U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times

Advertisements

I overlooked a section that directly relates to migration.

Amish Studies

In terms of migration the top states for 2002-2007 were

1. New York
2. Kentucky
3. Iowa
4. Kansas
5. Minnesota
6. Virginia
7. Colorado
8. Wisconsin

So Colorado really is one of the states where Amish are migrating, but it's just not the top or anything. New York, Kentucky, and Iowa seem to be a great deal more significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Here is some gardening information regarding Westcliffe, CO, where the Amish are reportedly moving.

High Altitude Gardening, Westcliffe Colorado, CO, Wet Mountain Valley (http://www.coloradohomesandranches.com/gardening.shtml - broken link)

Note, 100 day growing season.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I overlooked a section that directly relates to migration.

Amish Studies

In terms of migration the top states for 2002-2007 were

1. New York
2. Kentucky
3. Iowa
4. Kansas
5. Minnesota
6. Virginia
7. Colorado
8. Wisconsin

So Colorado really is one of the states where Amish are migrating, but it's just not the top or anything. New York, Kentucky, and Iowa seem to be a great deal more significant.
Not surprise to see Iowa in top 3.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
[url]

You are growing enough for 4 people for 1/2 year. Do you mean all your vegetables, or what? I find it hard to believe you can grow your entire food supply for a family of 4 for 1/2 yr. on 1/16th of an acre.

Also, I don't understand your snide comment about my assuming they are stupid "or something".
Yes, I was referring to vegetables (and eggs). And that is using about 3/4 of the available space in my yard including part of the front yard.

My (quite recent) ancestors were farmers in Norway. If they could support themselves off the land there I'm sure the Amish can make it in Colorado.

The Amish are not prohibited from buying food. Many Amish back east actually have jobs which pay money that can be converted into other goods and consumables.

As far as the 'snide' remark, I apologize if it came off rude. Where I am from, a lot of people honestly believe that the Amish are indeed stupid.

ABQConvict

Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania near an Amish settlement. They like to grow their own food. They also have huge families. It's hard to "subsistence farm" in CO. There's a lot that won't grow here. Since they only go to school through grade 8, and they are very insular, I'd bet they don't know a lot about farming/ranching in CO.
Insular? Not really.

I have had a lot of contact with Amish craftsmen over the years as I like to purchase custom made furniture that lasts.

Also, our family farm sells a lot of our cattle at the various Amish auctions in Kidron and New Hope, OH.

Once people get to know you through business or other contacts the folks are pretty friendly. That is not unlike a lot of farm people.

I have little doubt that most Amish and Mennonite folks will be able to succeed. They work hard, have little debt, and are astute business people.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,448,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Thanks for replies, looking forward to reading more

I'm surprised by the amish map given above:Amish

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/p...ages/amish.gif

I actually thought there would be a large reporting of the Amish population in Colorado, according to the map there is none at all.
Colorado is a pretty harsh enviroment for them to live the life style they do.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Then the question begs, how did the original Anglo population of Colorado survive? Were they all gold prospectors to a one? Is there no other agricultural / non-mechanized industry in the state? Was Colorado devoid of human habitation until central heating and McDonald's were invented?

According to The University of Colorado's agriculture page, current agricultural products produced in Colorado are cattle, wheat, dairy products, corn, and hay. Which of these do you think Amish are incapable of producing? Furthermore, do you think that Agriculture is the sole economic provice of the Amish?

I find myself becoming passionate in the defense of Amish adaptability.

ABQConvict

Last edited by ABQConvict; 07-02-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
There is a large community just south of Winnepeg, Manitoba. I cannot think that the climate there is any rougher than Colorado.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
There are Amish communities in Central Ontario and south of Winnepeg, Manitoba, climates that are as tough as Colorado. And throw in the upper portion of New York.

What aspect of their lifestyle would be hindered by harsh climates.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,448,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Then the question begs, how did the original Anglo population of Colorado survive? Were they all gold prospectors to a one? Is there no other agricultural / non-mechanized industry in the state? Was Colorado devoid of human habitation until central heating and McDonald's were invented?

According to The University of Colorado's agriculture page, current agricultural products produced in Colorado are cattle, wheat, dairy products, corn, and hay. Which of these do you think Amish are incapable of producing? Furthermore, do you think that Agriculture is the sole economic provice of the Amish?

I find myself becoming passionate in the defense of Amish adaptability.

ABQConvict
I never said it could be done, but it is a HARDER life than living in an area that is more suitable for crop growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.