Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

that someone isn't from your area? Usually someone has to talk before I can tell but just yesterday I was going to the grocery and was walking up tp the door. Two guys and a girl had just gotten out of a car and I knew immediately they weren't from here. I'm not sure how, maybe it was mannerisms, they were dressed VERY different, so on. I looked at their plates on their car and it said Hawaii. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
How would a car in the lower 48 have Hawaii plates?

I've seen Alaska in the lower 48 before, but not Hawaii. Unless the plates were transferred to a car here, or the car was imported with the plates attached?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

I've seen Alaska in the lower 48 before, but not Hawaii. Unless the plates were transferred to a car here, or the car was imported with the plates attached?
I dunno lol But it did have Hawaii plates lol Point is, is it easy for you to tell people who aren't from there?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

Many military people have their cars shipped from station to station.

Ok..that problem solved.

I live in tourist central, usually the bright pink skin(sunburn) is the 1st clue

Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granny sue View Post
many military people have their cars shipped from station to station.

Ok..that problem solved.

I live in tourist central, usually the bright pink skin(sunburn) is the 1st clue
lol!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
I really can't tell? *shrug*

Its not like we don't get any outsiders.. I guess there isn't a certain accent that EVERYONE here has. Unless they speak just totally different, I wouldn't be able to tell.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm originally from Long Island, NY, spent 12 years in Maryland and now live in Tennessee.

I can tell by how they drive. If they're on the horn, they're not originally from Tennessee. Since some have moved here, plates are not always a good indicator.

If they're men, I can tell they're not from here originally by the way they hold a door open for a woman. Men raised here, hold the door for a woman and let her pass through first. Men not raised here, generally either don't hold the door at all or they go through it first and then hold it. It cuts through all class/economic lines, in my observation.

I can tell they're not from here if I'm in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and people act like they've never seen a deer before.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:21 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
they wear big t-shirts, backpacks, walk in big groups and hover around the liberty bell

and in nyc, all the people walking really slow and looking up

and my biggest pet peeve. not crossing the street when the light clearly says "cross".

Last edited by john_starks; 06-19-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 07:34 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I think most folks buy a car at a dealer near where they live. So even if the tags are local, if the dealer mark on their car isn't local, there's one indication.

Those states that have the county emblazoned on the plate give pretty good indications. Some are a little more subtle.

Indiana has county numbers, but the giveaway state map has a decoder for the county numbers (and some of the big counties have more than one number).

Virginia has county-specific windshield stickers.

Most New York State tags have a county-unique set of letters as part of the number. Folks in smaller counties get a sense of which ones were issued through their local county DMV and can tell out of area folks that way. (A few years back there was a sort of minor controversy when the Tompkins County DMV around liberal Ithaca was issuing plates that started with "NRA..." )

In PA, the rural counties don't have emissions inspection so there's only one registration sticker on the windshield. If you come from a (typically more metropolitan) county that requires emissions you have two stickers on the windshield. Good "flatlander" detector.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
In Manhattan they walk around with their heads titled back looking up into the air and not where they are going bumping into people. They also are posing their friends in front of buildings taking pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.