U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times

Advertisements

Another one for NYC is that the tourists don't want across the street when there are no cars coming, even when the walk sign says not to walk.

And when they stand on the left side of the escalators; blocking anyone who wants to walk up the escalator.

I'll probably think of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM

505 posts, read 1,226,040 times
They are traveling in a group on the Freedom Trail, or standing at Faneuil Hall watching a street performer, or taking a trolley ride. And obviously, most of the European tourists don't speak English, which is a big clue they aren't from around here.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 PM

631 posts, read 1,971,387 times
You can tell who is not a New Yorker based on the way they carry themselves. New Yorkers tend to have this "I know it all" air about them, and you can automatically pinpoint a self-conscious out-of-towner.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
You can tell who is not a New Yorker based on the way they carry themselves. New Yorkers tend to have this "I know it all" air about them, and you can automatically pinpoint a self-conscious out-of-towner.
lol definitely true. I can also tell who's a tourist by what they're wearing.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times
Europeans tend to wear long pants in a leisure situation even if its' 95 degrees outside here.
On the other hand, if you see someone wearing shorts or white athletic shoes in Europe, it's almost a sure bet they are American.
And is you want to track down someone from Japan in Atlanta, go to the Margaret Mitchell house. They'll be on the front lawn, camera in hand.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 AM

34,699 posts, read 33,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Another one for NYC is that the tourists don't want across the street when there are no cars coming, even when the walk sign says not to walk.

And when they stand on the left side of the escalators; blocking anyone who wants to walk up the escalator.

I'll probably think of others.
I'm a left hand holder on person. I carry things in my right hand, on my right arm and hold onto any railing with my left. I never realized this until I got to DC and then I realized I open doors (building and car) with my left hand, too. It was very hard to adjust what I apparently did all my life. When I switched, the pocketbook kept falling off the left shoulder. I kept dropping things in my left hand...all to accommodate people in a rush, like you.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:36 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
That doesn't change the fact that it's inconsiderate to block the path of people who have places to be. Just because you pay to be in a place doesn't give you a free pass to be rude. You can walk up or move over if you want to admire the sights.
Or, as a resident of the city, can be considerate to guests SO THEY'LL COME BACK AGAIN and spend even more money in your city. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,037,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
How would a car in the lower 48 have Hawaii plates?

I've seen Alaska in the lower 48 before, but not Hawaii. Unless the plates were transferred to a car here, or the car was imported with the plates attached?
I've seen plenty of Hawaii plates in WA state.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I've seen plenty of Hawaii plates in WA state.
Hawaii plates are not all that uncommon in the contiguous U.S....

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,618,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Or, as a resident of the city, can be considerate to guests SO THEY'LL COME BACK AGAIN and spend even more money in your city. That would be the appropriate thing to do.
Most people in New York, Washington as a whole are pretty nice to tourists, so I have no clue what you're getting at here. But that doesn't mean tourists can just abandon any sense of accommodating other's needs.

Just because you pay to be somewhere doesn't mean you can't act whatever way you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or