U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,091,655 times

Advertisements

When they say stuff like "I'm bored" and "Houston is ugly" it's a clear indication they're not from here. Either that, or they're too busy watching The Biggest Loser and American Idol in their house in the 'burbs to actually get out and do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
I know they are...

When they walk down the street wearing beads around their necks while drinking liquor from a lime green alien cup.
When they say Nawlins.
When they expose themselves and expect something in return other than a trip to the parish prison.
When they engage in every form of debauchery imaginable and some unimaginable.
When they take pictures in front of Voodoo Mart or are afraid to go in (just a convience store).
When they constantly ask locals if they are from NYC or the Caribbean because they expect a southern accent.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM

887 posts, read 2,667,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I know they are...

When they walk down the street wearing beads around their necks while drinking liquor from a lime green alien cup.
When they say Nawlins.
When they expose themselves and expect something in return other than a trip to the parish prison.
When they engage in every form of debauchery imaginable and some unimaginable.
When they take pictures in front of Voodoo Mart or are afraid to go in (just a convience store).
When they constantly ask locals if they are from NYC or the Caribbean because they expect a southern accent.
Based on my experience in NOLA..very good list. I bolded the things that really got on my nerves when I lived there for such a short time.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:47 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Based on my experience in NOLA..very good list. I bolded the things that really got on my nerves when I lived there for such a short time.
My stomach turns whenever I hear "Nawlins"
I was in a restaurant the other day and the people at the next table constantly asked the waitress to say "baby" over and over, then told her she can't be from Louisiana because she sounded like a Jamaican. Y'at and Pa tois sound nothing alike.

I'm sorry, tourists annoy me.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

322 posts, read 704,355 times
when they are on their cell phones in the middle of the sidewalk bragging to their friends trying to interject the word "California" in every sentence

also, they tend to wear shorts and fanny packs...usually caucasian and talk very nasally(midwestern/chic)

Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 AM

208 posts, read 540,278 times
When I worked in the hotel industry, I met people from all over the United States. I began to pick up on the different accents and different looks of people from across the country.

It got to where when someone was approaching the front desk, I would think to myself "I bet they are from the midwest (or northeast or south)." When I looked at their registration card, about 80% of the time I was right. They didn't have to say anything. It's just a look.

I no longer work directly with the public, but when I'm out and about in Nashville I make the same observations. You can also tell by how some people drive too.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
...when they have a tan in the Winter. Many people here do not even tan in the Summer.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,501,257 times
In my hometown, if the person isn't white and isn't drunk, they're probably not from there.

In Boston, it's pretty tough. However if they're wearing a brand new Red Sox hat or if there's a group of people walking along the Freedom Trail, it's most likely a bunch of non-locals.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

37 posts, read 98,212 times
Nola ones are spot on... what about when they call it "The French Quarters"... why do people insist on adding an S? Also... THE mardi gras. It's Mardi Gras people.

For instance...

Nasally Mid-Western Accent: "We're going down to Nawlins to see the Mardi Gras! I can't wait to get bourbon faced on s*%$ street!"

Local: "We're going to my mom's Uptown on tuesday just to hang with the family. Might hit the quarter that night to watch some drunk tourists."

PS - bourbon faced on s%^$ street is the most over-used and retarded saying i can think of, but all tourists seem to love it.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:20 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,883,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
How would a car in the lower 48 have Hawaii plates?

I've seen Alaska in the lower 48 before, but not Hawaii. Unless the plates were transferred to a car here, or the car was imported with the plates attached?
I see Hawaii plates here ALLLL the time.

Anyway, it's easy to tell someone isn't from around here. They will say "Or-gone" and you know they're from back east, or they have a shiny, well-kept car (possibly with rims, tinted windows, and maybe tricked out a little) and you know they're from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or