Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times

Advertisements

Many people don't move to those places because the cost of moving is expensive, and most companies have so many applicants they don't need to offer re-location assistance like they used to. In my case, I've been out of work for awhile, and would love to move, but our house won't sell in this area however. My husband has a great job, so I keep looking here, but it's not happening. We also have kids, so it's harder to pick up and move. If you are single, no house, and no kids, it seems it would be much easier to pick up and move. It's a liitle more challenging with those however.
Also agree it's the locations themselves. I think my Mom's hometown of Fargo ND is on one of those lists. Other than hearing her talk about how there is nothing out there, I've never heard anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM

763 posts, read 1,298,005 times
Right now, many people are scared of relocating due to the fact there are very few places not in the tank economically. Many feel that the economy is not going to get better any time soon so rather than move elsewhere (which costs alot of money that most don't have) they would rather just stay put and tough it out

Old 06-26-2009, 04:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
Right now, many people are scared of relocating due to the fact there are very few places not in the tank economically. Many feel that the economy is not going to get better any time soon so rather than move elsewhere (which costs alot of money that most don't have) they would rather just stay put and tough it out
Wise advice The ones I would suspect as most likely to move are those people who feel at this point they've absolutely nothing to lose. Best wishes to those of you.

I dream all the time about relocation, mostly out of boredom with these familiar surroundings and being a little bit adventuresome. But since wife is finishing up the last few years of teaching and daughter is near entering college, it just really doesn't make sense. Probably better at this point to stay grounded since I'm well over 50 and health problems now. Yet I still dream....

Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Many of you are committing one basic economic fallacy...

Low unemployment does NOT mean there are lots of jobs...it means fewer people are losing their jobs.

Cities like Iowa City, IA, State College, PA, Madison, WI and other areas with university, government or healthcare dominated economies always have low unemployment. Simply put, all of the major employers are institutions that don't lay people off. That doesn't mean they are hiring and that doesn't mean it's easy to find a job.

I know Penn State University has a hiring freeze. But State College, PA unemployment is still crazy low. I don't know about the University of Iowa but I'd take a gander it's probably pretty similar. It is deathly hard to find a job in a college town where the major employer is only doing a little hiring or none at all, especially if everyone you are competing with are recent graduates from said university or other people who have university connections.

The question at hand is not invalid, but do not correlate low unemployment with job growth, job opportunities or ease of finding a job.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Good point. Iowa City and Amarillo, TX are not places that I would ever consider relocating to, even if I found myself unemployed. If it was not for the internet, how would I know those cities even existed, lol???
How about that subject in school (in some anyway) called geography? Failing that there is always the basic skill called awareness. The world as we know is changing, ask the multitude of "east coast elitists" riding unemployment benefits in their geographic ignorance bliss. I wonder if their geographic IQ will increase a bit as said unemployment benefits dry up after 26 months. LOL LOL LOL chuckle.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I have members of my extended family who wouldn't dream of moving from the area they grew up in. It's all they know and it's where they intend to stay. They'd rather downgrade to a worse job than move to get a better one.
Same here...my entire family, in fact.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
How about that subject in school (in some anyway) called geography? Failing that there is always the basic skill called awareness. The world as we know is changing, ask the multitude of "east coast elitists" riding unemployment benefits in their geographic ignorance bliss. I wonder if their geographic IQ will increase a bit as said unemployment benefits dry up after 26 months. LOL LOL LOL chuckle.
I say just let those "East Coast Elitists" stay in their ignorant bliss, rather than moving en masse to some place where people can actually get jobs without some "internal connections" or "special favors" and end up ruining it for the rest of us. Besides, the places where I'm looking to relocate (once I have a job in that city) have a huge amount of Californian transplants as is, and I can see myself tolerating them a lot better than some MA/NY/NJ/MD/Eastern PA transplant any day of the week.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 PM

27 posts, read 111,974 times
I thinnk many of those places have low unemployment simply because people are leaving them to find work elsewhere. In any case I imagine it is difficult to get people to relocate to them, because they are in the middle of nowhere. The top rated major city on the list is Dallas, and it's at 99

Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
I thinnk many of those places have low unemployment simply because people are leaving them to find work elsewhere. In any case I imagine it is difficult to get people to relocate to them, because they are in the middle of nowhere. The top rated major city on the list is Dallas, and it's at 99
Yes, I've seen a number of excuses since first posting, some legitimate, but there's no doubt many are simply unwilling to move because of this 'middle of nowhere' attitude but don't want to admit it, preferring to use another excuse instead. Just food for thought the next time one sees the unemployment statistics.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Yes, I've seen a number of excuses since first posting, some legitimate, but there's no doubt many are simply unwilling to move because of this 'middle of nowhere' attitude but don't want to admit it, preferring to use another excuse instead. Just food for thought the next time one sees the unemployment statistics.
A city like Amarillo really is "in the middle of nowhere" in a literal and figurative sense. This is not a feeling just shared by bicoastal people, but many others from all over the US. Iowa City, on the other hand, is in a much more favorable geographic location and does not feel as isolated in my opinion. It has easier access to the Chicagoland area as well as Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.