U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times

Advertisements

City-data91 is largely right.

Southern culture also retained, or embellished on, elements of Medieval and Renaissance England that others abandoned. Like loyalty, respect, and a bit of a class system. I think Southerners are still more likely to say "sir" and "ma'am" than other regions. When my siblings came up North many "Yankees" thought this tendency meant they were mistreated or were trying to insult people by making them sound old. Calling people "white trash" I think also originated more in the South as they made clear distinctions of respectable and unrespectable people. Also like England Southerners enjoys its eccentrics and colorful characters. Then there's food and the accent.

I'd have to get out my copy of "Albion's Seed", or my notebooks from Southern history, for more. I would just use my own experience, but Northwest Arkansas is a bit different than the deep South. Although most of what I said still fits, the region I came from had a much stronger Scottish element. So there was a good deal of self-reliance, isolationism, and choosing severe poverty over charity. My Arkansas grandmother praised Herbert Hoover, which I don't think was typical for the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 PM

499 posts, read 1,601,519 times
I am taking this question as a comparison of "attributes" that would generally define a Southerner from other types of people. Certainly, just because you LIVE in the South, doesn't make you a Southerner. As an urban Northerner who now lives in the rural South, I have experienced a tremendous amount of culture shock. To me, being a Southerner is a culturally definted attribute (even if you moved up North).

Here's what I've got:
  • Don't have the understanding of the "we" or inclusive community consciousness
  • Sense of entitlement
  • Suspect of any diversity from the tribe mentality
  • Generally ignorant of worldly ideas, opinions and experiences
  • Love to pigeon-hole people based on status, clothing, address, etc. when the "upstanding" citizen could be an axe murderer
  • Extreme fear of speaking up against the tribe
  • Harbor resentments against others for petty things
  • Have offspring with their own children or siblings
  • Put personalities above all principals
  • Are morally self-righteous, but immoral
  • Live compartmentalized lives (public vs. private personas)
  • Difficulty with rational confrontations (kiss, kiss, back-stab OR shotgun)
  • Black/White thinking in problem solving situations
  • Women generally have children early to get out of their parents home
  • Have little sense of integrity (thoughts, words, actions)
  • Abdicate responsibility in community by allowing others to make decisions for them, not always in their best interest
  • Hate many people, places, things, ideas, etc.
  • Depends on others to make a living off their backs through some handshake deal, instead of the sweat of their own brow

Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
You must be in the worst part of the South or you just hate being where you're at so you're exaggerating. (Although there's some truth to the part about hypocrasy and black/white thinking)

Basically I'd say leave as soon as you can if you hate it that much. Or at least move to a larger city.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-20-2009 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: adding something.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 PM

835 posts, read 2,084,782 times
My father and his sister both married Yankees. The difference is she moved up North and he stayed in the South. I would not consider my Northern born and raised cousins to be Southerners for having a Southern mother. I would, however, consider myself a Southerner (despite my wonderful mother being from the North) as I have was born and raised in the South. (By the way, both of my father's parents were from the South.) While my upbringing isn't as Southern as a lot of people's, I consider myself a Southerner.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
A Southerner is someone born&raised in a state heavily influenced by Southern culture. Also, a Southerner is someone who loves and appreciates their Southern homestate and affiliation with the history, norms, and culture of the South at large.

1st generation transplants from the West, Midwest, and North to Southern states are not truly Southerners as their family lineage is not based from Southern stock. Just my 2 cents....as usual, prolly ain't worth that much.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 06-25-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,239,954 times
Holy moly! Your list actually sounds like a list of requirements to be a guest on Jerry Springer.

I'm wondering why you stay.

I don't see a lot of Jerry Springer types in my neck of the Southern woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I am taking this question as a comparison of "attributes" that would generally define a Southerner from other types of people. Certainly, just because you LIVE in the South, doesn't make you a Southerner. As an urban Northerner who now lives in the rural South, I have experienced a tremendous amount of culture shock. To me, being a Southerner is a culturally definted attribute (even if you moved up North).

Here's what I've got:
  • Don't have the understanding of the "we" or inclusive community consciousness
  • Sense of entitlement
  • Suspect of any diversity from the tribe mentality
  • Generally ignorant of worldly ideas, opinions and experiences
  • Love to pigeon-hole people based on status, clothing, address, etc. when the "upstanding" citizen could be an axe murderer
  • Extreme fear of speaking up against the tribe
  • Harbor resentments against others for petty things
  • Have offspring with their own children or siblings
  • Put personalities above all principals
  • Are morally self-righteous, but immoral
  • Live compartmentalized lives (public vs. private personas)
  • Difficulty with rational confrontations (kiss, kiss, back-stab OR shotgun)
  • Black/White thinking in problem solving situations
  • Women generally have children early to get out of their parents home
  • Have little sense of integrity (thoughts, words, actions)
  • Abdicate responsibility in community by allowing others to make decisions for them, not always in their best interest
  • Hate many people, places, things, ideas, etc.
  • Depends on others to make a living off their backs through some handshake deal, instead of the sweat of their own brow

Old 06-28-2009, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 27,976 times
Being a Southerner is about many different things. Obviously you need to be from the South, or directly raised by people from the South (basically any state that was in the Confederacy plus Okla, southern MO, KY, WV). Beyond that, it is about a whole set of character attributes, way of life, and outlook. Southern people have a deeper sense of the past, greater attachment to family and religion. I also think that Southerners are generally more courteous to strangers. When I was a kid, manners (called "upbringing") were of extreme importance. Many people in the big Southern cities probably don't think of themselves as Southerners, but would be surprised at how Southern they really are if they suddenly found themselves living in Boton, or LA, or Chicago. These of course are broad generalizations, and there are many, many exceptions. And also, Southern-ness is not necessarily about race, either. African Americans and whites from the South share many common experiences and outlooks that are different from their non-Southern counterparts, or so I've noticed. I think that African Americans have been more successful at keeping their Southern-ness with them as they've moved to other regions of the country, also.

As far as accent goes, that's certainy part of it, but not everyone in the South nowadays speaks with the accent, and there is more than one type of Southern accent. A cajun or New Orleans accent is unlike any other accent in the South, but you tell a cajun that he's not Southern and see what happens, lol. There's also a distinctive northern Florida Southern accent, and that weird accent in Virginia (no offense to Virginians, lol).

Just my opinion.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,644,085 times
Default reply

You are not a southerner by any stretch of your imagination.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,239,954 times
LOL! uncletupelo, it took you SO LONG to respond to this thread! I've been waiting for YOUR definition of what Southern is!

I know I'm not Southern.

I'm an American.

Happy July Fourth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post

Old 07-05-2009, 07:44 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,957,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Who are you talking to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or