U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Location: Hudson Florida
22 posts, read 86,218 times
Reputation: 19


I live in a rural area of Florida which while my daughter was in school had some great teachers and she went through the school system and graduated at her own level. She then went on to learn life skills and learning to be (somewhat) independent and even "works" in a local supermarket, bagging, stocking etc.

Now that her school life is coming to an end I am finding a serious lack of facilities where she can be a useful member of society. I am seriously thinking about moving so that she can have somewhere that she can go each day so that she is not stuck in her room for the rest of her life.

Summer vacations are long and boring for her and even though I am self employed I do not have a lot of time to spare to be with her.

I am reaching out to anyone here on the forum that has experience with a similar situation, can recommended a town, city or area that has good facilities that don't have too long waiting lists....or an other advice or suggestions, would be very welcome....

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Reputation: 1661
UCP is nationwide. Sunrise Community also has facilities throughout Florida. There are a few others, but I am sorry I don't remember their names. Generally, speaking there are far more on the east coast than the west, and in the bigger cities. Try doing a google search for developmental disability facilities in Florida. I used to work in Day Hab. Your daughter could go to Day Hab during the day. If she is high functioning, they could probably arrange for her to work part time. They will provide bus services to and from her home to the Day Hab facility and also back and forth to her job if she is eligible for that.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Location: Chicago
14 posts, read 33,717 times
Reputation: 18
Check out Misericordia in Chicago. It's a residential facility (like a big college campus) for children and adults with developmental disabilities. Misericordia has a number of work opportunity programs for adults including a garden, a bakery, and a restaurant. They have a long waiting list for folks to move in but I know they have day workers who live outside of Misericordia. Here's their website: www.misericordia.com
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM
5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Reputation: 2460
Avoid Kansas City like the plague. These people will probably pick on her. When I worked at a Pizza Hut in a decent suburb in the mid 1990's I noted that full grown adults would pick on a retarded guy that was working in the place for a few hours a week. Apparently Pizza Hut had some kind of arrangement to have people with disabilities working in some of their stores. And I also saw the same thing at another store that I worked at. They had a mildly retarded guy working there part time and the store owner would actually pick on the kid in front of the store help and customers.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Location: Tampa
1,236 posts, read 4,049,172 times
Reputation: 944
I live in Tampa. I know there are places (social venue) for people like your daughter. I am sorry that I don't know the names of these clubs or places. I had a friend (no longer friends with her), but her brother-in-law was schizophrenic. He was picked up every day and brought to this social place where they did all kinds of things. He really enjoyed going every day.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM
5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Reputation: 3482
MN has many organizations, facilities and services that help people with developmental disabilities find useful employment. Lots of local employers are on board. Contact the PACER Center in the Twin Cities, Arc/MN, the Institute for Community Integration at the University of MN and the Governor's Council on Develomental Disabilities for futher info. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Location: DFW
56 posts, read 130,621 times
Reputation: 26
I would recommend that you first consider some places that you would want to live. Then call the ARC in those state(s) and see if you can find someone who will be honest with you about recommending communities that are welcoming.
I would also ask them about about potential employers in the area that work with agencies to provide supervised employment. Or would you consider a job shelter type of situation for her? Also, having an agency that would work with you and her to help her be transported to the facility. There should hopefully be a disability newsletter in the state that you choose (We get one for our area) that should provide the latest news about such activities. Here in CA, we have the regional center system, though that picture is VERY gloomy at present, with all of the proposed cuts.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
Reputation: 1701
This is a non-profit organization in my community that works with developmentally disabled adults to teach them job skills and provides supervised work in the community as well as community/recreational activities. It's a great organization, and I imagine there MUST be a similar organization in your area or region.
SPARC Enterprises Home Page

Best wishes and good luck.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
1 posts, read 5,089 times
Reputation: 10
Your posting could have been written by me. We were in the almost identical situation in Martin County, Florida. We moved out here to a rural area in Washington, where the services are OK. A lot quicker than Florida, but not fabulous. We're thinking of moving back to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia again because of my husband's job opportunities, but I don't know how the services are there for adults. We lived there before when our daughter was still in school and not an adult. I'd love to email you so we can compare notes.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
1 posts, read 4,047 times
Reputation: 10
Hello, there are alot of places in the Texas area I know that that seems so far away but we have group homes that have openings and no waiting list. The group home that I am the house manager at currently has one opening and will have 3 more openings come September 1st, 2010 so we are out here. Moderator cut: contact information

Last edited by Bo; 08-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Members can send you a Direct Message if they want your contact info. Posting it = advertising, which is not OK here.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top