U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times

Advertisements

Just curious, what if you have kin who wasn't born and raised in the South, yet you weren't raised by them? Like someone who never knew their Dad or something like that? (Sounds like Jerry Springer, doesn't it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,235,670 times
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Just curious, what if you have kin who wasn't born and raised in the South, yet you weren't raised by them? Like someone who never knew their Dad or something like that? (Sounds like Jerry Springer, doesn't it?)

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,235,670 times
Rubber-factory wrote:

"A southerner is someone whose entire family has been born in the south for at least 200 years.

If your great, great, great, great great, great grandmother was born in Pennsylvania 150 years ago... sorry.. you're a yankee
."

You didn't say the PERSON had to be born in the South -- so the previous post-er's husband wasn't born in the south BUT his "entire family has been born in the south for at least 200 years."

So it's totally logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'm not sure how that's logically consistent, if he was born in Toledo.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,050,459 times
A Southerner is someone that chooses to live in the South and likes the South. If you're raised in the North but move to the South as soon as you can, you're more of a Southerner than someone that was born in the South but hates it. Home is where the heart is and people can't control where they're born (and they certainly can't control where their ancestors were born).

Old 06-19-2009, 08:22 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well now, there is an alternate method. We don't want to be close-minded or provincial here.

You find the closest east-west interstate (number ending with 0) to the north of your birthplace.. everybody who lives north of that isn't a southerner.
There is no east-west interstate ending with 0 north of my birthplace

so I guess we're all southerners!!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Rubber-factory wrote:

"A southerner is someone whose entire family has been born in the south for at least 200 years.

If your great, great, great, great great, great grandmother was born in Pennsylvania 150 years ago... sorry.. you're a yankee ."

You didn't say the PERSON had to be born in the South -- so the previous post-er's husband wasn't born in the south BUT his "entire family has been born in the south for at least 200 years."

So it's totally logical.
Ah.. well.. a person is a member of their own family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
There is no east-west interstate ending with 0 north of my birthplace

so I guess we're all southerners!!
You see..

It would not follow that people south of said line "were southerners", only that people living north of said line "are not southerners."

Absence of a line indicates an absence of applicability to this rule.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

23,077 posts, read 35,035,900 times
It depends on where you were raised, I think.
My cousin was born and raised in Atlanta.
Her husband was born and raised in Winston-Salem, NC.
They are Southerners.
Their daughters were born and raised in Greenwich, CT.
They are not Southerners.
Poor dears; bless their little hearts.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What?
Someone said that your entire family has to be from the South for at least 200 years. What if you never knew part of your family?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,687,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Someone said that your entire family has to be from the South for at least 200 years. What if you never knew part of your family?
Absolutely, Missymom. And many people who think that they have a solid southern "pedigree" may find that they have an ancestor or two out there who was not from the South. After all, a lot of the Scotch-Irish first settled in Appalachian Pennsylvania and worked their way down into WV, Ky, Tn, before moving west to Ark and Tx.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Absolutely, Missymom. And many people who think that they have a solid southern "pedigree" may find that they have an ancestor or two out there who was not from the South. After all, a lot of the Scotch-Irish first settled in Appalachian Pennsylvania and worked their way down into WV, Ky, Tn, before moving west to Ark and Tx.
That's what I thought. In my eyes, being Southern isn't just about lineage, but raising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or