amish town or Cedar Point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM

83 posts, read 253,115 times
My buddy lives next to an Amish family. They're interesting folk to say the least. They go about their business and are constantly doing work around the house. Many poach local game like deer and turkey (but I think they're aloud to), do a lot of trapping, fishing, and tend to be quiet and reserved when we come aross them in town or the woods. However, the younger Amish do socialize at the local bars on weekends. I know I would never want to get in a scuffle with one of them though.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:24 PM

4,249 posts, read 9,733,873 times
If you go to page 2-6 of this document http://www.co.mifflin.pa.us/mifflin/lib/mifflin/planning_/mifflin_county_comprehensive_plan.pdf (broken link) there is a very interesting map of which Plain Sect had which farm (in 1999) in the concentrated section of that PA county.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,452,776 times
Thanks for the replies, all were interesting (some laughable, or at least one) and helpful.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 AM

10 posts, read 17,286 times
Hmm...I've always wondered about the Amish people, getting to know them or at least a once-amish person. =]. If your Amish, be my friend =D.

I am American Indian myself, from Arizona...I am of the Tohono O'odham tribe. Our reservation is on the border of Mexico (some of my people are stuck on that side) and we are the second largest of all Indigenous tribes. I live in a H.U.D. home with my family, which many families do. My ancestors used to live in mud houses but there aren't too many around anymore...they've simply washed away. It's rare to see them. We still live in villages though...our "city" is Sells. Although our landscape is hot and dry most of the time, our rainy season is a sight to see...=].

Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,220,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Technically speaking, any native born American is a "Native American". The American Indian has been called a "native American" as if that distinguished them from the descendants of immigrants.
wow. seriously?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,452,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_savage_never_was View Post
Hmm...I've always wondered about the Amish people, getting to know them or at least a once-amish person. =]. If your Amish, be my friend =D.

I am American Indian myself, from Arizona...I am of the Tohono O'odham tribe. Our reservation is on the border of Mexico (some of my people are stuck on that side) and we are the second largest of all Indigenous tribes. I live in a H.U.D. home with my family, which many families do. My ancestors used to live in mud houses but there aren't too many around anymore...they've simply washed away. It's rare to see them. We still live in villages though...our "city" is Sells. Although our landscape is hot and dry most of the time, our rainy season is a sight to see...=].
Really, I wouldn't assume your able to access the internet.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,001,491 times
On another forum I visit there was a man so poor he ate animals and plants he found in his backyard. I believe there are homeless people online as there are libraries they go to.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Thanks for replies, looking forward to reading more

I'm surprised by the amish map given above:Amish

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...ages/amish.gif

I actually thought there would be a large reporting of the Amish population in Colorado, according to the map there is none at all.
Just curious, why do you think there would be a lot of Amish in Colorado? CO is not a farm state; it's more a ranching state. The "carrying capacity" of the arid land does not allow for a lot of this "off the grid" living that the Amish do. There is a thread on the CO forum about Amish moving to CO, but it hasn't happened in any appreciable numbers, and the living isn't going to be as easy as in the NE and midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It was an interesting map, I'd never seen it before. I'd always heard of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania as the Amish hub but I guess not. Using the map, and other resources, Holmes County, Ohio is the most Amish county. Followed by those two counties in Indiana. (Lagrange County, Indiana and I forget the other)

However the map seems to be about "Old Order Amish." I don't know if the more liberal "Beechy Amish" have the same distribution or a slightly different one. Also some people mix up the Amish with the Mennonites and the Hutterites. Mennonites are fairly common in Kansas and might be in Colorado too. They don't reject technology so much, but many of them do value plain-dress and they are pacifist Christians. In the US Hutterite colonies, from what I can tell, are most numerous in South Dakota and Montana. Although some are also in North Dakota, Washington, Minnesota, and one colony in Oregon. Of those the Dakotas and Oregon don't seem to have any Old Order Amish. Hutterites live in communal colonies of about 200. They dress more colorfully than the Amish, and allow a bit more technology than them, but I think are generally stricter than today's Mennonites. Unlike the Amish the Hutterites I'm pretty sure don't practice shunning as I believe there are ex-Hutterites who still chat with people in the colonies.
Here is a Mennoonite map. It is from 2000, so the data might be a little different now. Again, I don't know why anyone would think there would be a preponderance of Mennonites in CO.
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../mennonite.gif

Here is an Amish distribution map by the above source.
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...gion/amish.gif

Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,001,491 times
I just meant maybe he or she was thinking of Mennonites as Colorado does seem to have some. By the looks of it more than Wyoming and Utah anyway. I'm a bit surprised Alabama has as many Mennonites as they seem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.