U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:53 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Most people in New York, Washington as a whole are pretty nice to tourists, so I have no clue what you're getting at here. But that doesn't mean tourists can just abandon any sense of accommodating other's needs.

Just because you pay to be somewhere doesn't mean you can't act whatever way you want.
Same goes for if you live there...it works both ways, don't you think? As a resident, you can't treat people whatever way you want - well, you can...but there are consequences.

The majority of people I've met in NYC and D.C. have been nothing but nice...but some of the comments on here regarding tourists have been very rude. My comments weren't specifically toward you, but just in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,902,046 times
That horn blow is a definite sign as well as riding so close behind you that you can't see their car grill at 55 mph. They also walk so close to you that they almost make you trip. I don't usually get closer than an arms length from another person. We have enough space around here that one should not need to be on top of each other.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,715,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That horn blow is a definite sign as well as riding so close behind you that you can't see their car grill at 55 mph. They also walk so close to you that they almost make you trip. I don't usually get closer than an arms length from another person. We have enough space around here that one should not need to be on top of each other.
Ditto on that NCN.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,961,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
OH MY GOODNESS.... there was a man tailgating me so bad on a 4-lane expressway the other day that I could see his hair color.... and my truck has a seven foot bed. Not to mention that all three lanes around me were empty! I tapped on my brakes at one point and he flipped me off I have never seen anyone drive like that here before, he was probably not from here and I wish he'd go home.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM

305 posts, read 364,294 times
If, during the winter months, they are tan. Tan people look good during the summer here, but you look ridiculous if your tan among pale Minnesotans.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM

232 posts, read 639,613 times
Default Duluth (Minnesota) is a city all it's own...

Everything is east-west; as in 1st Ave E, 1st Ave W, E 2nd St, W 2nd St...on a grid it makes NO sense because Duluth stretches 33 miles along Lake Superior, so actually 'out west' is really south (it goes along I-35 which leads south to Minneapolis after 150 miles) and those in east Duluth are along Highway 61 which leads to Thunder Bay, ON, Canada, going north. But our avenues go from 96th Ave E - 136th Ave W; and you quickly learn (especially if you have school age kids) that East High School = very rich kids, Denfeld High School (west end) is the 'bad school' in Duluth. It's funny for a city of only 88,000 people. It's urban sensibility is something usually seen in cities three times our size. Because Duluth is built on very steep hills, 'over the hill' means going to the Miller Hill Mall (our version of suburban big box land)...so when someone's headed 'over the hill' they're headed for the mall. And of course, for those who are from the other parts of the U.S. it puzzles them when we say we are going 'down to Minneapolis' as very few people live in locations where Minneapolis is actually a southern destination! The other big thing is directions: from here (34th Ave E & 11th St to downtown is, hmm, 3-4 miles...in other cities they'd look at me and say, what?) - they want to know how many minutues rather than miles. Because Duluth goes on for 33 miles and is a thin city spread over very steep hills which meets Lake Superior, you can't get lost - just look for the lake if you do! In Minneapolis, those '4-5 miles' could mean 30-45 minutes sitting in traffic. Here it's usually a 10 minute drive.

The biggest thing I notice here vs. say, Phoenix or Los Angeles is how people define affluence by geography. In Duluth, it's defined by cross streets - if you are on 36th Ave E & 1st St., you're among the super rich. No question about it. You have one of the multi-million dollar houses, as does anyone along Skyline Parkway. In Phoenix, it's zip codes - 85262 is highly desirable. 85009 is not. Just like California, 90210 and 90211 is, of course, the land of the rich and richer, while 90013 is the heart of skid row. The lines in Duluth (and I'm guessing Minneapolis) are much more blurred as downtown has gone through transitions - while 55802 is as urban as it gets here, you have one block with $2M condos while the soup kitchen and YWCA Apartments (one room, $160 a month) are only a block and a half away. It's a small world. But interesting how our way of defining these things mean so much to locals and confuse visitors!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,845,592 times
I probably have the best example:

If a person says NorFOLK instead of Nawfuk or NewPORT News instead of Newpert Newws.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM

45 posts, read 37,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I probably have the best example:

If a person says NorFOLK instead of Nawfuk or NewPORT News instead of Newpert Newws.

You can tell when they are at a cookout and DONT know how to eat crabs or doesnt know what Yock is.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:34 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,806,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
that someone isn't from your area? Usually someone has to talk before I can tell but just yesterday I was going to the grocery and was walking up tp the door. Two guys and a girl had just gotten out of a car and I knew immediately they weren't from here. I'm not sure how, maybe it was mannerisms, they were dressed VERY different, so on. I looked at their plates on their car and it said Hawaii. How about you?
I'm pretty good although part of the problem is that there are people from everywhere living in Florida that have relocated here.
Generally speaking if you have been here long enough, you don't bother with an umbrella unless its a HUGE downpour, thats one way. Someone who is dying of heat stroke, clearly not used to the humidity etc.

There are alot of visitors here especially if you are down in Orlando.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochieReaves View Post
You can tell when they are at a cookout and DONT know how to eat crabs or doesnt know what Yock is.

That reminds me of something here. You know someone isn't from downstate NY when they call it a "cookout"--we say it like "ba-bick-que"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or