U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:30 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,448,674 times

Advertisements

When I see people in NYC looking at the buildings while walkin slow. Also, when they just stares at the limo's. For us seeing Limos is the norm. When people are walking slow, driving slow. When people say Hi to everyone. However I say Hi to everyone when I'm going to buy something or when I enter a building. Many won't say Hi back lol, but I'd still do it. When people are not dressed with any style at all. When people wear sandals a lot. Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,927,091 times
I guess when people call it "Hotlanta" because the locales don't really use it.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:59 PM

117 posts, read 321,886 times
Many times you can totally spot people not from California with the exception of 2 states, Nevada and Arizona, who dress very much the same as Californians. When I arrived in California from the South, I was dressed much more classic and preppy. I thought people here, especially the women, were way too trendy with a touch of tacky and trashy sometimes. Clear plastic, colored sandals, called Jelly's were popular and they might have rhinestones and other "jewels" and were worn with everyday casual attire by girls in my age group, which to my Southern sensibilities constituted trendy with tacky. They were in and out in one summer and have since had a couple of resurgences of popularity.

If you're at Disneyland or someplace like that, you can spot the European's a mile off. The men's shorts are much shorter than what American's would wear, they don odd looking sandals and teeshirts that look a size too small with the 1968 version of a Beatle haircut. It's fairly standard Germany, Denmark, Holland, etc. tourist attire.

If people are from the Midwest like Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin area the younger guys wear those silky long athletic (Adidas, Nike, etc.) shorts and some type of tee shirt with socks worn with Adidas sandals (never seen here) and a 1964 version of the Beatles haircut. Girls wear a lot of peasant type tops with more stylish shorts than the guys and are much less trendy, blond, tan and barrelcurled than the California girls.

Last edited by ceeglass; 06-20-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:15 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,178,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
When I see people in NYC looking at the buildings while walkin slow. Also, when they just stares at the limo's. For us seeing Limos is the norm. When people are walking slow, driving slow. When people say Hi to everyone. However I say Hi to everyone when I'm going to buy something or when I enter a building. Many won't say Hi back lol, but I'd still do it. When people are not dressed with any style at all. When people wear sandals a lot. Etc...
I hated walking through the Times Sq area to the Port Auth. Bus Term. to commute home every day. Packs of tourists moving at 1/16 mph, holding hands 3-wide, stopping to browse at every open garment bag full of knockoff purses and watches lying out on the sidewalk, stopping to watch every NYPD car that goes by with lights & siren. Meanwhile I have 5 minutes to catch my bus and 4 more blocks to run!

Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,965,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I can tell they're not from here if I'm in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and people act like they've never seen a deer before.
LOL! We were just there last week and went through Cades Cove. It was kinda aggrivating when people would stop, we thought there was a bear, and it wasn't nothing but deer or a turkey. We see those ALL the time here, we wanted a bear lol

Old 06-20-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I know they are...

When they walk down the street wearing beads around their necks while drinking liquor from a lime green alien cup.
When they say Nawlins.
When they expose themselves and expect something in return other than a trip to the parish prison.
When they engage in every form of debauchery imaginable and some unimaginable.
When they take pictures in front of Voodoo Mart or are afraid to go in (just a convience store).
When they constantly ask locals if they are from NYC or the Caribbean because they expect a southern accent.
What's the deal with voodoo mart? Why are people afraid of it?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la24 View Post
Nasally Mid-Western Accent: "We're going down to Nawlins to see the Mardi Gras! I can't wait to get bourbon faced on s*%$ street!"
I don't get it

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,287,653 times
To all the people complaining about tourists clogging the sidewalks, walking slow, etc...your city would be in trouble if not for those tourists, so you might want to stop cursing them and start welcoming them a little more.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:17 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,619,847 times
That doesn't change the fact that it's inconsiderate to block the path of people who have places to be. Just because you pay to be in a place doesn't give you a free pass to be rude. You can walk up or move over if you want to admire the sights.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,710,061 times
When they ask where the shopping district is at? There hasn't been a shopping district in downtown Detroit since my parents were 10 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or