U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 AM

83 posts, read 252,775 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to Pennsylvania after losing my job in Seattle. I was out there for a year and barely made the job contacts I needed to stay out there indefinitely while I looked for work. I'm 26 so I'm pretty mobile in terms of relocating, but I think I'd like to stay on the east coast this time.

I really liked Seattle but want a slightly smaller city, less traffic, more affordable, historically stable economy. I've been thinking about Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Raleigh/Durham, Portland, ME, maybe Boston (but of course, I have a random job offer there, but bigger than Seattle), not really sure where else.

North Carolina is the furthest south I'd consider and don't really want to live in the Midwest (except Minneapolis). Weather does not matter, however, I'd take winter over extreme heat. I love Autumn and lots of trees. I don't work in a specific industry yet, but I'm leaning towards Internet/Web/Ecommerce/IT type work, so a city with a decent tech/creative industry would be nice.

Any opinions or advice? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,084,153 times
The Pittsburgh economy is in fair shape compared to most cities in the country, especially the larger metro areas. I may move to that my area myself.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:39 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonz View Post
I just moved back to Pennsylvania after losing my job in Seattle. I was out there for a year and barely made the job contacts I needed to stay out there indefinitely while I looked for work. I'm 26 so I'm pretty mobile in terms of relocating, but I think I'd like to stay on the east coast this time.

I really liked Seattle but want a slightly smaller city, less traffic, more affordable, historically stable economy. I've been thinking about Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Raleigh/Durham, Portland, ME, maybe Boston (but of course, I have a random job offer there, but bigger than Seattle), not really sure where else.

North Carolina is the furthest south I'd consider and don't really want to live in the Midwest (except Minneapolis). Weather does not matter, however, I'd take winter over extreme heat. I love Autumn and lots of trees. I don't work in a specific industry yet, but I'm leaning towards Internet/Web/Ecommerce/IT type work, so a city with a decent tech/creative industry would be nice.

Any opinions or advice? Thanks everyone!
Maybe Syracuse where autumn is the best time of year here and we have tech companies like Syracuse Research Corporation, Sensis, Anaren and the presence of a world class university in Syracuse University too.

Here's a good place to look for jobs in the area: Central New York Jobs

Central New York Jobs in Information Technology

Central New York Information Technology

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,101,882 times
Boston/Providence?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM

893 posts, read 2,517,706 times
Boston
Pittsburgh

Those seem like your best bets.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Syracuse where autumn is the best time of year here and we have tech companies like Syracuse Research Corporation, Sensis, Anaren and the presence of a world class university in Syracuse University too.

Here's a good place to look for jobs in the area: Central New York Jobs

Central New York Jobs in Information Technology

Central New York Information Technology

I hadn't thought of Syracuse. Thanks for the job search info too!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:34 PM

WILWRadio what kind of work would you look for in Pittsburgh?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:40 PM

So it seems like Pittsburgh and Boston are the top picks. That's surprising, I thought Minneapolis would have been most like Seattle (except weather wise).

Either way, thanks for the advice everyone! Much appreciated.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:44 PM

893 posts, read 2,517,706 times
I was thinking Minneapolis because of the cafe, bohemian, and biking culture. But its also farther away if you ever become unemployed away and need to network. Your aunt in PA most likely has a greater chance of knowing somebody in Boston/Pittsburgh than Minneapolis.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonz View Post
I hadn't thought of Syracuse. Thanks for the job search info too!
Yeah, a lot of people just think of Syracuse as just being a blue collar city, but it is an area in transition. Health care and education is big here now too.

Here's some more information: City of Syracuse

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syracuse University

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

Sensis Corporation - Detect the Difference

SRC

Anaren Microwave - microwave components, subassemblies, LTCC, ceramic processing, Wireless, Space, and Defense Electronics, Amitron

We have a Lockheed Martin here too: MS2 | Lockheed Martin , Quality, Environment, Safety & Health (QESH) Policy (http://www.lockheedmartin.com/ms2/siteinformation/syracuse/QESHP.html - broken link)

Very affordable housing market, that is stable too: CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Syracuse Neighborhood Information + Homes For Sale | CNYREALTOR.COM (I think you would like the neighborhoods by Syracuse University like Westcott, University, Meadowbrook and Outer Comstock) , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat..._Neighborhoods , http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/...ersityhill.htm

Syracuse Arts Net Home , Syracuse Arts Net Directory

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/

and much more......

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-19-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or