U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM

2,092 posts, read 5,867,791 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I don't find Seattle anything like Boston or Pittsburgh. Maybe in terms of density and building layout... but with the whole wilderness culture, grunge rock scene, etc ... certainly not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 PM

83 posts, read 252,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Honestly, I don't find Seattle anything like Boston or Pittsburgh. Maybe in terms of density and building layout... but with the whole wilderness culture, grunge rock scene, etc ... certainly not the same.
I see. Yeah, I was thinking Minneapolis was similar to the culture, outdoor recreation, local food scene, and creative type people in general, to Seattle.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,709,147 times
Pittsburgh does have an REI, Explorers Club of Pittsburgh and Venture Outdoors for outdoor folks, Neighbors in the Strip for a food scene. Compared to Minneapolis, the mountains and rocks are certainly more accessible from Pgh. No, not quite like Seattle, but there are no volcanoes on the East Coast just waiting to wipe out civilization with a lahar, either!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, a lot of people just think of Syracuse as just being a blue collar city, but it is an area in transition. Health care and education is big here now too.

Here's some more information: City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse University

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Sensis Corporation - Detect the Difference

SRC

Anaren Microwave - microwave components, subassemblies, LTCC, ceramic processing, Wireless, Space, and Defense Electronics, Amitron

We have a Lockheed Martin here too: MS2 | Lockheed Martin , Quality, Environment, Safety & Health (QESH) Policy (http://www.lockheedmartin.com/ms2/siteinformation/syracuse/QESHP.html - broken link)

Very affordable housing market, that is stable too: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Syracuse Neighborhood Information + Homes For Sale | CNYREALTOR.COM (I think you would like the neighborhoods by Syracuse University like Westcott, University, Meadowbrook and Outer Comstock) , Template:Syracuse Neighborhoods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Greater University HillÂ* — Syracuse, New York

Syracuse Arts Net Home , Syracuse Arts Net Directory

Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES

and much more......
Here's some more info. on the Syracuse area and NY State: welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Table Hopping

Onondaga County Parks,Home Page

City of Syracuse - Department of Parks, Recreation & Youth Programs

I LOVE NEW YORK - The Official New York State Tourism Website

Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,545,652 times
I think out of your choices, Minneapolis is the most similar to Seattle. It also feels smaller than Seattle (not really a lot smaller, 16th vs. 15th Metro, but definitely less density and less traffic, and more affordable, which are all according to your needs). Boston actually feels a lot larger than Seattle in my opinion, and it is indeed larger (10th vs 15th Metro).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonz View Post
I just moved back to Pennsylvania after losing my job in Seattle. I was out there for a year and barely made the job contacts I needed to stay out there indefinitely while I looked for work. I'm 26 so I'm pretty mobile in terms of relocating, but I think I'd like to stay on the east coast this time.

I really liked Seattle but want a slightly smaller city, less traffic, more affordable, historically stable economy. I've been thinking about Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Raleigh/Durham, Portland, ME, maybe Boston (but of course, I have a random job offer there, but bigger than Seattle), not really sure where else.

North Carolina is the furthest south I'd consider and don't really want to live in the Midwest (except Minneapolis). Weather does not matter, however, I'd take winter over extreme heat. I love Autumn and lots of trees. I don't work in a specific industry yet, but I'm leaning towards Internet/Web/Ecommerce/IT type work, so a city with a decent tech/creative industry would be nice.

Any opinions or advice? Thanks everyone!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,956,143 times
Boston... it's near the water and it's safe and expensive, that's really it.
It's a hard question to answer.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Minnesota has those 10,000 lakes; Minneapolis is a cosmopolitan city and there are lots of outdoor activites there, including winter sports.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 PM

317 posts, read 817,963 times
The Boston-Seattle comparison is interesting. They do have some funny similarities but since distinct differences as well. For one, Boston is much more dense than Seattle since it only occupies a land area of some 40 square miles. This is evident when you're Downtown; however, it's possible that Boston's street layout and scape gives that allusion. The roads are very narrow Downtown and since it does not follow a grid, most people walk. There are some nice similarities, though. Both have wonderful historic market destinations (Quincy and Pike Place).

Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,721,937 times
Three cities have been discussed most on this thread, and it leaves me curious about what exactly the OP is looking for.

From the original post: ". . . but I think I'd like to stay on the east coast this time.

I really liked Seattle but want a slightly smaller city, less traffic, more affordable . . ."

Boston? Bigger than Seattle, bad traffic, and not exactly affordable.

Minneapolis? Similar to Seattle in metro area population, city proper population larger if you include Mnnpls. and St. Paul, and not quite on the east coast.

Pittsburgh? Slightly smaller, but it's still a big city. Not sure you'd really notice the little bit of difference between the sizes of Pittsburgh and Seattle.

NewHorizonz, I'm thinking that a little more detail about what features of Seattle you're trying to find in another city would help narrow the possibilities, as would some specifics on what size city you are looking for, and how flexible you are on size of the city and geographic region.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,545,652 times
Right, OP said east coast in the title. However, s/he mentioned Minneapolis in the content. I am not sure s/he knows what s/he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Three cities have been discussed most on this thread, and it leaves me curious about what exactly the OP is looking for.

From the original post: ". . . but I think I'd like to stay on the east coast this time.

I really liked Seattle but want a slightly smaller city, less traffic, more affordable . . ."

Boston? Bigger than Seattle, bad traffic, and not exactly affordable.

Minneapolis? Similar to Seattle in metro area population, city proper population larger if you include Mnnpls. and St. Paul, and not quite on the east coast.

Pittsburgh? Slightly smaller, but it's still a big city. Not sure you'd really notice the little bit of difference between the sizes of Pittsburgh and Seattle.

NewHorizonz, I'm thinking that a little more detail about what features of Seattle you're trying to find in another city would help narrow the possibilities, as would some specifics on what size city you are looking for, and how flexible you are on size of the city and geographic region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or